PDA

View Full Version : Cashier's Check???

TREDZ71
01-14-2006, 03:55 PM
I've sold my motorcycle on Ebay. The guy is looking to pay with Cashier's Check....what are your thoughts on this?

I've been reading a thing or two about cashiers checks and still don't know if this is a safe way of payment....

What do you think?

brian250racer
01-14-2006, 04:24 PM
I've never had any problems with cashiers checks or money orders. I would rather have that, than a personal check.

Bound4Dirt
01-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Don't. It's a scam! An old one at that. Cash only. Give him a bill-of-sale if he wants. If he wants it shipped. Tell him Postal money order ONLY and tell him you will cash it at the Post office BEFORE shipping. See what he says :cool:

derekhonda
01-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Tell him you are going to wait 2 weeks until after it cashs before shipping. If he has a problem with that tell him to drive up and pay cash.

HondaEXrider22
01-14-2006, 04:26 PM
How far away is he from you?

Ralph
01-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Im pretty sure you are safe with a money order / cashiers check. I dont know of anyway to cancel a m.o.

Bound4Dirt
01-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Im pretty sure you are safe with a money order / cashiers check. I dont know of anyway to cancel a m.o.

Please read on the scams before you give advice! They aren't real! They are fake. You will find out in 2 weeks from your bank, the cashier's check or money order was fake and you DON'T get your money and your bike is gone. Do some reading..PLEASE

TREDZ71
01-14-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm in Wisconsin and he is in Kansas.

I offered the Paypal route and am awaiting his response.

Thanks.

4oorider
01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
dont you usually get money orders from the bank, and when you get money orders you already paid for the amount on the order to the bank, so i think it is fine, cuz you already had to pay for the amount ont he check, so i think youll be fine, and say you are not gonna ship until the check clears

Ralph
01-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Bound4Dirt
Please read on the scams before you give advice! They aren't real! They are fake. You will find out in 2 weeks from your bank, the cashier's check or money order was fake and you DON'T get your money and your bike is gone. Do some reading..PLEASE

First of all relax. Breathe... Money Orders are real and so are cashiers Checks. Im sure its possible to fake one like ur talking about an if it makes you happy i have read something like that. NOW that does not mean EVERY one is fake.

If people found a way to fake M.O's and cashiers checks something would be done already and most banks would have already been notified to look for them. IM NOT SAYING THAT ITS NOT TRUE, BUT I WOULDNT GET NUTS OVER IT.

Now here is a more realistic solution. Tell him to screw the M.O or the Cashiers check and have him western union the money over if he is not in the area.

TREDZ71
01-14-2006, 05:25 PM
I hear ya Ralph. If he doesn't accept the Paypal method....I was going to suggest Western Union or a bank-to-bank wire.

Lurch
01-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by brian250racer
I've never had any problems with cashiers checks or money orders. I would rather have that, than a personal check.

Wait a minute. Before paypal I always paid with a cashiers check.

Check the buyer's rating before you go off the deep end.

brian250racer
01-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Lurch

Please re-read my post...Never had a prob with them!!:D

Where at in kansas is he from? If he doesn't have a paypal account, I might be willing to meet up with him and paypal you the $$$. Let me know..

TREDZ71
01-14-2006, 05:53 PM
hey brian...i appreciate it.

i researched the buyers feedback and it all looks good.

i'm going to wait to see what this guy says.

thanks for the help.

Lurch
01-14-2006, 05:54 PM
I meant to quote this one....

Don't. It's a scam! An old one at that. Cash only. Give him a bill-of-sale if he wants. If he wants it shipped. Tell him Postal money order ONLY and tell him you will cash it at the Post office BEFORE shipping. See what he says :cool:

Bound4Dirt
01-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Lurch

Here is the problem with paypal. Unless you can prove he picked it up (IE; signed paper with his state I/D attached to prove signature) he can have them charge it back. I am old enough and been around to see problems. Your call. You asked for advise, take it! =) Not being rude, just trying to help you avoid your next topic.."How do I get my money or dirtbike back"

Bound4Dirt
01-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
First of all relax. Breathe... Money Orders are real and so are cashiers Checks. Im sure its possible to fake one like ur talking about an if it makes you happy i have read something like that. NOW that does not mean EVERY one is fake.

If people found a way to fake M.O's and cashiers checks something would be done already and most banks would have already been notified to look for them. IM NOT SAYING THAT ITS NOT TRUE, BUT I WOULDNT GET NUTS OVER IT.

Now here is a more realistic solution. Tell him to screw the M.O or the Cashiers check and have him western union the money over if he is not in the area.

Your young. The problem is real and still goes on. I am not 20 nor 30..OLDER been around. This scam is a bad one.
Anyway's...take it...your bike not my mine. I am done. I tried to help. No one these days offers to buy with money order nor cashiers check. No reason. If he is at distance, then tell him you will wait 2 weeks for it to clear like I said. If you have made up your mind then take it and move on.

Bound4Dirt
01-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by TREDZ71
I hear ya Ralph. If he doesn't accept the Paypal method....I was going to suggest Western Union or a bank-to-bank wire.

Best advise yet. Bank-to-bank. Nothing else. Seen Western Union fraud also. Bank-to-bank is the best route and he has a receipt if he needs one.

Quad18star
01-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Accept the cashier's check ... they are safe . The amount of people out scamming with fake checks are very minimal .

I don't know about your bank , but I have an insurance for a certain amount with my bank in case someone scams me or gets access to my account .

Always ask the persons full name , address , phone number , etc . If you doubt the person is a fake or not , run a reverse phone number lookup and see if the # matches the persons name and addy .

You can also go to the bank , ask them to give you your account info to transfer funds directly from bank to bank . I did it with my last transaction and worked well . The guy in New Jersey should get his parts any day now .

Bound4Dirt
01-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Accept the cashier's check ... they are safe . The amount of people out scamming with fake checks are very minimal .

I don't know about your bank , but I have an insurance for a certain amount with my bank in case someone scams me or gets access to my account .

Always ask the persons full name , address , phone number , etc . If you doubt the person is a fake or not , run a reverse phone number lookup and see if the # matches the persons name and addy .

You can also go to the bank , ask them to give you your account info to transfer funds directly from bank to bank . I did it with my last transaction and worked well . The guy in New Jersey should get his parts any day now .

I wouldn't want to be the one person making the 1% or whatever :cool:

Ralph
01-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Your young. The problem is real and still goes on. I am not 20 nor 30..OLDER been around. This scam is a bad one.
Anyway's...take it...your bike not my mine. I am done. I tried to help. No one these days offers to buy with money order nor cashiers check. No reason. If he is at distance, then tell him you will wait 2 weeks for it to clear like I said. If you have made up your mind then take it and move on.

Dont get bent out of shape by a 17 year old. Im not selling my bike. But i have and everything went fine. :cool:

stiffy
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM

We just recieved a Cashiers Check for $4000 for a camaro we sold on Ebay. Cashiers Checks and Money orders are fine just make sure it cashes before you give up the bike that's what we did. There was a number on the check that our bank called and verified the funds. They aren't always bad. We have been contacted more times than I can count from the scammers they usually give more than what the item is being sold for.

TREDZ71
01-15-2006, 03:21 PM
I just heard form this guy, and he said that he is willing to pay Paypal.

I have a question though...if he pays Paypal and I accept, is there anyway he can cancel payment before my bank processes the money? Reason-being, when I accept money, it takes 3-4 business days to process....

Maybe I'm being paranoid. I just don't wanna get screwed outta $3500.

Thanks.

Bound4Dirt
01-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by TREDZ71
I just heard form this guy, and he said that he is willing to pay Paypal.

I have a question though...if he pays Paypal and I accept, is there anyway he can cancel payment before my bank processes the money? Reason-being, when I accept money, it takes 3-4 business days to process....

Maybe I'm being paranoid. I just don't wanna get screwed outta $3500.

Thanks.

Are you picking up what I am laying down? Yes. It's called charge back! All he has to say is he never got it and he gets ALL his money back. You have to prove he got it. The ONLY thing pay pal accepts is a signed paper from the both of you and his driver license attached showing matching signature. Call paypal and ask them.

brian250racer
01-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Are you picking up what I am laying down? Yes. It's called charge back! All he has to say is he never got it and he gets ALL his money back. You have to prove he got it. The ONLY thing pay pal accepts is a signed paper from the both of you and his driver license attached showing matching signature. Call paypal and ask them.

Man...Have you been burned before, or what?

Aceman
01-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Jesus.....this thread is still going! Accept the cashiers check, deposit it, wait 2 weeks to be sure and complete the transaction. Unless you want to get charged the 3% fee through Paypal, then go that route. He has good feedback, so take the check and be done with it. I've paid for a Mustang with $10000 cashier check. Bound4Dirt I think your making him paranoid. You've been around longer than I have but the buyer has made it clear he's willing to pay with Paypal or cashiers check, that's good enough for me.