PDA

View Full Version : maintenance on my new 400ex?

sprt400ex
09-27-2001, 09:16 PM
hi i just purchased a 2000 400ex? can you tell me what and when i should, grease chain, filter change oil, please tell me what else i should do to keep my bike up in tip top shape?
thanks

Leo
09-28-2001, 04:59 AM
I usually lube the chain and check every thing else over after every ride...

I change the oil, filter, and clean the air filter element after every other good weekend of riding...

Leo

400ex Magnum
09-28-2001, 12:52 PM
sprt

I kind of depends on the type of riding you are doing. I ride a lot at Wayne National Forest. This place is hard on equipment. Lots of sticky clay mud and rocks. When I get back home from a weekend of riding and get general clean up done, I do the following:

1. Clean the chain with Kerosene and relube with Maxim Chain Wax.

2. Pull the brake calibers off and clean and inspect the pads and calibers. Be careful, the rear pads will not last long if you ride in muddy conditions.

3. Remove and clean the air filter. I also clean the inside of the airbox out.

4. I generally change the oil after about two weekends of riding, depending on how hard I have been riding. I would say that I get around 20-30 hours of riding before changing the oil and oil filter.

5. I adjust the valve clearance about every 50 hours of riding. The manual says 100 hours, but I would rather be safe and it is not very difficult to do.

6. General inspection for any loose or missing parts. My ex seems to be loosing some of the rubber seat mounts. They are cheap to replace though.

The best purchase you can make is to buy the service manual from Honda. Do the work yourself and save.

4punksdad
09-28-2001, 03:41 PM
I oil my chain whenever it starts to look dry. Use a good quality motorcycle chain lube. I inspect & clean my air filter before every ride. I change my oil & filter every couple of months, or sooner if it starts to look dirty. don't forget to use a good quality air filter cleaner & foam filter oil. Keep the inside of the airbox clean. keep cables & moving parts lubed.