PDA

View Full Version : Engine Work

ohsobad_chevy
01-16-2006, 10:31 AM
I have the general concept of how a 4 stroke engine works and i can do the simple work/maintenance on my quad myself. I am not comfortable taking the engine completely apart and putting a cam or replacing the top end, etc........ For all of you guys that can tear an engine down and replace the piston, cam, crank, or whatever, How is the best way to learn how to do all that. I have always wanted to learn more about 4 strokes and i think Im gonna start now. Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks,
Mat

EvilJester400EX
01-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Buy a service manual. Read it, learn it, study it. It's very easy as long as you have something to guide you.

underpowered
01-16-2006, 10:59 AM
yup, pretty much what EvilJester400EX said. buy a service manual and get your tools. there is not that much to the engine, and it is fairly self explanitory. the manual is a pretty good guide if you get stuck. after you do it for a while it is easy. i can take apart my 400ex or a 300ex in my sleep. after the top end, the tranny is similar to a two stroke, if you have ever been inside one of those.

bwamos
01-16-2006, 11:22 AM
An ATV engine is the perfect engine to learn on. Simple single cylinder, single carb, setup.

Servce manual as the others have said. It will be your best friend. It's a great investment.

ohsobad_chevy
01-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Cool, Thanks for all the input fellas. Ill get me a service manual and study it.

Thanks,
Mat

400exrider707
01-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Best way to learn how to do it is to actually do it for yourself, the manual will help TONS! Its like your own personal cheat sheet.

zeppelin
01-16-2006, 05:48 PM
you definetly need a manuel but i am waaaaay too a.d.d. to do what jester said. there arent really any secerets to it and the only way to learn it to take it apart just make sure to keep all od the bolts in a bucket, clean everything before you put it bacl in the motor, loctite everybolt that had loctite on it before, and left over bolts are alot worse that missing bolts :ermm: