PDA

View Full Version : Am i too lean?

drifterx
01-15-2006, 09:30 PM
I just got my HMF and K&N on, and rejetted to what Dynojet said in their instructions (118 main, and stick in the new needle, with the clip on 4), and redid the mixture screw 3 turns out. It didn't say anything about an air filter, just an aftermarket exhaust, but the front said the "stage 1" was for an exhaust and air filter, so i just stuck it there. I know Dynojet jets are bigger than normal, and that setting was recommended for anything below 3000ft. elevation. My elevation is 1200 so i think i'm ok with that. I took it out for a ride 5 minutes ago, and it ran great, no cutting out, and idled good. But when i parked it, the whole exhaust was hot, including the HMF. It was hot enough i couldn't leave my hand on it for more than a second or two. Is this normal? Am i too lean? I know its suppose to be hot after running it, but is this too hot?

Another question... they said to put the little washer on top of the e-clip on the needle, and i forgot to put it on, and its all back together. So is the little washer necessary?

Thanks!

2muchquad
01-15-2006, 09:38 PM
i dont think you'll need the washer as long as its not UNDER the e clip which will raise your needle making it richer.if you dont know how to read your sparkplug,i would put a bigger main in the kit and run it until it doesnt want to rev out on top and then start going down to the next smaller main until it cleans out.better rich than lean:)

drifterx
01-15-2006, 10:20 PM
I just pulled the plug, and it was khaki colored, so it must be close, or ok. And the washer isn't on, so i sure as hell didn't put it under the clip. ;)

drifterx
01-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Anyone else know about the washer?

bwamos
01-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Should be ok. Just keep it so you can put it back on next time you have it apart. Basically you can put the washer under the clip for a 1/2 adjsutment.. or on top of it if you dont want a 1/2 adjustment. That's what it's used for. It's really used as a shim for fine tuning, not a washer.

The dynojet kit was right on the money whan I had my K&N, and FMF Performax Exhaust at 900ft.

If you're runnin with the airbox lid off, or holes punched in the lid, you want to run the stage 2 (which is what I ran). It uses the DJ128 main.

It will run hotter than stock. More air, more fuel = more energy = more exhaust heat.

If you're worried you can go up 1 size on the main and try it out. Won't hurt anyhting. And if you already have the carb off to do that, put the washer back on the needle. ;)

drifterx
01-16-2006, 11:56 AM
ok. Thanks!