PDA

View Full Version : lt80 competitive

smr
01-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Can the LT80 still be competitive at a national level? My son has raced the locals for years and done well. This year there are 2 nationals very close to our home so we are thinking about racing.

MOD 50cc DAD
01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I would so no but it really comes down to your rider. They can be made fast but the suspension will hurt you.

The national level quads in the 90cc prod class are ~48" wide with 8-10 inches of travel. Of course they are piloted by some awesome riders also!

Good luck!

3-D Racing Dad
01-12-2006, 02:37 PM
It depends on what you are racing. If it's MX, no(suspension is lacking). Honda and Kasea seem to be the tops.
XC Im not sure.
But I have heard that they are good for flat trackin.

LT80
01-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Competitive? ANY DAY!!
I sure won't argue that the suspension is less than others, but the others break just as much.
I refer to the GNC race at Macon las year:: We were told that we had balls to show up with a LT80.
The end result was an 8th place finish (out of 20) with STOCK shocks. Now this is Kayla Davis and she rides a LT80 smooth.If more riders knew how to ride smooth they wouldn't be breaking frames and such....
So,,competitive...IF your child can ride as good as this lil gal,,sure! :D :D

The LT80 can be on the track for 1/2 as much $$ also.

smr
01-13-2006, 09:32 AM
I bought a spare motor and was thinking about having it built. I was thinking of getting the cylinder ported and running a 20mm carb. What do yall think?

Who would be best to purchas this from?

LT80
01-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Whether it's me or someone else that Builds LT80's, get a builder that sells a complete motor kit.
Porting alone will not work. The kit gives you a motor clutch combo that works together.
In another forum, seems Eric Gore did this persons LT80. Mr.Gore I'm sure does a fine job on most all other motors.
By the persons explaination of what he has had done,I can tell you that:::
He got a VERY mild port job.
He couldn't get answers on how to tune it.
He thinks he got clutch mods.
He wasted alot of $$ on the motor work and totally wasted $$ on the 20mm carb.
The stock carb does a fantastic job. It will allow the motor to rev to 12k. My motor took 3rd in the GNC TT series..on a stock carb.
Sure, some will tell you that the 20mm is the best thing ever and I think they can run good. I leave the carb til all other things are done.:) :)

SwainRacing
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Listen to LT80! He knows these LT80s inside and out. He has our sons right now working on it so he can run some GNCC and the local XC stuff.

smr
01-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by LT80
Whether it's me or someone else that Builds LT80's, get a builder that sells a complete motor kit.
Porting alone will not work. The kit gives you a motor clutch combo that works together.
In another forum, seems Eric Gore did this persons LT80. Mr.Gore I'm sure does a fine job on most all other motors.
By the persons explaination of what he has had done,I can tell you that:::
He got a VERY mild port job.
He couldn't get answers on how to tune it.
He thinks he got clutch mods.
He wasted alot of $$ on the motor work and totally wasted $$ on the 20mm carb.
The stock carb does a fantastic job. It will allow the motor to rev to 12k. My motor took 3rd in the GNC TT series..on a stock carb.
Sure, some will tell you that the 20mm is the best thing ever and I think they can run good. I leave the carb til all other things are done.:) :)

If you are interested in doing some work to our motor then please PM me your number and I'll give you a call.

grizzlykev
01-13-2006, 03:03 PM
lt 80 did ours you wont be dissapointed we ran with all the big bores and 125 honda's.we didnt have any works shocks either