PDA

View Full Version : Uni=power?

XCRACER26
01-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Do UNI filters increase power? or air flow? would I have to jet different?

Eddiesanders250
01-12-2006, 06:54 PM
more airflow, a power increase, you need to rejet. I would look at K&N.

ImWhite
01-12-2006, 07:02 PM
i didnt re-jet with my uni,but i did once i got my slip-on,i love my uni,easy to clean,keeps dirt out better then k&n too

emaxxjeremy
01-12-2006, 07:54 PM
the real power difference comes more with the airbox lid removal. with the airbox open, stock or aftermarket filter, you will need to rejet.
a 4 stroke motor is just a noisey air pump, the more air you can get in and out, the more power it will make

2muchquad
01-12-2006, 09:39 PM
the more air you can get in and out, the more power it will make

its about time somebody understands the fundamentals,yee haa:)

XCRACER26
01-13-2006, 01:25 PM
I bought one. the stock one need replacing and I didnt want a K&n because they let more dirt in than any aftermarket filter. $28 what ever you know I will have it forever and one more Q. do I use the stock cage with It?

zeppelin
01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
i have never noticed any power increases from uni, if you want power k&n is the way to go

Eddiesanders250
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
i have never noticed any power increases from uni, if you want power k&n is the way to go

exactly.....

Quadboy350
01-13-2006, 09:20 PM
I wasted my money and bought a UNI wish I would have bought a K&N.

NacsMXer
01-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Quadboy350
I wasted my money and bought a UNI wish I would have bought a K&N.

Hahaha whaaaat are you guys talking about? :huh Are you kidding? I ran a K&N for about 3 1/2 years and it sucked.........dirt, literally. Had an Outerwears on it and the airbox too, but always let fine dirt through. If you only ride dunes and low-dust areas, then a K&N is ok.

All I ride is dusty MX tracks and some trails every now and then so I need all the motor protection I can get. Plus I just laid down close to $3,000 last winter for a complete 450-stomping motor overhaul courtesy of Laz at GT Thunder. There is noooo waaay in hell a K&N is going back on this fresh motor.

Seriously, I am not relying on my AIR FILTER to make power for me. I believe that is the job of the MOTOR. A good air filter does just that........filters air like it is supposed to.

Leave the K&N's to the dunes, street (in your cars), or low-dust conditions or you'll be sorry.

Quads come stock with foam filters for a reason, that's because nothing else can compare in terms of their filtration capabilities in a wide array of conditions.

If you want more power, the motor is mainly where you need to look for it. If you want more airflow, upgrade your carb, remove the airbox lid, and modify the intake system of the valvetrain (i.e. porting, cam, valves, etc) these combined will translate into a power increase as well as an airflow increase.

I highly doubt that you will actually feel the 0.5 HP gain from a UNI to a K&N ;)

P.S. this is coming from a person who has had the objective experience of trying both types of filters

400exrider707
01-15-2006, 12:29 AM
I too have tried both types, and have found no power difference between the two. The UNI is eaiser to maintain and catches more dirt than the K&N. I will NEVER run a K&N again in any of my offroad vechicles. However its the only filter I'll run in my trucks.

XCRACER26 The UNI comes with its own cage, or you can purchase a Curtis Sparks filter ring and run the UNI without a cage.

Quadboy350
01-15-2006, 12:21 PM
So u r honestly saying a uni is better engine protecting than a k&n.

XCRACER26
01-15-2006, 03:03 PM
is the inside fire proof like the twin air, because I have a prodesign type solid mount and it wont work with the cage at least not with the stock.

cals400ex
01-15-2006, 04:01 PM
the foam filters tend to block more fine dust. the gauze filters will flow more air, mainly at high rpms. on a dyno between the UNI and the K&N, the uni made more torque down low but the K&N made more horsepower up top. the difference wasn't significant but there is a slight difference.

by the way, i run a foam filter too.

CBF2
01-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Quadboy350
So u r honestly saying a uni is better engine protecting than a k&n.

I would agree with that.

#9QUADracnJASON
01-15-2006, 08:26 PM
YEP Thats right, I love my UNI

ZeroLogic
01-15-2006, 08:51 PM
UNI keep the dust from dirt out of your intake but dons't produce as much power as K&N. But K&N passes fine dust into the intake.

Eddiesanders250
01-15-2006, 09:49 PM
And that is exactly why i run a K&N..... I ride dunes only, btw how do you know what this guy rides. If he does only ride dunes k&N is the way to go.

ZeroLogic
01-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Since the sand is fine grain would it pass threw the filter?

400exrider707
01-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
And that is exactly why i run a K&N..... I ride dunes only, btw how do you know what this guy rides. If he does only ride dunes k&N is the way to go.

Its basically preference, but I wouldn't even run a K&N in the dunes. The only place I run them is in my street vehicles or if I was asphalt racing my quad, and that is it! I dont trust them anymore.

kyleschonert
01-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Hahaha whaaaat are you guys talking about? :huh Are you kidding? I ran a K&N for about 3 1/2 years and it sucked.........dirt, literally. Had an Outerwears on it and the airbox too, but always let fine dirt through. If you only ride dunes and low-dust areas, then a K&N is ok.

All I ride is dusty MX tracks and some trails every now and then so I need all the motor protection I can get. Plus I just laid down close to $3,000 last winter for a complete 450-stomping motor overhaul courtesy of Laz at GT Thunder. There is noooo waaay in hell a K&N is going back on this fresh motor.

Seriously, I am not relying on my AIR FILTER to make power for me. I believe that is the job of the MOTOR. A good air filter does just that........filters air like it is supposed to.

Leave the K&N's to the dunes, street (in your cars), or low-dust conditions or you'll be sorry.

Quads come stock with foam filters for a reason, that's because nothing else can compare in terms of their filtration capabilities in a wide array of conditions.

If you want more power, the motor is mainly where you need to look for it. If you want more airflow, upgrade your carb, remove the airbox lid, and modify the intake system of the valvetrain (i.e. porting, cam, valves, etc) these combined will translate into a power increase as well as an airflow increase.

I highly doubt that you will actually feel the 0.5 HP gain from a UNI to a K&N ;)

P.S. this is coming from a person who has had the objective experience of trying both types of filters

amen to that. When you hold up a K&N to the light you can see straight through it, thats how much dirt is going into your motor. and those of you with an expensive motor would know to not run it. The only reason i have a K&N on mine is b/c i have no money right now and the K&N came on mine, as soon as i get money this stupid thing is coming off and the UNI is bein slapped on.

zeppelin
01-16-2006, 07:19 PM
how many of yall that are *****ing about the k&n sucking dirt actualy used the k&n filter oil :rolleyes: i have never had any problems with it passing dirt when its oiled, with foam filters though you can get a shop towel spray some wd-40 on it, wipe it in your airboot and still see a lot of dirt that it let through even when you oil the filter

Eddiesanders250
01-16-2006, 09:53 PM
^^^ Thats right it takes a little maitnance.

XCRACER26
01-17-2006, 06:11 PM
I race XC in the oma and the iowa series and from what I was told the uni or stock filter will clog and not let any air through before it lets dirt in, but the k&n will let dirt through and will completely run like crap when wet. I have seen many quads blown up that were runing k&n, but these cases wear in wet & muddy places. I would rather have a quad that wont run because of no air flow than a blown up one.

Quadboy350
01-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Amen to that BRO

hoax
01-17-2006, 08:39 PM
i wish i had the uni. i was stupid and got the twin air and that thing is a pain to put the stock cage in. and it is a pain to get it on the air box. it seems the opening is a mm to small

XCRACER26
01-17-2006, 09:03 PM
My uni came with the cage in it and is alot bigger than the stock.

NacsMXer
01-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by zeppelin
how many of yall that are *****ing about the k&n sucking dirt actualy used the k&n filter oil :rolleyes: i have never had any problems with it passing dirt when its oiled, with foam filters though you can get a shop towel spray some wd-40 on it, wipe it in your airboot and still see a lot of dirt that it let through even when you oil the filter

Don't know what to tell you, but I got the exact opposite results using my old K&N. I scrupulously cleaned, oiled, and dried it properly using K&N filter cleaner and oil, but every time I wiped my air boot with WD-40 and a paper towel, I had fine grit all over it.........Switched to a UNI, and no grit at all present in the airboot.

I am certain that the K&N's only start to have problems under HEAVY dust conditions. Like riding behind someone in plumes of dust for a couple laps on a dry MX track. Obviously, the results would be skewed if a person mostly does their riding out front of everyone else or by themselves ripping down a trail.

I hate to rip on K&N's because they are a nice filter, just not under high-dust situations. When it comes down to it, yes, K&N's do flow better, but nothing will compare to the filtration capability of foam.

nakomis0
01-18-2006, 06:19 AM
So that dust that comes in from K&n doesn't 98% just come right back out through the exhaust?

You got to pay to play.

IMO Unis are messier to clean and the clog up alot faster. I don't care about the little dust that passes throught the motor. With frequent filter cleaning and regular oil changes I wouldn't worry.

I wonder how many extra hours (if any) you will get out of a motor using a uni? 10-15 hrs of extra motor life? I'd perfer the extra performance K&n provides over the couple extra hours.

And stock bikes come with foam filters becuase they work, they are more fool proof, if you forget to clean it, it stills work just less effective... and they are cheap.

NacsMXer
01-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
So that dust that comes in from K&n doesn't 98% just come right back out through the exhaust?

You got to pay to play.

IMO Unis are messier to clean and the clog up alot faster. I don't care about the little dust that passes throught the motor. With frequent filter cleaning and regular oil changes I wouldn't worry.

I wonder how many extra hours (if any) you will get out of a motor using a uni? 10-15 hrs of extra motor life? I'd perfer the extra performance K&n provides over the couple extra hours.

And stock bikes come with foam filters becuase they work, they are more fool proof, if you forget to clean it, it stills work just less effective... and they are cheap.

I see what you are saying, but I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I, myself, would rather have less fine dust in my motor with that added reliability at the compromise of a small amount of airflow and power. I have all the motor I will ever need to compete, so I would rather have a good air filter to protect it.

As far as filter maintainence and clogging goes, I cleaned my K&N after every 1-2 rides and I clean my UNI after every 1-2 rides so I don't really have issues with clogging. Both are simple to clean and oil, just different procedures.

I also agree that most of the fine dust would be harmless and washed out with the oil, but I would still rather have less fine dust then more fine dust in my motor. Not to mention what a PITA it is to have to clean out your carb all the time from all the fine grit flowing through it; you wouldn't believe how filthy the inside of my FCR was when I was still using the K&N.

huffdaddy_400EX
01-18-2006, 04:31 PM
here is my $.02

I run K&N in both my 400ex and z400. I live in California and it can get very dusty during late summer where I ride. After every ride I clean and re-oil my filters. I use the recomended amount of oil and have outerwears. During this time I also check the airboot connection for dirt (using a white towel or cloth) and it comes out clean. I have tried UNI and Twin-air in the past, I prefer K&N.

The bottom line is you need to chose what you like the best and what will work for you.