PDA

View Full Version : new chain question

55belair
01-12-2006, 02:33 PM
a couple details 1st. 2001 400 ex, i'm not original owner.
i'm about to replace my chain due to it kinda sticking and not flexing very well, and i have a couple questions ? i see the prices are pretty various on new chains, what is a good chain with out breaking the bank and i'm assuming i want o-ring correct me if i'm wrong please. when i put new chain on and cut it to fit should i have my rear axle in the center of its adjustment all forward or all back ? thanks in advance on any input....

01-12-2006, 02:44 PM
to cut it and fit it, count the numer of links iin the old chain, and yes it is time to replace it if it don't flex well...an o-ring is stock so you should stick with at least that...an x-ring is supposed to be a step up, but i do not like the one i put on my ex...it is a did x-ring and seems to have needed adjusted after every ride this summer...i expect a little bit of re-adjustment after the first few rides, but not every ride...

i can't say what is breaking the bank for you, but get the best you can afford...did seems to be one of the best..so is rk...i have had nothing but d.i.d. on, simply because that is what my dealer stocks and i stay pretty loyal to them for that kind of stuff...even though i pay a little more there..they make it up on all the other things i buy on a more frequent basis...

Rip_Tear
01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
2 things here, when you replace a chain, you should do the sprockets aswell, because they are warn to the old change.

Yes try and make the chain so the carrier is at it's loosest spot, because the new chain is going to stretch a bit so you'll need to tighten it after it's been warn in.

DID is a good chain, and not very expensive, stock sprokets are good too.

PismoLocal
01-12-2006, 03:59 PM
I've been told that you are to replace your chain and sprockets every year and i replace mine about every 9 months, with that in mind i buy "cheap" primary drive stuff from rocky mountain. You can get a chain and new sprockets for around $50, i've never had a problem with their products but it could be cuz i replace them often.

Rip_Tear
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't do it every 9 months, or even 12 for that matter, mine are still stock and are "fine", my skid plate bent and was rubbing the one side down a bit oddly...

55belair
01-12-2006, 04:20 PM
thanks for all the replies... i just put new sprockets on it a couple rides ago, experimenting with powerband kinda thing.as far as breaking the bank goes i guess that i really didn't need to put that in here because i will buy a good chain, i guess it was more of a, are the 30 dollar chains really that much worse then the 90 dollar chains.thanks again on the advise