PDA

View Full Version : stock axle nut on a durablue axle?

polcat1p
01-16-2006, 03:22 PM
how come my stock axle nut wont stay tight? It took me 3 hours to get it off to put in a durablue axle, but now it wont stay tight. is there any tricks besides duck tape or antifade nut?

NacsMXer
01-16-2006, 03:35 PM
It's not staying tight because it's a STOCK axle nut. You should have thrown that thing in the garbage the first time you took it off the stock axle. Once you take them off the first time, they never seem to stay tight again. Mine played games with me, just kept spinning and spinning like it was stripped but would not loosen, then somehow finally caught threads and came off. You don't want to be in that situation because then you'll have to cut that sucker off.

Save yourself a bunch of future headaches and purchase a RAD dual pinch bolt axle nut for $35. Mine hasn't budged a bit since the first time I installed it
;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p2427774e167bb87bead6f5aa359f3834/f0e2c2ea.jpg

polcat1p
01-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
It's not staying tight because it's a STOCK axle nut. You should have thrown that thing in the garbage the first time you took it off the stock axle. Once you take them off the first time, they never seem to stay tight again. Mine played games with me, just kept spinning and spinning like it was stripped but would not loosen, then somehow finally caught threads and came off. You don't want to be in that situation because then you'll have to cut that sucker off.

Save yourself a bunch of future headaches and purchase a RAD dual pinch bolt axle nut for $35. Mine hasn't budged a bit since the first time I installed it
;)
thanks
where did you get it?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p2427774e167bb87bead6f5aa359f3834/f0e2c2ea.jpg

FoxRacing81
01-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Just get it as tight as you can, then wrap both of them in electrical tape and onto the axle. Works for me, and mine never comes loose.

-Justin

Chino886
01-16-2006, 04:16 PM
did you try loc-tite, recommended in the manual.....

NacsMXer
01-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by FoxRacing81
Just get it as tight as you can, then wrap both of them in electrical tape and onto the axle. Works for me, and mine never comes loose.

-Justin

Hey, that works too, but just wait till the day he cracks a swingarm like I did, and absolutely cannot get the stock axle nut off to install a new swinger!!

Definitely not worth chincing out on a $35 nut that is just as good as the $200+ antifade nuts IMO :o

- Polcat, I got mine from: www.radmfg.com :)

edit: it appears they upped the price to $49 now :ermm: , still a bargain compared to the other antifade options

FoxRacing81
01-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Hey, that works too, but just wait till the day he cracks a swingarm like I did, and absolutely cannot get the stock axle nut off to install a new swinger!!

Yeah, that would suck! I have never had a problem with mine though...maybe I'm just lucky. Hardest thing for me was figuring out how the damn thing comes off! haha...

NacsMXer
01-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by FoxRacing81
Yeah, that would suck! I have never had a problem with mine though...maybe I'm just lucky. Hardest thing for me was figuring out how the damn thing comes off! haha...

Yeah I know what you mean. I was "lucky" for a while as I had removed and reinstalled my stock axle nut without problems till I cracked that swinger. Of course, right when I really need to remove it, it starts to play games, haha I love it :p

FoxRacing81
01-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. I was "lucky" for a while as I had removed and reinstalled my stock axle nut without problems till I cracked that swinger. Of course, right when I really need to remove it, it starts to play games, haha I love it :p

Haha...but, hey, that's how it normally works, right?