PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP "Vynil Siding"

Pappy
01-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Well the winds ripped thru here last night like a train on crack:mad: A large portion of my homes siding is now dispersed all over the place. Thank fully no water damage.

I have no idea how to re vynil the house as that is what will need to be done, the wind loosened the back of the house and destroyed a section 20foot long or so.

Is this something I can tackle myself? Any advice or assistance is helpful!

450r#221
01-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Its not hard at all.You got to be handy with a tape measure,a saw,and snips.Make sure your starter strip is level and your corners are plumb.Unless your changing the color or the style is discontinued you shouldnt have to replace the J channel around the windows.Shoot me a PM if you want details.

Honda TRX250ex
01-15-2006, 09:06 AM
i built houses in the summer and did roofing and vynil siding too.

You will need is a good pare of snips with a 4 or 5 inch blade. or you can use a circle saw with a fine tip blade on it. a tape measure. hammer and some ROOFING nails.

Ok to start you need to measure out a lenght of the first peice. Cut it out. When installing the siding ALWAYS ALWAYS start from the bottom up. Put it up against the last peice of siding that wase'nt riped off. There should be a edge on the peices of siding that connect together kinda looks like a 6 and a 9 dont laugh :blah:. Put it up against the last peice and than push up on the last peice till it clicks. Make sure that it clicks to lock it in. .MAKE SURE THAT ITS UP AS FAR AS IT WILL GO and down anymore than take a roofing nail and hit it in the nail slots. (try it hit the studs too). DO NOT HIT THE NAIL ALL THE WAY IN LEAVE ABOUT A QUATER INCH OF THE NAIL STICK OUT!!! because when the weather warms up the vyinal get bigger and it has room to move. if you dont do this it will most likey crack or bubble. Than just countuine on from there. It a hell of a lot easier if you have another person out there to help you. So get cody and have him help! father and son quality time :macho. but seriously its a lot easier to have more to help.

If you go to your local home depo store they will show you the peice that you need like J channels and F channels and all the other fun stuff.

But the things in bold make sure you do because i cant tell you how many time when we were building house we had to fix peoples homes because the last people that were there installing the siding didnt do.

and yeah, man that wind was horrible last nite. knocked out are power and we didnt have no heat all nite. and it was like 5 dregs out there froze are @$$es off too. its still going here lol

Giz400ex
01-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Claim it on your homeowners and have your insurance pay someone else or have contractor write a estimate and submit it to your insurance and it depends on how your ins company writes there checks, maybe they'll write the check to you and keep the money and do it yourself??? I would need to see a pic to see what you actually would have to do. Siding is very easy if you know how to read a tape measure???:confused:

450r#221
01-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Also,when your cutting with the saw,be sure to use a plywood blade(many small teeth)and put it on the saw backwards so it melts through the vinyl,otherwise it will crack especially when its cold.And like 250ex said."HANG" the siding,DONT nail it home.This allows for expansion and contraction.

SRH
01-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Well the winds ripped thru here last night like a train on crack:mad: A large portion of my homes siding is now dispersed all over the place. Thank fully no water damage.

I have no idea how to re vynil the house as that is what will need to be done, the wind loosened the back of the house and destroyed a section 20foot long or so.

Is this something I can tackle myself? Any advice or assistance is helpful!

siding is pretty easy, just make sure like they said starter strip is even, do not nail the siding tight allow room for expansion/contraction in the hot and cold, so basically nail it in the center of the slot, nail it ever 16 inches, keep track of it with a tape or if you have a good eye to make sure its not running on you, no pieces smaller than 16 inches, all you really need is some roofing nails, a tape, some shears and a hammer , also you do not butt one piece of siding up to the other this wont allow it to expand youll see what i mean when you start,dont line up any seams,start one end for one row, then another end for the other row, umm what else, if you put a cut piece in the cut portion must be at the corner where its not seen thats about all i know.....for the style of siding im use to...if you usually get wind from one direction is your siding lapped in the opposite direction? if its not theres a good chance the wind will get under it again

bulkdriverlp
01-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
i built houses in the summer and did roofing and vynil siding too.

You will need is a good pare of snips with a 4 or 5 inch blade. or you can use a circle saw with a fine tip blade on it. a tape measure. hammer and some ROOFING nails.

Ok to start you need to measure out a lenght of the first peice. Cut it out. When installing the siding ALWAYS ALWAYS start from the bottom up. Put it up against the last peice of siding that wase'nt riped off. There should be a edge on the peices of siding that connect together kinda looks like a 6 and a 9 dont laugh :blah:. Put it up against the last peice and than push up on the last peice till it clicks. Make sure that it clicks to lock it in. .MAKE SURE THAT ITS UP AS FAR AS IT WILL GO and down anymore than take a roofing nail and hit it in the nail slots. (try it hit the studs too). DO NOT HIT THE NAIL ALL THE WAY IN LEAVE ABOUT A QUATER INCH OF THE NAIL STICK OUT!!! because when the weather warms up the vyinal get bigger and it has room to move. if you dont do this it will most likey crack or bubble. Than just countuine on from there. It a hell of a lot easier if you have another person out there to help you. So get cody and have him help! father and son quality time :macho. but seriously its a lot easier to have more to help.

If you go to your local home depo store they will show you the peice that you need like J channels and F channels and all the other fun stuff.

But the things in bold make sure you do because i cant tell you how many time when we were building house we had to fix peoples homes because the last people that were there installing the siding didnt do.

and yeah, man that wind was horrible last nite. knocked out are power and we didnt have no heat all nite. and it was like 5 dregs out there froze are @$$es off too. its still going here lol this kid knows what hes doing. just do it yourself, contractors are expensive. make sure you overlap the horizontal peices too, end to end a couple inches for expansion. put up some pics we can help ya

JDiablo
01-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Make sure you have a piece start with the factory left and factory right too in the right places.

For your starter strip get a level and draw a line across and do it on three or four diffrent spots,then get a chalk line and mark it.
If it was a area with windows and what not,you will have to cut J-channel,which can get tricky.I suggest getting a good knife too,also a triangle (a straight edge).A pair of red and green good snips as said before,a pair of bigger straight edge snips.Get a fine tooth plywood cutting saw blade.And you should be set to go.

QuadJunkies
01-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Claim it on your homeowners and have your insurance pay someone else or have contractor write a estimate and submit it to your insurance and it depends on how your ins company writes there checks, maybe they'll write the check to you and keep the money and do it yourself??? I would need to see a pic to see what you actually would have to do. Siding is very easy if you know how to read a tape measure???:confused: Thats what I was gonna suggest.. And it shoudlnt effect your rates any :) . If your Deduc. is decent I would just do a claim. Thats what its for! :)

We had several homes the 1st year I moved here that lost a big portion of there vinyl and the yall had there home owners take care of it .

Pappy
01-15-2006, 03:32 PM
thanks for the tips guys, i will be making calls in the morning to get a qualified company out here.

i could proably manage doing sone repair or even a easy section, but i have a huge house and wouldnt want to screw it up.

as far as insurance, WV has to be the worst for it. we are so scared to claim anything

Aceman
01-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
[B
as far as insurance, WV has to be the worst for it. we are so scared to claim anything [/B]

Then what's the point of having it?

Pappy
01-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Then what's the point of having it?

you have to have insurance to even get a mortgage.

using it for what could be a $2k repair isnt needed, id rather not upset the waters if ya catch my drift:p

Aceman
01-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Ohhh, I'm picking up what you're laying down.:p

Pappy
01-15-2006, 03:55 PM
insurance as of late is a funny animal...

when we bought this house, we had TONS of trouble getting insurance. the reason they stated is that we had 3 claims in 10 years at our old house..

1) windstorm all but leveled our garage. roof gone, took my jon boat over the gargage and smashed it into my blazers windsshield, dropped the powerlines, it was a mess. $2200 repair bill. insurance was $1100 a year

2) ice storm laid down 2 60 foot maples on the house. not any damage to the house, but a $1200 bill for getting them off the house safley. again, $1100 a year for insurance

3) pipe busted and for 8 hours water filled the basement, $3700 repair bill. again $1100 a year insurance bill

they claimed that we had 4, and we did sort of. a thief stole codys 1 week old XR50. they wouldnt cover it because it wasnt used in the upkeep of the property. no problem, i can understand that. yet they claim that it was indeed a claim even tho they did not pay a cent.

so in ten years, $7000 payout, versus $11,000 pay in.

with that in mind, we are not having luck with insurance..lol i could see if our house burned up every 5 years but acts of god noone can predict or control.

the insurance agents in WV tell me that the rates are high and hard to get covered simply because so many residents do not have insurance and the state laws are set up to protect the individual not the insurance company so very few underwrite policys and rates are pricey.

QuadJunkies
01-15-2006, 03:58 PM
OUCH.. MY deduct. is 500.00 I think :scary:

coolex
01-15-2006, 05:32 PM
im 16 and i did half a house by myself not that hard at all

Honda TRX250ex
01-15-2006, 05:42 PM
my house has wood for side panels :macho

nowukno
01-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah the winds were BAD last night. I stayed at a friends cabin he & his family built in Princeton WV and i thought the dam roof was gonna come off. My bed was actually shaking when i was trying to sleep. :ermm:

coolex
01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
nowukno are you sure it was the wind and not me and ur mom in the bunk bed below u:devil:

Honda TRX250ex
01-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by coolex
nowukno are you sure it was the wind and not me and ur mom in the bunk bed below u:devil:

:devil:

nowukno
01-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by coolex

I knew when i posted that there would be a smart @ss reply.

300exOH
01-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Pappy, I wouldn't bother claiming it on my insurance either since it's a small job. If you decide to do it your self the cost of the siding will be most likely much less than your deductable. I sided my entire 24x32 pole barn with the help of my wife and a friend in about 8-10 hrs. It's super simple to do and if you follow some the advice above you'll have it fixed in no time at all. Most contractors will mark up the price of the siding by more than 50% plus the price of labor.:eek2: It's such and easy job I doubt I would ever pay anyone to install vinyl siding when I can do it myself for less than half the cost. A buddy or two and a case of your favorite beverage helps too.:devil: