PDA

View Full Version : replacement oil cooler/res.

L.Vegas400
07-07-2002, 04:40 AM
i went to the yama dealer today to get filter stuff and saw a replacement oil res. it held an extra quart and has eight 1" air ducts through it(aluminum). has anyone seen or heard anything about these? do you still use your stock cooler with it? i rode the dunes tonight and overheated the 400 bad enough to hear valves ticking or pre-detination, not sure which. i guess pulling a knee board on sand will do that:D

Leo
07-07-2002, 05:48 AM
sounds like a pingry oil tank...

it just replaces the stock tank, and it has a slightly larger capacity, folks have reported lower oil temps with one, but I've yet to try one (they aren't cheap!)...

FST makes a nice cooler that supplemets your stock oil cooler, but installation is a bit involved.. If anything that would problably be the route I would take (unless I broke the drain plug out of my stock tank :D).

I would think that more cooling ability would be better than more oil capacity, and the FST cooler directs the cooler oil directly to the camsaft / rockers I believe.

Leo

PsychoDave
07-07-2002, 08:08 AM
I HAVE THE PINGRYS TANK....I LIKE IT (PAID $250 TO MY DOOR-OUCH). I THINK IT HELPS A LITTLE. I LIKE THE EXTRA OIL IN THE TANK. I LIKE THE FST COOLER BUT I DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF DRILLING INTO THE HEAD OF THE ENGINE. I AM WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE A BIGGER STOCK OIL COOLER (LIKE ONE WITH 3 OR 4 MORE ROWS.) WITH THE FST I AM AFRAID OF LOWER OIL PRESSURE. JUST MY .02

PS TRY RUNNING A COLDER SPARK PLUG LIKE A: DPR9Z THAT SHOULD HELP FOR ABOUT 5 DEGREES.....THAT IS STRAIGHT FROM MICKEY DUNLAP HIMSELF

ride300exred
07-07-2002, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leo
[B](unless I broke the drain plug out of my stock tank :D).

What are ya makin fun of us guys that do that kinda stuff.
:( :huh
Ha stock oiltanks suck.

FullBore52
07-07-2002, 06:46 PM
Did that tank look like this?

L.Vegas400
07-07-2002, 10:37 PM
yes... exactly like that. what is it, and has it helped any. you still run a cooler with that, right?

FullBore52
07-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Its a Pingry oil tank. They make aluminum air boxes too. There is a link to them in the links up at the top. I did it when i did the motor, so im sure it helps because i havent over heated it yet. Yes you still run the stock oil cooler. It just goes in as a replacement for the stock oil tank. Holds an extra court and gets some more airflow through it to help with the cooling.

maverick
07-07-2002, 11:16 PM
Hey screamin what did you pay for your hoosiers?? got everything for flattrack but the tires :(

Max400
07-07-2002, 11:26 PM
I was leary at first to drill into tne head and the clutch cover but after a few beers I just did it, and it wasn't so bad. really it was quite easy. the instructions that they send with the cooler are pretty much usless, but read them anyway and you will figure it out......... I don't know how much cooler it makes the over all temp of the motor, but it redirects the oil from the oil pump thru the new cooler and then dumps it right on to the rockers. I'm satisfied for only $117.00 bucks it looks a good investment for those long hot summer rides..............

Max400
07-07-2002, 11:27 PM
another

L.Vegas400
07-08-2002, 01:23 AM
can you post more pics as far as where you drilled your holes and such. i would apriciate(i think thats how you spell it) a few more, just to help me make up my mind. i too would have to have a few, or more:D . drilling holes in my 3 month old quad:(

07-08-2002, 06:35 AM
Call For Dirt Only at 740 967 1078 they make a oversize oil tank similare to pingries with a couple of extra options that make it pretty cool and it cost a little less. The best thing i have noticed about my pingries tank is that the oil does not break down as fast in the motor.

B@ckBoneBelgium
07-09-2002, 12:14 PM
MAX400 , could you please post pics of how you connected the hoses ? Waths your oil temp with the new cooler ???