PDA

View Full Version : Programmable CDI

balls2da-wall
01-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Alright I have a CRF450EX Hybrid and ive been looking at the Vortex and Dynatek programmable CDI's. My question is can you run different time curves to help deal with either smoothing out the power or making it radical? Also, do they make them for a crf450 engine or would a TRX450R be the same thing. What im wanting to do idealy is be able to switch between 2 programs with a push button so I can run a smooth powder curve in the tight woods and when I get to an open section or on a start I can flip it to "buck wild"

Thanks

balls2da-wall
01-13-2006, 03:58 PM
well after looking I found the one I saw in a magazine. Vortex CDI's have the button to run two curves and they sell them for a CRF450. Has anyone heard anything about these or know anyone using them. I just want to tame the crf down in tight woods but want to use it full potential in open spots and starts. (reason I did this conversion)

zeppelin
01-13-2006, 08:58 PM
the vortex and dyna have like 10 or 12 curves programed in them, their is a dial on the box that allows you to choose two of the curves, and a switch that mounts to your bars so that you can toggle between them while ridding

wheeltrax
01-15-2006, 02:41 PM
do these CDI boxes really help that much?

balls2da-wall
01-15-2006, 03:54 PM
See im not out to find a CDI to give me gobbs of power. I just need a CDI that I can program in two maps so I can smooth out the bottom and middle ends to suit woods race yet be able to toggle back to "all out power" like the crf has already for open spots. I run XC and have a CRF450EX Hybrid in the works but need some way to control the low-mid range power in the woods.

deathman53
01-15-2006, 04:20 PM
I have a vortex box on my crf450 hybrid, I notice a difference between the two programed settings in mine(supposibly it was programmed by curtis sparks, what ever that means). I usually put in on max power, on tight and when its muddy I put it on max torque(much smoother power). Max power and mud, my bike doens't go anywhere, it just spins the tires, when I put it on max torque, it pulls in the mud and doesn't spin so much.

balls2da-wall
01-15-2006, 04:33 PM
thats exactly what I was hoping to hear:p

Chicksdigme423
01-15-2006, 04:42 PM
MSD has a controllable box for 400ex's i'm not sure if it would work the 450r motor, you could look into that, i know though, they do have a switch for the handlebars... food for thought

01-16-2006, 01:19 PM
see I thot it had 2 diffrent timing curves for diffrent octane gas.

say you are running a high comp piston that still runs on pump. but when you advance the timing it starts to detonate, so u would run race gas. then for the week days when you are puttin trou the trails you could retard the timing some to allow you to run pump gass. but with less power.