PDA

View Full Version : 8 plate clutch

EPDP99
01-16-2006, 10:14 AM
ok well i think the stock clutch finally gave out. After just barnett springs its holding force of the 465 is weak at best. I have an easy pull lever but it so easy its sad. I am trying to find out what i need to use the 8 plate setup. What do i need to do as far as basket work. by the way its an 01 and had 2 years of abuse with the 465. If you guys could let me know what is the best setup as well as things i will need to mod or also get besides clutch plates that would be cool. Thanks in advance.
Eric

Rico
01-16-2006, 01:36 PM
If your still running your stock basket then I would DEFINITLY replace it.

I"m running a Hinson basket with the 8 plate kit and love it. I didn't do anything special with the addition of the kit. Basket, heavy duty springs and plates was all I purchased. Contact Laz at GT Thunder and get his kit.

01-16-2006, 02:14 PM
My 400 has a sparks 8 plate clutch kit with hinson basket I believe. works nice, but you have to use 2 hands to pull the clutch in.:ermm: well not quite but you get the idear.

coryatver
01-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I would get the GT thunder one becuase it has a modified plate so that there is more room the other kits don't and you loose a lot of adjustment.

NacsMXer
01-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
My 400 has a sparks 8 plate clutch kit with hinson basket I believe. works nice, but you have to use 2 hands to pull the clutch in.:ermm: well not quite but you get the idear.

I have a full Hinson 8 plate setup that was modified by Laz at GT Thunder. He was telling me that the backing plate on the stock basket is the weakest link in the clutch and prone to breakage if it is not replaced.

I think you need a Magura hydro clutch like I have. My clutch pull is easy as can be! ;) :D

EPDP99
02-06-2006, 10:47 PM
well ive been trying to call since i posted this. almost everyday. I e-mailed him and asked a bunch of questions and came up with the price and thats about it. I need to know everything i need. What comes in his kit. Is it everything i need? gaskets come with it? everything except the springs are stock 2001 clutch components. oil changed very regularly.

Rico
02-07-2006, 07:01 AM
With a fresh lubed or new cable, my RTC lever and the clutch properly adjusted the clutch pull on mine is smooth as butter. That's with the heavy duty springs and no GT Thunder mod.

Trailrider400ex
02-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by mittimj

I have a sparks 8 plate kit, a hinson basket and pressure plate, with the stock clutch lever and cable. Still easy to pull!!

tprender
02-07-2006, 06:58 PM
If you have a hard time pulling in the lever, you most likey need a new cable.
With my 440 kit I was going though clutches twice a year. Had Laz machine the plate and then got the rest of the parts for the 8 plates setup from him. After that, I got over a year out of the plates. Very good setup from him.

pmptrk
04-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by EPDP99
well ive been trying to call since i posted this. almost everyday. I e-mailed him and asked a bunch of questions and came up with the price and thats about it. I need to know everything i need. What comes in his kit. Is it everything i need? gaskets come with it? everything except the springs are stock 2001 clutch components. oil changed very regularly.

I am in the same situation. Though he is very hard, if not impossible to get ahold of, I find it hard to buy from a person with that poor of customer service. What did you end up going with?

coryatver
04-17-2006, 09:50 PM
You can get a hold him him just redial redial redail for about an hour and you will get through. His phone rings before he sets it down. He has good customer service but is really really busy

rummerd
04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
I think there are two ways to go here. I only know the expensive route. I have the full Hinson setup, basket, hub, pressure plate. The hub is deeper to accept 8 stock thickness friction(fiber) plates. I think that you can machine your stock basket to accept the 8th stock plate, but if strength of the stock basket is already suspect...... I am not sure, but I think that the "8 plate kits" are a thinner friction disk. It should give you more clamping power, but I am not sure how long it lasts compared to a stock or Hinson 8 plate setup.

jiffers
04-18-2006, 01:46 PM
laz is hard to get hold of and his e-mails are very very short but the quality is 2nd to none and customer service is good

pmptrk
04-18-2006, 06:03 PM
C&D has the sparks kit AND excellent service. I don't feel like I have had to TRY to purchase something from them- very great to work with.