PDA

View Full Version : Whats the signs of a bent steering stem.

vpofthedrc
01-13-2006, 04:59 PM
I flipped my bike on Christmas Eve, junked the bars for sure, but with the bike sitting level, and the wheels turned, one wheel turns much further than the other. The tie rods look straight. The bearing at the top of the steering stem is busted apart. Would a bent steering stem cause this situation with the tires.

hondajoe05
01-13-2006, 05:23 PM
im pretty sure mines bent too.... i have a different problem tho i have some new bars haven't fliped it since and i barely brushed a tree and now my bars feal like they are bent and if i drive it straight it goes slightly to the left im pretty sure mines bent

yours might be a arms... or something maybe a bent rim cuz if it was a bent stem both wheels would be outta aline IMO

tprender
01-13-2006, 05:29 PM
There are 3 different things that could have happened.
1. You could have twisted the stem. Get the handlebars straight when setting on the quad. Then look at the front wheels. If both wheels are pointed left or right. The stem is twisted.
2. If only 1 wheel is pointed left or right. You most likely have a bent tierod.
3. If the handlebars are not level then the stem is bend.

With that said, you could have all 3 of these or maybe 2. Do some close looking.

vpofthedrc
01-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Both wheels go in the same direction, but they do not turn evenly. one wheel lags behind the other one.

tprender
01-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Sounds kind of like a twisted stem and a bent tierod. Look the 2 tierods over real good to see if one of them is bent somewhat. Alos, at the bottom of the stem . Put the piece that the 2 tierods bolt to in the middle position. Are the wheels pointed straigh ahead? And are the bars also straight. Do you understand of I am trying to say? This will help say if the stem is twisted.