PDA

View Full Version : Wiring help needed please.....

cracer250
01-16-2006, 09:29 AM
I need some wiring help from you guys. I have an 86 250r that I'm trying to get running.

Can you tell me the minimum electrical components that are needed to make it run properly? I'm NOT using any lights at all. I currently have the kill switch, CDI, coil, as well as the stator wires.
I don't have any regulator or anything else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any guidance on wiring this stuff would be great as well! I have a good wiring harness.

TheFontMaster
01-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Well it looks like you have everyuthing that you need. Just hook it up, and you should be ready to go.

ranger400ex
01-16-2006, 09:52 AM
CDI needs needs hookups to stator (3 wires plus 1 for center tap)
1 output to Coil
3 wires and 1 tao to voltage regulator.

Kill can hookup to the coil

cracer250
01-16-2006, 10:33 AM
OK, so I do need a voltage regulator? Thanks for the advice. You've helped so far...

Chris.

TheFontMaster
01-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by cracer250
OK, so I do need a voltage regulator? Thanks for the advice. You've helped so far...

Chris.

The voltage regulator only controls power going to the headlights, and tail light. Your not going to run ether, so you don't need the voltage regulator. If you want you can keep it hooked in there, but it's not going to do anything.

Do you know where all the wires go, and what hooks into what? If you have a teather kill switch, and you're not running lights, then you can also get away with not running the factory kill/light switch.

cracer250
01-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, I don't really know what goes into what. I know the harness has the correct connectors on it for the CDI and stator, but that's it. Also, I do have a tether kill switch. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Dave83
01-16-2006, 04:38 PM
If your harness still has all the cdi/stator plugs,then that is pretty simple.The square plug will only go one way and the round ones you just match the wire colors.The green wire will mount to the frame(usually around the radiator mounts).The tether switch will have one wire to ground,put it where you put the green wire.the other side will go to the black coil wire.If it is a pro design switch,be sure to take the wire coming out of the aluminum side to ground and the other to the black coil wire.

cracer250
01-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the help Dave!

ranger400ex
01-16-2006, 07:39 PM
I was adding the regulator just for the incase of lights. you can run without it..but it is an easy hookup too. it does help "filter" the circuit a bit too, but not a big deal

BMW

cracer250
01-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I've also read of some "pulse generator" thing. Do I need something like this or am I good with just the coil, cdi, harness, stator, kill switch?

Thanks. I think I almost have it.

ranger400ex
01-17-2006, 06:27 AM
"pulse generator" should be your timing pickup...it is in the bundle of wires coming out of the flywheel side.

BMW

cracer250
01-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Ok. That's what I thought it was. That is already there.

Thanks for all of the help.

cracer250
01-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows the complete electrical system?

If someone would even draw me up one, that would be great! My e-mail is cjlevely@dow.com

Chris.

wilkin250r
01-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Sure.

You got more questions, just ask. I know a thing or two about electronics.

cracer250
01-18-2006, 09:04 AM
That's perfect! Thanks!

wilkin250r
01-18-2006, 11:49 AM
You sent a couple questions in PM, but the whole point of this forum is to share information, so lets answer those questions out here in the open.

Thanks for the wiring diagram! Hey, I'm trying to hook everthing up and I'm not too sure what wire I need to ground. Can you help me with that? I have spark the way it's hooked up now, but there NO grounde wires.

Are you doing your own wiring, do you not have the factory wiring harness?

The green wire is hooked to ground, and then it runs to all places that need ground. It actually only hooks the the chassis in one spot, I believe.

wilkin250r
01-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Oh, and I'm trying to wire this up with no lights, and no factory kill switch. Just with a tether style switch. Any help on that would be great too!!

Without lights, you obviously don't need the lights themselves, and you also don't need the voltage regulator.

Look at the diagram and trace the wires. If you are using the factory wire harness, you have the two plugs for the CDI, and the plugs for the pluse generator. The 86 doesn't have the ignition switch, so ignore that part of the diagram.

The kill switch is very simple. There is a black and white wire coming out of the CDI. The kill switch connects this to ground to kill the spark. All you need to do is splice into this black and white wire. Connect one side of your kill switch to this splice, and the other side to ground. When you "pull" the tether, it closes the connection between the black/white and ground, and kills the spark.

cracer250
01-18-2006, 12:38 PM
OK. My only question now is the white wire coming from the stator. Is this just for lights only? Can I cap that off and not hook it to anything?

Thanks!

wilkin250r
01-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Yeah, you can just cap that off.

The stator has separate windings for lights and ignition. The stator sends several hundred volts to your CDI to be used for the spark "energy". This comes from dedicated windings on the stator. This energy gets stored inside the CDI. Eventually, a "trigger" will come, very low voltage, and tell the CDI to release that energy through the ignition coil, and eventually the spark plug.

The windings used for the lights are completely separate from the ignition. That's the white wire you are talking about. If you're not running lights, you can just cap off that white wire.

cracer250
01-18-2006, 01:03 PM
I think I've got it. Can you look at this diagram for me and see if I'm correct? This would be a hookup without lights and with a tether kill switch.

Thanks.

wilkin250r
01-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that looks good.

You want to watch which end you hook the black/white wire to your tether. Your tether installation instructions should have it.

Many tether kill switches have an exposed electrode, some sort of bare metal. If you hook that to the black/white wire, you could get a shock. Not enough to burn, or throw you off your quad, but it WILL be enough to make you take notice. That black/white wire has a couple hundred volts on it.

cracer250
01-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks a lot!