PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars

blackwell17
01-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Yea, I know this is like beating a dead horse but I cant find my answer anywhere. I am lookin to get new handlebars for my 400ex but cant really decide on what to get. I hear the TAG, Renthal, and Pro Taper are the brands to look at but are they THAT much stronger than other bars? What about "FLY" bars - what is the deal with those cuz they are pretty cheap. I dont MX or do any type or racing at all, just recreational use so I dont need the top of the line bar. Any help? If it helps, I am 5'7 - dunno if you need to know on what to tell me of what size height bar to get.

Thanks for the help!

yokeracer
01-16-2006, 06:29 AM
I just put Fly bars on mine yesterday. They are wider, and have a flex to them. Absorbs some of the shock from ridin. I like them.

ReconRider25
01-16-2006, 06:51 AM
the moose racing bars are made by pro taper but cost alot less.;)

400EXtreme
01-16-2006, 11:21 AM
are you looking for 7/8 bars or 1 1/8 bars. i love pro tapers.

underpowered
01-16-2006, 11:30 AM
IMO you cant beat a fat bar. i have Azonic double-cross twin wall bars on mine. i love the 1 1/8 bars, i probably wont ever go back to a 7/8 bar on anything.

For brand, fly makes decent stuff as does moose. get what you want. if you dont think you need a renthal, dont get renthal, its that simple. the fly bars are decent, that is what we stock where i work.

miller821
01-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I got the msr bars and there kinda like the fly and i flipped it and they didn't budge. Just be sure to get the two peice, i wouldn't go with one peice.

NacsMXer
01-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by blackwell17
Yea, I know this is like beating a dead horse but I cant find my answer anywhere. I am lookin to get new handlebars for my 400ex but cant really decide on what to get. I hear the TAG, Renthal, and Pro Taper are the brands to look at but are they THAT much stronger than other bars? What about "FLY" bars - what is the deal with those cuz they are pretty cheap. I dont MX or do any type or racing at all, just recreational use so I dont need the top of the line bar. Any help? If it helps, I am 5'7 - dunno if you need to know on what to tell me of what size height bar to get.

Thanks for the help!

All brands aside, when it comes to handlebar selection you have two choices: 7/8" standard bars or 1 1/8" fat tapered bars.

The fat bars are going to be much stronger than standard 7/8" bars. They also will be much more forgiving on you due to the lack of a crossbar, which allows the bars to flex downward more during a hard impact.

Now, you said you just do recreational riding, so a fat bar is not a must-have, but I will tell you that it will be very close to indestructable. Just because you are not racing, does not mean that you will never possibly roll your quad. I have seen 7/8" bars that were bent as a result of a bad rollover. Whether they bend or not really depends on the nature of the crash. I can also attest that I have NEVER ever bent a 1 1/8" bar before. My quad has been through some nasty tumbles and have only bent steering stems.

Don't get me wrong, there's super-tough 7/8" bars out there like Renthals and Tags (which i've had) but the 1 1/8" fat bars will always be much stronger and less prone to bending.

As far as bends go for a person your height I would suggest to stay away from the popular CR high bend. This is a good bend with an aftermarket extended steering stem but would be much too low for you if you still have a stock steering stem on your quad. With a stock length stem, a CR Double High or Mini High bend would suit you nicely without much bending over during stand-up riding.

400exmkt
01-16-2006, 12:20 PM
I like the moose bars. I cart wheeled my bike a few time about 3 months ago and they didnt bend at all, my steering stem folded all the way back to my gas tank though. For how cheap they are they are a very good bar.

blackwell17
01-16-2006, 12:26 PM
alright...thanks for all the replies guys!! Looks like Moose is a good bang for the buck bars that is decent in quality.

bmurray
01-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Johnny @ JHRacing has a bunch of new 450r takeoffs, cheap. You can find his number in the parts 4-sale forum.

TRX_450
01-20-2006, 08:39 PM
my flys....i love em...best bar ive used IMO

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/pecf7c707b99d2768114214b938dfa778/f0d92e5a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p6c5286da66de95a7742fbd6e093167b6/f0d92e2e.jpg