PDA

View Full Version : Wheel loose

Wandell
01-14-2006, 11:12 AM
I was just sliding my 400ex around in the garage and noticed the left rear wheel is slightly loose. I thought the lugnuts may have been loose but they are tight. It looks like the hub may be slightly loose. I notice there is just a little bit of play between the hub and axle on this side, but there is no play at all on the right side. The cotter pin is still in the large nut that secures the hub to the axle. Could the problem be as simple as this nut was not tightened enough? Does anyone know how many ft/lbs of torque should be on this nut? Sorry for the dumb question.

Franky G
01-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Its not a dumb question it happened to me lots of time but just tight it back and your good to go !

JOEX
01-14-2006, 03:05 PM
It's happened to me as well. Take it off put, put some fresh grease in there and tighten it back up to 101 ft lbs. If the holes for the cotter pin doesn't line up continue tightening until they do.

trx400exxracer
01-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
It's happened to me as well. Take it off put, put some fresh grease in there and tighten it back up to 101 ft lbs. If the holes for the cotter pin doesn't line up continue tightening until they do.

do that^^^

this happen to me

I went to practice saturday for a xc track and I came back and was putting in to the shop after I washed it to get it ready to race Sunday and I noticed it, man that was wild but I got it fixed:eek2:

Wandell
01-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys!:D

kilabeez0
01-15-2006, 10:16 AM
my lugnuts always come loose. the only thing holding them on is the cotter pin :eek2:

stc416rider
01-15-2006, 08:15 PM
my dad had a problem wit that he had bad bearings

blakefoote
01-16-2006, 09:18 AM
its the hubs...take your wheel off, take the catter pin out, and tighten it back up, and put it all back togther

#8red
01-16-2006, 11:37 PM
on my lonestar +2 / +4 axle - no matter how tight my nut is - there's allways a little slop between the axle / spacer - are they all like that???

QuadJunkies
01-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by kilabeez0
my lugnuts always come loose. the only thing holding them on is the cotter pin :eek2: I lost my Cotter pin AND .............MY TIRE! :eek:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199430&highlight=snow

Fourwheelerstud
01-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by #8red
on my lonestar +2 / +4 axle - no matter how tight my nut is - there's allways a little slop between the axle / spacer - are they all like that???

I have the same prob. if i tighten the nuts all the way i cant fit the cotter pin. and without the cotter pin i loose the ntu all the time because it comes lose while im riding.

K&N filter
LSR axel
LSR E-Brake block off
HD tires
T-9 rims
Hot Cam

Scro
01-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Fourwheelerstud
I have the same prob. if i tighten the nuts all the way i cant fit the cotter pin. and without the cotter pin i loose the ntu all the time because it comes lose while im riding.

Are you using a castle nut? Oh, and you can setup a signature under "user cp" at the top of the page. So you don't have to type it every time.;)

K_Fulk
01-17-2006, 09:34 AM
I usually put thread lock on the threads, and put the hub nut back on ith my impact. Never had any problems with the hubs coming loose after I did that.