PDA

View Full Version : reversing front rims

websterjody
07-06-2002, 10:30 PM
I am looking for information on flipping the front rims to make the front end wider. I saw a website that explained how to do this with pictures but can not remember where it is.

Can anyone help? I know the stems will hit but need information for the lugs.

airheadedduner
07-06-2002, 10:34 PM
If you remove the disc guards the stems will not hit. turn your lugs so the taper is to the outside

timewass
07-11-2002, 11:01 AM
You could always get
THESE (http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/productdetails.asp?productID=812)

TEEGUNN
07-11-2002, 08:22 PM
I bought my 2001 400ex with the rims already flipped (it was used). The rear was also widened with spacers. I decided to flip the rims around normal to see how it felt once. I didn't like it. I am probably just used to the wider stance though. I also have the valve stem block-offs pictured earlier. They work O.K. - but you have to take your rims off to check/adjust your air pressure. Still, flipping is a cheap way to get that extra width! My quad feels like it is on rails. Also, I rode for 2 weeks in the mountains in Montana and NEVER found a place where I was too wide to get through. Yeah, there were some tight fits between some trees -but I still made it through. I would definitely recommend doing this to help your handling.

07-12-2002, 04:08 PM
could you tell us how to do that airheadedduner?

thanks

airheadedduner
07-12-2002, 06:45 PM
I think if you pull the spindle off the disc guard will come off. I'll have to look in my shop manual, it would show a diagram. I know on the 88-89 R's they bolt on.

Rastus
07-14-2002, 11:07 AM
What i did was i took the original stem, took it out, closed the valve of the stem, and put a cap on it.Then, i put it back in backwards, with the in-side facing out.I did thise for both rims. Next,i bought 2 new valve stems, valves for those, and caps.I got the proper drill bit size, (depends on stem)but make sure you dont get it too big, then your gonna probably have to buy new rims.I put the new stems in, and made sure they had a good fit.Then, i put the valves in, and then put air in.Then, you put the tires back on. Its not that hard really.

07-14-2002, 05:58 PM
i wouldnt recondmend flipping the front rims

1- shocks bottom easier
2- extra pressure on spindles
3- tierods can easily brake

:o

Rastus
07-14-2002, 07:55 PM
Thats only if you race major MX, then you'd want to get new arms, etc. but how has the money for that without a sponsor?If your not major MXing, then i wouldnt worry to much about it.

ive had mine like this for a long time, and i do pretty big jumps, with no problems, jsut the usual "clunk", or "thud" for the shocks bottoming.

airheadedduner
07-14-2002, 11:21 PM
They should be fine as long as you arn't "busting out huge air!" Flipping front rims is no harder on anything then putting on aftermarket offset front wheels.

yellow_ho_01
07-15-2002, 09:18 AM
you dont have to take the wheels off to air up the tires, with them flush mount valves. I LL TELL YOU WHAT TO DO>>> you pick up your tire and turn it so you can see the head of the valve cap,... then you take off the cap, srcew in the adapter and air away,... i dont know why youd have to take off the wheels....i dont

cdalejef
07-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Matrix250R
i wouldnt recondmend flipping the front rims

1- shocks bottom easier
2- extra pressure on spindles
3- tierods can easily brake

:o Matrix is right! This not a safe idea! I know alot of people are doing it, but that doesn't mean its safe! You will get pretty bad bump steer.

AC 400 ex 02
07-15-2002, 10:06 AM
im with matrix about flippin them...even if you dont ride major mx you can still do big jumps and cause a world of damage:devil

TEEGUNN
07-15-2002, 11:45 AM
Here's my take on a few of the last posts......
1) True, you don't HAVE to take the rims off to air up the tires/check tire pressure - BUT, it is much easier to do so than trying to work in such a tight spot with the rims still on. Either way, by flipping the rims it is much harder to check/adjust air pressure.

2) As far as bottoming and causing damage on big jumps - I hit 60 to 65 footers and do NO damage to my machine. I have bent a tie-rod before (who hasn't) but this wasn't from landing, but taking off of a jump in sand and getting my right wheel caught on the edge of the jump - but tie-rods are cheap ($5) and I can't say that it wouldn't have bent with the rims flipped normal.

3) The machine will handle much BETTER with the rims flipped than with them normal. There are some slight negative side effects, but in my opinion, the increase in handling is well worth the small negatives.

4) This is a good, cheap way to gain that extra width without spending big bucks and I recommend it for those on a budget. However, if you feel your machine handles just fine the way it is then leave it that way.

Rastus
07-15-2002, 01:29 PM
you dont have to put air in them that way...If you didnt be a wuss and buy that gay kit! its much easier and cheaper just to drill a hole in one, and put a new stem in :huh :confused: :confused:

Rastus
07-15-2002, 01:31 PM
Sorry, i forgot , what are you people talking about? A honda...
Its a honda, it can take it :) :D :blah

TEEGUNN
07-15-2002, 08:50 PM
Yeah well...... first, I bought the machine with the valve-stem blockoffs already on it - so I wasn't the "wuss" ;). Second, take it from me that it is easier and faster to just take the rims off the bike to change/check air pressure. I actually considered drilling holes in the outside like you said, but considering that I don't check/change air pressure too often, I've never gotten around to it.