PDA

View Full Version : Tomahawk Race Track in WV is under attack for noise

Admin
01-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Full Story
http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=128759&format=html

Pappy
01-13-2006, 09:11 AM
might have helped if the management had showed up at the meetings:ermm: earlier reports clearly stated noone from tomahawk mx attended.

track owners should take notice and be proactive before an issue develops.

I love this qoute...

"They put them off the street and put them on the dirt," Baugher said about a all-terrain vehicle ordinance adopted in 2004. "Now what do you want to do, take them off dirt?"

This is refering to the 2004 law stating that no ATV be driven on any public road, dirt bikes are ok tho:confused: yes, dirt bikes are ok...lol

And I dont see the local kids flocking to Tomohawk, they do not have the money for track entry so they keep on riding on private property and on the roads. Its a lose lose situation. Maybe that would have been a good time to inform the board that there are no legal public riding areas in Berekley County.

Track owner Chad Gochenour said he still feared, despite the reprieve, that the adoption of the county's comprehensive plan could force the racetrack out of business

The end started the day the track opened. This area is being developed at an alarming pace, and no matter how well run, or restrictive or poorly managed or unrestricted, the tracks days are numbered. Mountaineer is for sale, maybe because they are next!

I live no more then 1 mile from this track, and yes, you can hear it. Luckily im up wind and the sound doesnt carry as bad. Anyone else on the eastern side is living a nightmare and that is no joke. These mountains and valleys carry sound so bad that even stock bikes can be clearly heard:(

And lets all give a round of applause to another political genuis...
Strauss, who confessed he was not in favor of allowing more raceways in residential areas in Berkeley County, proposed passing a new draft ordinance, introduced last week that would have been enforceable from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. and would grant some protection to residents.

Im pretty sure the land was not zoned anything when it was purchased, if it were why is there an issue over zoning? According to his own words there is no zoning in this county.

And, lets pass that ordinance so the residents are protected from 10pm to 7 am. That has to be a start seeing the TRACK IS NOT OPERATING DURING THOSE HOURS! I reckon he excells at getting SOMETHING on the record so there can be further enactment in the future.

Johnny & Monica
01-13-2006, 09:45 AM
This is sad because it`s happening everywhere east coast to west coast . We`ve Had 2 tracks under attack the last few years here 1 just gave up . The other still has mx races but has become a dirtbike vs Atv thing an now Atv`s are a thing of the past there . We have lost alot of riding areas the past few years An it keeps getting worse . What can you do ? We ban together show up to the public meeting`s an listen to the poltics on it all an still lose in the end . The conservation dept. has bougth up alot of are ol`bluffs an made bike trails on trails we cut for the last 25 years since I was a kid . Now the bike riders never go there the trails have brush an trees down every where you cant hunt on that ground it just goes to waste :mad: How does a guy go about getting some of that ground back . It hurts the local bike/quad dealers They cant sell bike`s if theres no where to ride them :confused: Most public areas are 3+ hours away :grr:

Pappy
01-13-2006, 09:49 AM
I emailed almost verbatim my above response to the Herald.

The bad part is, most of these "meetings" turn into b!tchfests and makes the atv/bike riders look worse. getting organized is a good thing, but composure is key to getting them to meet you in the middle.

Admin
01-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the reply Pappy, and I figure you would find the news interesting, and I busted off laughing when I read the 10PM to 7AM noise ordinance

Pappy
01-13-2006, 03:29 PM
I dislike laws that are useless, and although i have issues with TMX not allowing quads having equal time on the track, id still fight for the cause.

Chino886
01-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Johnny & Monica
This is sad because it`s happening everywhere east coast to west coast . We`ve Had 2 tracks under attack the last few years here 1 just gave up . The other still has mx races but has become a dirtbike vs Atv thing an now Atv`s are a thing of the past there . We have lost alot of riding areas the past few years An it keeps getting worse . What can you do ? We ban together show up to the public meeting`s an listen to the poltics on it all an still lose in the end . The conservation dept. has bougth up alot of are ol`bluffs an made bike trails on trails we cut for the last 25 years since I was a kid . Now the bike riders never go there the trails have brush an trees down every where you cant hunt on that ground it just goes to waste :mad: How does a guy go about getting some of that ground back . It hurts the local bike/quad dealers They cant sell bike`s if theres no where to ride them :confused: Most public areas are 3+ hours away :grr:

I am guessing you are talking about Grindstone MX in Hamilton...that was a really nice riding area.....I miss it already.