PDA

View Full Version : Back shock question...

400exrider26
01-12-2006, 02:08 PM
is the stock 400ex back shock rebuildable? How much would it cost? Because i think i blew mine and a new OME one costs 700 bucks from honda!!! I can get an aftermarket racing shock for cheaper! What would be a good aftermarket back shock with stock fronts for my atv if i decide to buy aftermarket? Keep in mind it has to be cheap...

01-12-2006, 02:36 PM
for about 265, you can have laz at gt thunder rebuild and revalve your rear shock and give you his rear linkage...the linkage takes away the "buck" that you notice going over woops and coming off jump faces...it also revlaves the shock to your weight and riding style, which gives you the full use of the shock travel...it really helped...it is almost as good as an aftermarket shock...
gt thunder (http://www.gtthunder.com/)

here is the www.****tech.com description of wht the gt thunder link does and why it is "needed" ****tech is an authorized gt thunder dealer:

What is wrong with my 450R or 400EX rear end?
The stock linkage on these two bikes sets the travel of the shock too high in the chassis, thus making the rear end kick up very harsh when you hit a sharp object or come up just a hair short on a jump where the rear tires just clip the down side of the landing and you end up going over the bars. To solve this you can either raise the top shock mount on the frame by cutting and rewelding it or buy the GT Thunder linkage.

Do I gain any travel with this Linkage?
No, with this linkage you do not want to use a longer shock or you are defeating its purpose. What you are doing is lowering the shocks travel lower in the chassis. Although, I believe if you use an Axis shock on the rear end you may gain up to 1" more travel. Please let me know if you are planning on using this shock because there is a specific linkage for this shock too!

Why do I have to Revalve my rear shock for this linkage?
Because this linkage is repositioning the lower shock mount location it is changing the leverage ratio. When you change the leverage ratio at anytime your shock needs to be revalved. On the plus side, your shock will then be valved for YOUR specific weight, riding style, and application(MX, XC, or Recreation). And not for just the "average" rider like it was set at the factory. I will revalve both the compression and rebound shims according to your specific specifications.

What size of tires is this linkage made?
There are 2 linkages available for each maching. One for Cross Country using 20" Rear tires and one for Motorcross using 18" Rear tires. I need to know which you plan on using before you order yours.

What will this linkage do to my rear end ride height?
The linkage will lower the ride height of the rear of your quad right at 2" at the seat. This is a plus on MX and XC because you will be able to corner much faster with the lower center of gravity.

How strong is this linkage and do I have to worry about breaking it?
This linkage is made out of a solid peice of billet aluminum and will not break. It is much stronger than the stock linkage too because the stock linkage is made out of cast aluminum. This linkage is about 1 1/2" wide and is VERY beafed up.

How much is it?
The linkage is $150 and includes the $60 new pivot works bearings installed. I will also Revalve your rear shock for $100 if you purchase the linkage at the same time. Add on $20 for valving shims and about $12 for shipping and you have a grand total of $282.00

I will be adding some pictures of my personal 400ex with this linkage installed and some pictures of the linkage so you can see how good of quality it is soon.

I garauntee that once you install this linkage on your quad that the rear end will not kick up anymore and you will be able to haul through a set of whoops with the throttle wide open. You can hit jumps while coming up a little short and the rear end just soaks it up without having to worry about going over the handlebars anymore. Also, you won't have to wear yourself out by the landings when you used to have to clear every jump just to make sure you don't clip that top of the downramp. And the shock is actually valved for you so you will get the maximum of travel and be able to use the full potential of the rear shock.

Rip_Tear
01-12-2006, 03:15 PM
I didn't read all of Speedyquads post but, I'd get new fronts before the rear, just get a rebuild and you will notice a good change, and save up and get the fronts replaces, mine are totally gone.

awsomeaussies
01-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Good stuff:D Does he add another spring to the rear shock? I need my rear rebuilt to match my front elka's and haven't decided if I want to go with Derisi or Gt.

400exrider26
01-12-2006, 05:03 PM
thanks alot for all that info!wow...that sounds like a good way to go... only 265! could i use this back shock that is set up by laz with stock fronts?

Rip_Tear
01-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Yes :D All I'm saying is the fronts are the worst and should be replaced first.

stalefish_132
01-12-2006, 06:31 PM
i got a stock rear shock that has less than 5 hours on it if your intrested PM me.

400exrider26
01-13-2006, 03:51 AM
Anyone who has done this mod did u like the outcome? is the shock really almost as good as aftermarket? I can still use my swingarm skidplate with this mod right? I wont be racing on this shock really...mainly hard trail riding and some track riding around my friends house...

Colby@C&DRacing
01-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Yes your shock is fixxable. We do allot of dual rate zero preload conversions on the 400ex shock. This setup works very well to match the elka front shocks you have after it has been revalved and resprung for the correct weight and type of riding.

400exMO
01-13-2006, 08:32 AM
^^On that kit does it include a link? Also what height would it be set at?

01-13-2006, 08:46 AM
i have had gt thunder revalve my rear shock...it almost completely eliminates the buck...it is worth the $$$...it is almost as good as an aftermarket...stock 400ex fronts are not rebuildable...but a good set of elka recs will only set ya back a little less than 500 new...

and a stock rear shock is only about $440 from service honda

Colby@C&DRacing
01-13-2006, 08:54 AM
We do not use a linkage on our setup the 400ex rear shock performs great without it when properly valved and sprung. We set the height at 7.5 to 8'' frame height

400exrider707
01-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Dont forget if your getting your rearend rebuilt you will need to do something with the front. If the rear-end is ZPS, and the front is not it is goign to handle extremely wierd. (not good) Both front and rear should be done at the same time, unless you get a non ZPS build.

400exrider26
01-15-2006, 04:48 AM
what does zps mean EXACTLY? So could i run a skidplate with the gt thunder shock linkage? I am probley not going to do my fronts right now because money it to tight right now for that... So what would be my best option if i am not gunna do anything with the fronts? Just get it revalved?

trx400exxracer
01-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider26
Anyone who has done this mod did u like the outcome? is the shock really almost as good as aftermarket? I can still use my swingarm skidplate with this mod right? I wont be racing on this shock really...mainly hard trail riding and some track riding around my friends house...

well I bought my shock from someone that I race with they got it rebuilt and dual rate and all that stuff I bought the whole shock for $150 it is way unbeleivable I couldn't have made a better move thn to buy suspension on my quad it sits lower and rides way better so if I were you I would get your rear shock revalved and get a link from Laz at GT thunder:D

01-15-2006, 12:10 PM
When I revalve a shock for the Linkage I will put new seals in it for an extra $, which includes the seals and labor. The GT Thunder Linkage does NOT need a Dual Rate. The progression that the linkage creates is designed for a single rate spring. If you went with a dual rate spring setup then the progression wouldn't be correct. Also, you don't need ZPS either with this linkage because it lowers your seat height about 2". The linkage revalve, new bearings, new oil, valving shims, nitrogen and labor are $. If anyone has anymore questions on this setup please feel free to ask away.

is the stock 400ex back shock rebuildable? How much would it cost? Because i think i blew mine and a new OME one costs 700 bucks from honda!!! I can get an aftermarket racing shock for cheaper! What would be a good aftermarket back shock with stock fronts for my atv if i decide to buy aftermarket? Keep in mind it has to be cheap...

400exrider26
01-15-2006, 01:57 PM
trx400exxracer- when u bought the back shock did u have stock fronts? i am just wondering because everyone has answered most of my questions except the deal with the stock fronts... I am guna keep my stockers in the front for now but need to fix the back one... So should i just revalve it and fix it or should i have it rebuilt with new linkage and valved for weight, terrain i ride, etc... ? also with the linkage can i use a skidplate??

Rip_Tear
01-15-2006, 02:53 PM
I'll bet that your skid plate should be fine. Provided that you you do not get a triple rate shock or a shock with ZPS or SSD in the rear your front shocks will be fine for now.

01-15-2006, 06:27 PM
trx400exxracer- when u bought the back shock did u have stock fronts? i am just wondering because everyone has answered most of my questions except the deal with the stock fronts... I am guna keep my stockers in the front for now but need to fix the back one... So should i just revalve it and fix it or should i have it rebuilt with new linkage and valved for weight, terrain i ride, etc... ? also with the linkage can i use a skidplate??

If you want the XC linkage, they are $ more, just because machining cost are higher due to not as many being made at once. Your skidplate WILL have to be cut to run this linkage, but you won't have any problems breaking the linkage, I haven't seen 1 fail yet.

01-16-2006, 08:13 PM
you will need to trim some of your skidplate off with the gt thunder linkage

400exrider26
01-17-2006, 04:02 AM
does anyone have a pic of the shock and linkage on their bike?

K_Fulk
01-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Gt Thunder link installed

fitethesystom
01-18-2006, 12:44 AM
What does HONDA OEM REAR SHOCK sell for? I had no idea 265 was cheap.

trx400exxracer
01-18-2006, 05:18 AM

Yeah I would get it rebuilt with the linkage I had aftermarket works tripple rates with rezzies on the front before I bought my dual rate revalved rear