PDA

View Full Version : Alky Ques...

400EX QUADER
01-13-2006, 08:54 PM
please ONLY respond if you know factual answers... thanx... Is Alky same reliable as racegas?? howmuch faster does alky burn than 92 octane?? what should I know about it? where do ya get it? oh and how many more hp will it give me with my 416 and lectron alky carb?? than just a racegas with the 416 and regular lectron?? anything else I should know I would love to hear... BTW this will be for dune riding only...
thanx

R3Concepts
01-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 400EX QUADER
please ONLY respond if you know factual answers... thanx... Is Alky same reliable as racegas?? howmuch faster does alky burn than 92 octane?? what should I know about it? where do ya get it? oh and how many more hp will it give me with my 416 and lectron alky carb?? than just a racegas with the 416 and regular lectron?? anything else I should know I would love to hear... BTW this will be for dune riding only...
thanx

Alky is VERY tempermental.. It burns cooler by about 10 degrees, and 2.2 times as fast as race gas. Alky leans out a bike, so it needs to be jetted way up and in some cases, no main jet at all..Might gain 3-5 HP by using it. In our minds not worth it..Better have a big tank if you are going to run alky on dune rides. Any speed shop will carry it.

race-a-holic
01-17-2006, 06:18 PM
I use alcohol for my banshee.I'm fairly sure the 4-strokes will have some things in common.Alky bikes need more compression,advanced timing,and need larger fuel lines.Some builders prefer the pingle fuel valve.Get rid of anything that might cause restriction of the fuel.The carb will need a bigger jet.I'm not sure what size though.

nakomis0
01-17-2006, 07:49 PM
We run alky on a few banshees and a z400.

I've never seen the need for larger fuel lines. The carb will need to be set up for alky wether it be just a matter of larger jets or getting the carb drilled out.

I wouldn't trail ride with it, or ride for extended periods of time.

It will go through fuel fast. And there will be much more maintence. Plus you will have to buy the stuff and it has to be stored properly.

It is fairly safe to run IMO. We got dynos of 5-10hp on the banshees the z hasn't beened dynoed on it but I would guess about 5hp.

If you got a drag bike.. go for it. If its not strictly for drag than its to much of a hassle.

wilkin250r
01-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
Alky is VERY tempermental.. It burns cooler by about 10 degrees, and 2.2 times as fast as race gas.

Alcohol burn slower than race gas, thus the need for the timing advance.

1BADYFZ
01-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Nope he's right. On alky you'll drain your tank twice as fast as regular gas.

Eddiesanders250
01-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Alcohol burn slower than race gas, thus the need for the timing advance.

Nope he is right, it will burn slower. This was explained to me by a guy who builds sprint car engines.

wilkin250r
01-19-2006, 01:15 PM
You USE twice as much alcohol as regular gas, it doesn't BURN twice as fast.

For actual combustion, inside your cylinder, the alcohol is burning slower than regular gas.

The benefit behind alcohol isn't that it's "more explosive" than regular fuel. In fact, pound for pound, gasoline has more chemical energy content than alcohol does.

However, alcohol requires less oxygen to burn. So for a given amount of air, you can use more alcohol. For example, lets say at perfect jetting, you are using 0.2ml of gasoline for every combustion stroke at full throttle. Alcohol requires less oxygen, so at perfect jetting, you can use 0.4ml.

0.4ml of alcohol has more chemical energy than 0.2ml of gasoline. More energy, more power output as it burns. :cool:

R3Concepts
01-19-2006, 01:20 PM
So basically we got quoted on a technicallity, since we consider "using" the same thing as "burning"

You "use" 2.2 times as much Methanol as you do regular gas..

It may "burn" slower due to Methanol leaning out a motor.

250r4life
01-19-2006, 02:02 PM
i got a buddy who used to run it, and he said he had to go through the carb and clean it out real good after every ride...

00Banshee
01-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i got a buddy who used to run it, and he said he had to go through the carb and clean it out real good after every ride...

yep, you need to purge it with gas so it won't rust from inside out. Not a big hassle though.

Eddiesanders250
01-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You USE twice as much alcohol as regular gas, it doesn't BURN twice as fast.

For actual combustion, inside your cylinder, the alcohol is burning slower than regular gas.

The benefit behind alcohol isn't that it's "more explosive" than regular fuel. In fact, pound for pound, gasoline has more chemical energy content than alcohol does.

However, alcohol requires less oxygen to burn. So for a given amount of air, you can use more alcohol. For example, lets say at perfect jetting, you are using 0.2ml of gasoline for every combustion stroke at full throttle. Alcohol requires less oxygen, so at perfect jetting, you can use 0.4ml.

0.4ml of alcohol has more chemical energy than 0.2ml of gasoline. More energy, more power output as it burns. :cool:

full of info isnt he. thanks for explaining it, again.

bradrenea
01-20-2006, 10:20 PM
I ran alcohol in my 416 with a stock carb for a while. Had to run it without a mainjet. It was jetted pretty much perfect that way. It took forever for it to warm up enough to run right. I only gained one tenth of a second in a 300 foot drag. It didn't take long for me to decide it wasn't worth the hassle of draining the fuel after every ride. But, at the time I would usually ride every day, so if you just ride on weekends or whatever it would not be as bad. One day I thought I could get by without draining the fuel since I knew I would be riding the next day. When I started it the next day it would barely run because the alcohol in the carb drew so much water overnight the water was clogging the jets.

I don't guess I really answered any of the questions you asked, but I thought I would let you know what kind of problems to expect.