PDA

View Full Version : Ambulance question

red2004 TRX450R
01-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Why do Ambulances have chains hooked to the under side that hang down to the ground?

I think it is to ground the ambulance to not let static electricity build up, but then if it hits power lines your screwed!

some one told me its so def people can hear it coming when running with out sirens on?

any one know?

ak_stick
01-13-2006, 10:27 AM
actualy its for the same reason that school busses have them, they're for traction on icy roads, they are connected to a motor that spins them into the path of the wheel so that the tire can get traction and doesn't spin as much.

ballz2thewall
01-13-2006, 10:28 AM
its the ground deal! I pitty a deaf person if they don't here it coming though!

MNTNMAN
01-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ak_stick
actualy its for the same reason that school busses have them, they're for traction on icy roads, they are connected to a motor that spins them into the path of the wheel so that the tire can get traction and doesn't spin as much.

100% correct, those are automatic tire chains.

TheFontMaster
01-13-2006, 10:45 AM
I was wondering why one bus had those chains dragging on the ground.

underpowered
01-13-2006, 10:46 AM
it can be for both. They are attached to a motor that spins them and they act as a tire chian for traction in icy condition, much safer than a conventional tire chain. i have also heard about the idea of them being used are a grounding device, but have not actual knowledge of this but it seems like a plausible idea. IF you look at the state plowtrucks in the winter, they use the same type of tire chain system.

stiffy
01-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Deaf people can't hear.

harescrambles
01-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by stiffy
Deaf people can't hear.

WHAT?

:D

stiffy
01-13-2006, 02:31 PM
LOL I'm a dumb***** I didn't catch ya at first I was going to explain. I think I need a nap

Originally posted by harescrambles
WHAT?

:D :ermm:

bulkdriverlp
01-13-2006, 03:06 PM
i guessed the tire chain thing, but ive never heard of automatic tire chains. im not saying they are b.s. we just dont have them around here. can somebody put up a link to these things, im interested.

wilkin250r
01-13-2006, 05:20 PM
All the shuttle busses in Lake Tahoe have them.

They are handy, because snow can start falling and accumulate very quickly. This way, the bus drivers don't need to be putting chains on every night, and then taking them off every day, only to put them on again at night.

Just hit the button, instant gription. :p

mxdave28
01-13-2006, 09:48 PM
WOW hahaha ok they are NOT for "grounding" purposes they are for traction. there is NO motor that drives them or spins them around. you flip the switch on the dash and the arm lowers, at the end of that arm is a wheel that "runs" against the inside of the tire and that wheel has several short chains that are conected to it therefore when the tire spins the little wheel spins throwing the chains under the tires providing more traction in icy conditions.

i have knowledge of this and not guessing, 2 of our ambulances had them, all of our fire trucks have them

here is the link for ya ..... http://www.onspot.com/
there is a video for both broadband and dialup users that show how they work.

ak_stick
01-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by mxdave28
WOW hahaha ok they are NOT for "grounding" purposes they are for traction. there is NO motor that drives them or spins them around. you flip the switch on the dash and the arm lowers, at the end of that arm is a wheel that "runs" against the inside of the tire and that wheel has several short chains that are conected to it therefore when the tire spins the little wheel spins throwing the chains under the tires providing more traction in icy conditions.

Not to bust your balls, but there is both an automatic, and unpowered version of this system, most city vehicles have gone to the powered version because it holds up better under use.

Atleast this is how it is in alaska, maybe because of the climate, and use they see we run motor'd versions.

LTZ400rider
01-14-2006, 12:24 AM
im still confused how they work, i been on the bus while they were used but if its in front of the wheel and connected, how does the bus go. wont it pull the chains down, and how do they roll up? do u need to back up first?

ak_stick
01-14-2006, 12:29 AM
its not infront its next to the tire, and it spins the chain into the path of the tire, so that the tire runs over top of it, pressing the chain into the ice, thus providing traction.

mxdave28
01-14-2006, 11:19 AM
ak_stick nope not bustin my balls at all:D i just personally have never heard of the "powered" versions of the insta chains.

LTZ400rider...did you watch the video that is in that link i provided? i would think its pretty self explanitory after wacthin it.