PDA

View Full Version : Question on new Honda gas tank for '88

250R
01-12-2006, 06:10 PM
I am about to order a new gas tank for my 88 250R from Service Honda. I am wanting to make sure before I order it that they are still supplying the tank in fighting red and it won't show up and be be black (like the seat covers if you order one)? Anyone gotten a new one lately?

snapon
01-12-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm almost positive it will be in black only, if its still available

Rich250RRacer
01-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by 250R
I am about to order a new gas tank for my 88 250R from Service Honda. I am wanting to make sure before I order it that they are still supplying the tank in fighting red and it won't show up and be be black (like the seat covers if you order one)? Anyone gotten a new one lately?

I got the LAST red 86-87 style tank, everything else available was black. I'm not sure what you will find for an 88-89. I know Honda is selling black tanks for ATC's too, so you might be out of luck.

250R
01-13-2006, 10:35 AM
That's what ia was afraid of, I will call and check though

250R
01-13-2006, 10:42 AM
OK, I called Service Honda and the red is discontinued...I am going to have to buy a new four wheler as it sucks not being bale to get replacement parts for the R like you used to be able to, makes riding it not as much fun knowing if something gets tweaked you can't get new parts.

Does anyone have any pics of thier 88 R with a black tank? Was also thinking about going with an aftermarket red, white, or "natural" colored tank, any input?

deathman53
01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
if you find the tank in red you are a lucky man, I'm pretty sure the reasoning behind no-longer offering a red tank is something to do with the materail and pigments they used to make the tanks, i know that is the reason why you can't get the atc250r tanks in red anymore, infact if you put atc250r shrouds that came off a orignal 86 and bought new 86 shrouds the color is slighlty different(again, problems with the materials and pigments), most likely the trx plastic is the same case. If you want a pic of the black atc250r tank I have a new short track tank in black, the trx tanks should be the same color, I personally like the black color. I'm gonna change my plastics to black, but I have to wait till black short shrouds are done.

250Renvy
01-14-2006, 10:54 AM
My first question is why do you need a new tank? Are you doing a restoration or does it have a hole or is it just faded?

If it's just faded, I'd just spend 20 on a tank cover. If it's got a hole I'd say look on ebay or all around, people have tanks available all over for usually $50 bucks.

If you have to have a brand new OEM tank then try bikebandit, mcmart, world of powersports and honda of troy.

I'd say just go with an clarke or ims, they are less money than OEM, and don't looke much different.