View Full Version : driving me nuts

exracer416
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
is the 06 electric start really that bad????? Im in the process of buying one and kinda nervous after reading about this.. any input???

01-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by exracer416
is the 06 electric start really that bad????? Im in the process of buying one and kinda nervous after reading about this.. any input???

from what i hear it is, ive never had the chance to ride one as of yet, but soon i will

i really wouldnt be too scared of it unless your doing gncc or something like that where you need to get started fast

the kickstart is out in some places now, you may just want to wait for it, if it was me, id wait, i love the kickstart, but its all up to you on what you do

goodluck :macho

exracer416
01-13-2006, 09:10 PM
yup i race in the woods maybe ill just have to keep the ole 400 another year i dont really think i need all that power but i kinda want something new any advice?

01-13-2006, 09:12 PM
there is no substitute for a 450, even if there were no power gains, the knocked off 50 pounds makes a huge differance, i would definantly still consider a 450, maybe just the 04 or 05 model, which you can pick up very cheap at a honda dealer, thats my advice for you, or you can just wait for the 06 kicker to get to your area

yamablaster24
01-13-2006, 09:18 PM
well im absolutely in love with my 06 even tho it doesnt run right now ( keeps blowing fuses because i hooked up kill switch wrong) but i think i got it figured out

beany
01-13-2006, 10:52 PM
I never had any problems with my 06. I also am in love with the thing!! Starts easy everytime when warmer out. Takes awhile when its really cold out and you have the gas turned off. I turn off the gas and run it dry everytime I'm done riding, so it might just take alittle time to get the gas back in it. But like stated earlier I would'nt worry about unless you were doing dead start racing. I've turned up my idle and it seemed to help the starting alot . Thats my two cents

01-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by beany
I turn off the gas and run it dry everytime I'm done riding, so it might just take alittle time to get the gas back in it.

thats really bad for your engine. it leans it out so bad that it dies everytime, your greatly reducing your engine life if you keep doing this. i used to do it too

miguellevesque
01-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by exracer416

i just had mine yesterday and it starts fine in a warehouse at -30 celcius....not farenheit...electric is fine dont worry

400excracer
01-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
from what i hear it is, ive never had the chance to ride one as of yet, but soon i will

i really wouldnt be too scared of it unless your doing gncc or something like that where you need to get started fast

the kickstart is out in some places now, you may just want to wait for it, if it was me, id wait, i love the kickstart, but its all up to you on what you do

goodluck :macho

I wouldnt worry about it. I race XC and have facter starts now with estart. Ive seen too many guys trying to kick start their quad at the line when everybody else is already gone.

Abrannan19
01-15-2006, 07:38 PM
like the other 06 guy said I love my 06 electric start and have never had 1 problem starting...most of the people complaning are hardcore racers that have to do dead starts ...i have had mine for 1 month now and i love it..the key is to not touch the gas when starting..get the 06 you will love it it is soooo strong suspension is great..love highly reccomend it

01-15-2006, 07:48 PM
The electric start isnt bad at all once u break in the engine. I am used to it n know exactly how to start it perfect.

If u rev the engine a little right before u shut the quad off it starts up really easy. ;)

Also its been like 10 degrees i just turn on the choke, pump the throttle a couple times n she fires right up. It will idle till it runs out of gas. Never stalls.

Diedrich
01-15-2006, 10:03 PM
i have an 06 i dont dont think its any harder to start then a 400ex...after it warms up it will fire right up everytime..u just gotta know how to start it right

Lonestar_R
01-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Mine isn't completely broke in yet....it still starts a little hard in the cold......but changing the pilot jet will help this alot too...they are very lean to begin with from the factory....don't worry....the few times I rode mine in the fall it started fine out on the trails....which is a hell of alot easier than getting my fat ***** off the seat to kick it.... like my 250R

KRMit
01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't have any trouble starting mine. If your mixture screw isn't set right you will though. I would advise you go ahead and get one of the aftermarket thumb screws. If it's cold I'll choke it, pump the throttle once or twice and it'll fire right up. Once warmed up, it starts without choke or pumping throttle.

KOG
01-16-2006, 12:35 PM
what do u mean u have to know how to start it right all electric start quads are pretty much the same all u do is turn the key and hit start but my 06 450r has has problems to with starting even when i first got it the first day it wouldnt start right so i just kept driftsatring it

thrasher_ex
01-16-2006, 02:09 PM
what he means is that it is kind of tricky to start it. you cant give it any throttle, it helps a lot to pump it a few times before you start it, extremely hard to start in the cold(for me anyways)...that kinda stuff, it just takes getting used to.

trx450Rrider
01-16-2006, 02:09 PM
yes u do need to know how to start it. my friend who owns a yfz cant start mine. it starts everytime for me. all you need to do is turn the idle up alittle when u get it and dont touch the throttle at all when starting. most people give the thing gas and that makes it not start(like my friend does). i had an 04 before and the kickstart is nice but electric starts fine.

E.POWERSPORTS
02-01-2006, 10:46 AM
So what is everyone's consensus on this? Has anyone else had an obvious issue with this and overcome it? Has anyone altered the jetting specs from the 06 HRC kit and had success? I am not looking for the people that have no problems with theirs, but the people who have had problems and overcome them. The units we have had here started perfectly off the showroom floor.

450rJam
02-03-2006, 06:18 PM
my 06 w/hrc starts great (just dont even touch the gas) hell start it with your right hand if you have to. turn the idle up 2/3 turn and she is set. Oh yeah i had the hrc installed at factory before i took it home. not sure of the diff it made but good golly i love it

STR330R
02-03-2006, 06:25 PM
me and my girlfriend both have the 06 and we both have no problems with them and they start like a dream.

kx515
02-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I have three friends with the 06 and all three of them have had problems with them starting. One guy to the point that it made me get an 05 instead of an 06. They mainly are having problems once the bikes are warm. The bikes are acting like they are flooded or somthing. Also the battery seems to be low on voltage. When they are cold they start really easy. This starting issue doesn't happen all of the time. It's usually after an hour or so of riding. My 05 starts on the first kick most of the time.. I am very happy with it. Plus I saved over $1000 by getting the 05. The one guy that I have ridden with the most has an hrc kit and it really didn't help the starting issue like some have said.

Hope this helps ya. Remember that this is just my experience with them. From the post on here it seems that most people are not having problems.

:ermm:

Abrannan19
02-03-2006, 09:20 PM
the only and i repeat the ONLY time i have any problem with mine starting is when i am drag racing and running the crap out of if for an extended period of time wid open throtle..and its only done it once ..it just cut of and took me a few seconds to start it back up but it started ..seemed as though there was not enough fuel supply through the carb b/c it had a full tank of gas..other than that one time no problems from mine

Quad Boy 660r
02-03-2006, 09:49 PM
A guy I know has a 450ER, and it just died at the top of a hill!

It cartwheeled like 5 times and landed in a creek.

He didnt stall or nothin, it just died, at quite possbly the worst time imaginable.