PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

R1 ON ONE
01-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Hello, sorry if this sounds dumb but ive been looking for used quads on ebay and i see alot of bikes with powder coated frames and no titles. Are these stolen or do people just misplace the paperwork, I dont wanna buy something and have problems later on. Thanks

QuadR8cer12
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
in the ATV world almost EVERYTHING has to be aftermarket on a quad, so alot of times serial numbers get painted over after a frame is gusseted then powder coated. I know that I have not kept up with my paperwork after all the powdercoating and everything i have done to it. My engine cases are different since I got my quad also so basically everything that would relate it to the orgional machine is gone.

DVXchic
01-13-2006, 12:22 PM
my frame is a replacement frame from suzuki, i used it to build my DVX, it has no number stamped into the plate and has been powdercoated a couple of times. your best bet is to buy a bike from another source other then ebay. try the used quad section on this site, tons of great deals.
Lots of scams on ebay with quads, so be careful. but if you want parts for your bike and are on a budget ebay is a good start.
Good luck in your search:)

underpowered
01-13-2006, 12:33 PM
also in some state no title is ever issued. I live in Kentucky and if you do not want ot register your atv you do not have to. I have owned several quads and have never had a title to any of them. Even if you buy a new quad a title may or may not be issued.

wilkin250r
01-13-2006, 12:35 PM
It may not always be a stolen quad.

Quads are sold with titles from the dealer, but because they don't need to be registered, titles often get misplaced. I have five quads total, but only two of them have titles. None of them are stolen, (as far as I know), and when I sell them, I'll sell them without titles.

It's especially common on older quads. I'd be a little aprehensive about buying a tricked-out 05 YFZ450 without a title, because that just sounds odd. However, I'd have no problem whatsoever about buying 1987 250X without a title.