PDA

View Full Version : tire questions

94F450SD
01-15-2006, 10:21 PM
ok ive been reading for a few days here.ive found that many of you like either the razr 2s or the holeshots on the rear.i think im leaning towards the razrs.but what i cant figure out is what do they mean when they say 19 or 20 inch tires?is that the overall hieght of the tire?i need a little more ground clearance in the back.the new skid plate bottoms out alot andi get stuck sometimes.

i need something that will have a good life expectancy.i run in the woods that are sandy with some normal type woodsy dirt surface and on pavement.now im guessing i should get a 6 ply tire?im not really worried about wieght.im not racing it just beating the snot out of it in the woods and parking lot at my shop.

im not "new" to these things but am new to owning and hopping them up so to speak.i have a new 2005 400 EX.so far i cut the baffle/spark arrester thing out ofthe muffler,sounds whicked now!!and ive got a DG skid plate in the back and DG nerf bars with the webbing.other than that its all stock.sad part is ive ridden it 3 times and havent even got to kill the first tank of fuel yet.wheathers been a little crappy lately.went from almost 60 degrees for the last couple days to the 20s over night.

thanx for your time and help.

JOEX
01-15-2006, 10:29 PM
19 and 20 inch does mean the overall height but from what i've read the 'true' height varys from what is on the sidewall.

I have Kenda Klaws and are great so far but I don't get to ride much...

miller821
01-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Sounds like you need 6 ply for sure, and defintely razr2s are the way to go if u do do a lot of trail rides.

Blue600
01-16-2006, 06:29 AM
I put 6 ply Razr2's all the way around on my bike. They are tough, last a long time and hook up well.

94F450SD
01-16-2006, 07:15 AM
now how tall are my stock tires?i could measure them but im not at the shop right now.if i go with a 20" tire how many teeth do i need to go up on the rear sprocket to stay close to stock gearing or a little bit lower than stock?

i want to go by the ATV shop and see if they have the razrs or the holeshots and see how much they aregonna cost me there.rockymountainatv.com has them for 50.00 each for the razrs.with shipping they would be around 160.00.but they are temporarily out of stock.

thanx for the help

underpowered
01-16-2006, 08:02 AM
stock 400ex tires are a 20" tire. many aftermarket 20" tires are taller than the factory one. i have Holeshot XC's 20x11-9 and my tires are almost 21" tall, if i am thinking right the factory tires are only like 18.5 or 19" tall actuall height. I personally dont like teh X pattern like on holeshots or razors. i love Kenda Knarly's. IMO there is not a better tire for trails on the market. the 20" is like 19 inches tall, the 22 is a tru 22", they also now have an XC version that comes in a 21", it is about perfect for trails.

for gearing stock is 14/38 on the 05 model. actuall height of the tire will change this slightly but lets say your stockers are 19" tall and the tires you are getting are 21" actuall height. that is like a 10% gearing change, to keep it at stock levels or slightly below you would need about a 42 tooth rear sprocket to be slight lower than stock. you could go down 1 on the front or go to a 41 tooth rear and be a little higher than stock gearing. to be completly accurate i would need teh exact heigth of the stock tires and the new tires.

94F450SD
01-16-2006, 08:49 AM
i may be wrong but iremember the honda guy telling me my stock front sprocket was 15 tooth.i wanted to go down 1 tooth but honda doesnt make one a tooth lower than stock.unless the guy i dealt with didnt know what he was talking about.

underpowered
01-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by 94F450SD
i may be wrong but iremember the honda guy telling me my stock front sprocket was 15 tooth.i wanted to go down 1 tooth but honda doesnt make one a tooth lower than stock.unless the guy i dealt with didnt know what he was talking about.

if it is an 05, you have a 14 tooth sprocket, if it is an 04 model, you have a 15 tooth sprocket.

miller821
01-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
if it is an 05, you have a 14 tooth sprocket, if it is an 04 model, you have a 15 tooth sprocket.

Yup. Mines an 04 and its 15 and i no 05 and 06 they changed it to a 14.

94F450SD
01-16-2006, 09:04 PM
ok great :mad: i went to order a smaller sprocket,the guy looked in the book and it listed a 15 tooth as stock so i ordered a 14 tooth.i knew i shouldve went to look at it and count the teeth before i ordered one.so now im probably stuck with the 14 tooth that does me no good.

but anyways i ended up getting a set of holeshots for the rear.they were actually cheaper than buying online.they didnt have the razrs.when the warm wheather gets here ill try some different tires as im sure ill need a new set by then and ill get the razrs then.