PDA

View Full Version : Weight lifting

400exrules
01-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Ive been kinda interested in weight lifting for awhile but i have never gotten real serious about it. I have afew dumb bells and crappy bench set that i workout with like, once a week or maybe once every two weeks. I would like to get bigger and stronger. Plus it will benefit me some when i start racing harescrambles. I dont really have anyone i could goto a gym with to start workin out with, so should i just workout at home with what i have? I would like to buy another bench press set (a nice one) to use. Im only really interested in upper body. I'd like to take some kind of supplement also. Should i get another set and some more dumb bells, and workout at home or try to find someone to goto the gym with, so i can take advantage of all the machines? What all do you really need at home to strengthen and tone your upper body? I'd like to focus on arms, shoulders, chest, and abs.

thanks

EDIT: im 5'10 and 145lbs with some muscle and almost no fat, im pretty skinny.... but i want to up my bench, and get bigger mainly in the chest, arms and shoulders

trict_out
01-13-2006, 04:09 PM
find someone to go to the gym with, and remember the old saying, "arms are for show, legs are for go." if you are training for any sport work with your legs more.

400exrules
01-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by trict_out
find someone to go to the gym with, and remember the old saying, "arms are for show, legs are for go." if you are training for any sport work with your legs more.

im not training for a sport, well....it would benefit my riding, but i just want to basically bulk up my upper body and get stronger

Hon300ex
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
if you just want to work on your upper body then what you have is fine

wildbillz400
01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I've been lifting for a couple of years now and if your trying to get into shape for riding than you NEED to work on your legs. Do a lot of reps and get them conditioned. I just started riding last year and even though I went to the gym all the time my legs were always sore after riding. If you want a great excercise, either ride a bike or run. Not only will that build your legs, but your heart will be in great shape. Also, if you really want to work out at home then buy a few dumbells (ranging in weight) and focus on technique and conditioning before you worry about bulk. The bulk will come in time. I found a good suppliment for beginners in some Cell Tech and Nitro Tech. And make sure you have a good diet. Weight lifting is only 10-15% lifting and 90-95% diet. do some research if you're serious.

wildbillz400
01-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
[B
EDIT: im 5'10 and 145lbs with some muscle and almost no fat, im pretty skinny.... but i want to up my bench, and get bigger mainly in the chest, arms and shoulders [/B]

Also, I've seen people with a huge upper body and no lower body and trust me if your body is not proportianate then you WILL look funny. just food for thought.

400exrules
01-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by wildbillz400
Also, I've seen people with a huge upper body and no lower body and trust me if your body is not proportianate then you WILL look funny. just food for thought.

ya, well i played soccer for 7 years and ive gott pretty good strong legs, i dont have toothpick skinny legs, but their not as strong as they used to be

400exrules
01-13-2006, 05:28 PM
and instead of spendin abunch of money on protein supplements while im startin out, could i just swallow some eggs like 30 min. after a workout? Or is it possible to do without throwin up

wildbillz400
01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Just make sure you get a good scource of protein into your system no more than 30-45mins after your workout. Thats when your body needs it the most.

400exrules
01-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by wildbillz400
Just make sure you get a good scource of protein into your system no more than 30-45mins after your workout. Thats when your body needs it the most.

whats could i eat or drink for protein besides protein shakes and stuff, could i swallow acouple eggs and drink some milk after a workout? its hard to think about drinkin milk after a workout but it has 8g of protein in 1 cup, should i drink some?

come on, i know theirs some weight lifters on this site....all you football guys, gimme some tips

Camaroguy87132
01-13-2006, 08:17 PM
i bought a bench with the bench press, curl up, leg thing, and other ****.. for like 100 in walmart last year, it came with 140lbs which wasnt enough, so i bought like 100lbs more for 50.. its good for what i want it for, which is for toning body and building muscle..

stocktires
01-13-2006, 08:39 PM
www.bodybuilding.com

for riding, I'd focus on legs, back, and abs. But workout everything. That website is a goldmine

01-13-2006, 08:45 PM
my cousin is a personal trainer, he set me up with a 6 day a week workout plan

what you really need to do is get a personal trainer that you can tell what you need to focus on, and have him show you what you should be doing etc, and have him make a plan that suits you and your needs

my plan is based on overall body and a lot of cardiovascular work, which is an ATV racing workout, i usually drink an ensure after each workout, besides the runs or bike rides, i make sure to take in a lot of water and eat after that

if you want to do chest and arms, you would want to do benchpress, incline, decline, and normal, you would want to do all the tricep workouts, such as pulldowns, overhead, etc, you would want to do curls, forearm and regular, and do shoulder raises etc

trx400exxracer
01-13-2006, 08:51 PM
get a trainer they tell you what to do and you do it I had one in 7th grade and went from benching 85lbs to 135lbs in a month and a half

nowukno
01-13-2006, 10:30 PM
I started working out about 10 months ago 3-5 days a week and when i started i was 185 lbs and benched 155 (max). Now im 200 lbs and bench 245 (max). I do alot of regular bench , incline & decline bench. I also do alot of tricep exercises which is a big part of your bench and ofcourse i do some curls & pull ups for biceps. Im alot stronger and bigger than i used to be.

250r(quadman19)
01-13-2006, 10:38 PM
i'll be honest, i hated working out when i started but the more and more you do it the more interested you become. just keep pushing yourself and ull thank yourself later. i got on some anabolic steroids and it gave me some incredible results. my bench press went up by 80lbs in 3 weeks! it pretty much turned all the fat on me into muscle. i went from weighing 160 to 176lbs and that was all muscle mass

Rdhanded2
01-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by 250r(quadman19)
i'll be honest, i hated working out when i started but the more and more you do it the more interested you become. just keep pushing yourself and ull thank yourself later. i got on some anabolic steroids and it gave me some incredible results. my bench press went up by 80lbs in 3 weeks! it pretty much turned all the fat on me into muscle. i went from weighing 160 to 176lbs and that was all muscle mass

If you need steroids then you are a f'in *****! There is a reason they are illegal. Suck it up and do it the natural way like a man.

terko440
01-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Some safety advice for you. I used to be a powerlifter in highschool and used to hit the weights pretty hard. But I'm not sure I may have been using the best breathing technique. It may seem hard to do but you should try to exhale somewhat while pressing even if you seem to lose power when doing this. A few years back I had what's called a hernia. It was basically a blowout or my intestine or something trying to protrude out of my body above my groin area. When you completley hold your breath and lift your basically compressing your inards just like a piston and cylinder which is putting pressure on your body. I have been told this can happen at any age and isnt always related to weightlifting. Didnt mean to ramble on but just breath while working out and be careful.

Jake250ex
01-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Some safety advice for you. I used to be a powerlifter in highschool and used to hit the weights pretty hard. But I'm not sure I may have been using the best breathing technique. It may seem hard to do but you should try to exhale somewhat while pressing even if you seem to lose power when doing this. A few years back I had what's called a hernia. It was basically a blowout or my intestine or something trying to protrude out of my body above my groin area. When you completley hold your breath and lift your basically compressing your inards just like a piston and cylinder which is putting pressure on your body. I have been told this can happen at any age and isnt always related to weightlifting. Didnt mean to ramble on but just breath while working out and be careful.

yeah no joke man. go to the open forum main page and scroll down a bit and you will see a thread I started about how I borke my wrist yesterday doing cleans. Always make sure to have a spotter when using free weights like you have and wear a weight belt when cleaning, squating or doing good mornings. What they said was true, you will do it at first because you just kinda force yourself to then you get hooked on it. I started a class of HARD lifting and training at my school and after an hour a day of that I go to the gym for a few more hours. I could go on for days about this. Be sure not to do as much weight as you pssible can, it will be wastig your time if you arent doing it in the correct form.

I would start out with sets of 3, 70% max and do 10 reps. And repeat the cycle a couple times.

wildbillz400
01-14-2006, 09:41 AM
whats could i eat or drink for protein besides protein shakes and stuff, could i swallow acouple eggs and drink some milk after a workout? its hard to think about drinkin milk after a workout but it has 8g of protein in 1 cup, should i drink some?

meats have a lot of protein. A good rule of thumb is for every pound that you would like to weigh, consume that many grams of protein per day. I always try intake almost 1.5x more protein than i'm trying to weigh. So if you want to weigh 185lbs try to consume 185 grams of protein per day. I still would recommend some kind of protein/weight gaining suppliment. You can get the GNC brand pretty cheap. Just remember the bigger the tub you buy, you get more for your money.

stocktires
01-14-2006, 10:46 AM

come on, i know theirs some weight lifters on this site....all you football guys, gimme some tips

check out that site, but any meat, eggs, milk, peanut butter, or cottage cheese

gun32boarder
01-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Take a look at bodybuilding.com This site will show you everything from proper diet, proper lifting and has a great store. You can pick up a 5lbs tub of Whey for $30 + $2-3 for shipping.

400exrules
01-14-2006, 05:49 PM
my birthday is comin up in a few months so i think im gonna wait and get a nice weight bench and just workout at home.

and i found this electrical body fat analyzer online, anyone know how these things work? or how u use them?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1832276&cp=2057738.710956.693968&view=all&parentPage=family

PolarisRider06
01-15-2006, 09:56 PM
a good site to check out would be the BFS site... just search "bigger faster stronger" on google or something and you should be able to find it. a lot of college football teams use the program. it helped me a lot and i wasnt the most serious about sticking exactly with the program. i went from weighing 155 in the middle of 8th grade i got up to 190 pounds by the end of last year (junior year) i know its not a lot but i wasn't trying to gain weight i ran a lot to keep my weight down and endurance up.

my bench went from about 85 pounds half way though 8th grade to about 190 last year when i was still lifting and i bet i could go in right now after not lifting for almost a year and still do 180. and with squats i went from about 200lbs max to about 400lbs and box squat went from about 250lbs max to 515lbs one rep max 505lbs 4 rep max 475lbs 10 rep max

stretching is a very big part in weightlifting for most people yet i never did even though i probably should have... and a good warm up is key to being able to get a good stretch. i never used any supplements or anything.

only one thing bodybuilders dont make good racers... you don't want to get huge and ripped for racing you want endurance... lower weights and more reps is the key which is what i always tried for more than just strength(FB coach didn't like that a whole lot)

je450
01-15-2006, 10:30 PM
working out does hel in racing but you can bech 500 and still get worn out after a couple laps. what im saying is that the best way to get in shape for racing is putting in some hard laps. just practice alot and that will work out all of your muscles you use for riding but work out to im just saying you dont have to be a body builder to ride.

stocktires
01-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by je450
working out does hel in racing but you can bech 500 and still get worn out after a couple laps. what im saying is that the best way to get in shape for racing is putting in some hard laps. just practice alot and that will work out all of your muscles you use for riding but work out to im just saying you dont have to be a body builder to ride.

We're not really talking about lifting for riding, just bodybuilding.

trick250r
01-16-2006, 05:28 AM
For endurance, which for riding, is what you need, do more reps with less weight. For bulk, do less reps with more weight. If you do lees weight with more reps, your muslces will not be as big, but arm pump will decrease a lot. If you go the other path and do fewer reps with more weight,
your muscles will get bulky, but no matter how big your muscles get, they will require more energy to move, thus not helping your riding.

crookedeyemoto-x
01-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Like stated before, your form and doing each and every rep. CORRECTLY is so important. Also I find working with a partner to help in motivation. I personnaly take a protein shake three times a day called muscle milk. It has 32 grams of protein per serving but with milk has 40. I like it and it seems to be working well for me.