PDA

View Full Version : American Star long travel

gal22279
01-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Does anyone have any input or experience with American Star long travel. I am looking maybe to get a long travel kit for my bike and I found a pretty good deal on one of these kits. Let me know thanks.
www.amstarmanufacturing.com

01-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by gal22279
Does anyone have any input or experience with American Star long travel. I am looking maybe to get a long travel kit for my bike and I found a pretty good deal on one of these kits. Let me know thanks.
www.amstarmanufacturing.com

from what ive heard, they are second rate, if i was going to spend the money on a LT setup, id get it done right and get quality a-arms with Elka Suspension

if your on a budget then im sure those would work, just not the best

slosh13
01-17-2006, 09:59 AM
JUNK:ermm: If I were you I would spend a little more green and get a better quality set of aarms like JB, LSR, Laeger, Epic, etc.

tractorpacker
01-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I have ASR A-arms, that are standard travel. The fit and quality are perfect. They are cheaper than the name brands, because they don't have to pay Gust and Jones's rent. Notice both of those guys post opinions, not facts. If I had a problem with a part I would say it is junk because..... I am 260 pounds and don't see many people jumping sand dunes further than me. If I break one of these arms, I will have other problems to deal with. They have been on the quad, since 11-04, so that is well over a year of thrashing. So if you want to help pay the pro's buy the trendy stuff, if you want quality product for a decent price, buy some ASR arms.

CdaleXtreme
01-18-2006, 11:59 AM
They are cheaper, because they use cheaper materials and and dont put any effort into developing better products.

Unlike Walsh, Roll Design etc, who are actually working to make our ATV's better.

Will they work ok for anyone, but the most serious, of big air riders and racers? Sure they will, but I wouldnt run them personally.

slosh13
01-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I agree with Cdale in his opinion of ASR a-arms. For the weekend warrior, trail rider, and maybe an occasional MX'er I'm sure they do you fine. But if you are serious about MX I would be more comfortable knowing I spent "X" amount of dollars more on a product I know is better made. But this is just my opinion.

MAD450r
01-18-2006, 01:09 PM
I do own burgards standard travel arms, most say they arent for the avid jumper. I jump all the time. Jumping and pounding through the whoops is my favorite type of riding. I am a small guy though and I only weigh 130-140 in gear.

Im sure the bigger guys would punish the arms more, so yes i'd be concerned with quality if you know you will be one in that catagory.

I wish I could have spent on lone star's, I have all lonestar and elka's on my 416ex, it cost me about 3500$ maybe a bit more to widen that. Now on my 450r im running a g-force axle 200$ and those burgard +2+1 standard travel arms. 390$ to my door. Then I spent just about 800$ on redoing all 3 of my stock shock's and added a new rear link. So that being said if your on a budget as I was with my R you can still save lots and make your quad handle much better and not empty your wallet.

That is my opinion anyways, not something to live by.

KRMit
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
I installed the ASR LT arms and PEP shocks on my quad last Friday. I purchased the arms through Mike via Ebay (QuadPartsGuy). He's been a great guy to deal with. I have a couple complaints but nothing major. One of the tie-rods I received was the wrong diameter and unusable (so I lengthened a stock one to get through a race). I called Mike and should receive replacements this week. My other complaint is that the brace on the bottom arms is too close to the shock springs and will tear outerwears. I fixed this by bending the braces down a little.

I hammered through the whoops last weekend faster than anyone in my class or the class above me. I shorted a couple jumps and the PEP/ASR soaked it right up. If I had it to do again I might spend the extra money on some Housers or something, but I'm still happy with ASR.

yamablaster24
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
they do have geometry problems. I had them on my blaster and if you jumped on the front end the frame would smack the ground. When taking off a jump it scraped the top and well it lose a lot of momentum. :rolleyes:

440ex kid
01-18-2006, 06:06 PM
they do have geometry problems. I had them on my blaster and if you jumped on the front end the frame would smack the ground. When taking off a jump it scraped the top and well it lose a lot of momentum.

I have houser Lt's and when Take off sometimes it scrapes the ground. Its all in the shocks not the geometry of the a-arms :rolleyes:

KRMit
01-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah, that's all in the shock setup. Mark Baldwin had me mount the arms and take some measurements before he built the shocks. He sets them up to bottom out the with the frame 1.5" off the ground.