View Full Version : Won't start after washing???

shamisc
01-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Do any of you guys have trouble starting your 450 after washing it. Mine won't start for a couple of hours. Most of the time I just wait until the next day. I do stand it up on the end every time, but I turn the gas off. I don't know if it's getting water in something electrical or somethings going on in the carb! :confused: My 440ex did the same thing while washing!:huh

Punk'd
01-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Sometimes when I stand mine up even with the gas up its hard to start.

Its just flooding or something..

duke416ex
01-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Mine does that, I bet if you look, even with the gas off there is gas running back into the air box. My petcock doesn't work, you might want to check to make sure yours is.

HAVOK
01-12-2006, 02:18 PM
You must drain the carb before standing it up, By using the drain screw.

Z-Rider86
01-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Here's an idea....don't stand it up on end. You should be able to get every speck of dirt off it with the quad sitting on all fours. Second, even though you turn the gas off there is still some in the carb....you do the math.

Jersey450R
01-12-2006, 05:21 PM
mine starts right up after i wash it.

TCracin440ex
01-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by HAVOK
You must drain the carb before standing it up, By using the drain screw.

i dont think so...there is a tube on the bowl of the carb its a vent but when you sit the bike up on its grab bar, or ride wheelies gas pours out of it....its so the bike dont flood....

what your problem probally is your draining all the gas out of the carb out when you stand it up and it takes a little bit for the gas to get back down into the carb and get it f lowing again....i kno my 400ex is a pain in the *** right after i wash it and stand it on its grab bar....but i turn the choke on turn it over a few times and it starts....

and no you cant always get all the dirt on your bike with it sitting on all fours...

HAVOK
01-12-2006, 06:54 PM
If you turn the gas off and don't drain the carb then stand it up gas will come out the air filter. The drain is there for a reason, turn the gas off then drain it, stand it up ,put it down ,turn the gas on, choke it, then kick it. I have done this since day one and mine starts within 3 kicks.

trx450Rrider
01-12-2006, 07:04 PM
yep it gets flooded. i put my bike on the grab bar and it didnt start for a long time. and my air box was filled with gas

shamisc
01-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Z-Rider86
Here's an idea....don't stand it up on end. You should be able to get every speck of dirt off it with the quad sitting on all fours. Second, even though you turn the gas off there is still some in the carb....you do the math.

It's kinda hard to clean all the mud out of skidplates if you don't stand it up!:rolleyes: I was thinking water may be getting into electrical connectors.:confused:

Fred55
01-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Go and take the gas overflow out of the stem before you wash it...its like 5 ft long..and actually at the bottom of the stem and when you wash it water will collect at the bottom and when you tip it up to wash....the water will get into the gas and thats what is probably causing your quad not to start.

kane47
01-13-2006, 05:15 AM
Fred 55 nailed my theory to.
I always crimp off exposed vents hoses with a pair of scissor clamps. Just being careful!
It never hurts to be too careful.

hope you figure it out.

tim colston
01-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Another good way is to turn off the gas with quad running and let it literally run out and then stand it up. Works good for me no gas leakage. My 2 cents.

MX#9
01-13-2006, 06:35 AM
I had the same problem until I started running the fuel out of it before washing.
What happens is the fuel left in the carb does drain into the airbox. That is your problem and your only problem.

When I come in from a ride, I turn the gas off and let the quad idle till it quits. I wash mine on the grab rail as well as on all fours.
When I'm done,I pull the plug out of the exhaust,turn on the gas,flip the choke on,do one slow kick thru the stroke and then 1 kick and she is running.

Just make sure you run all fuel out of carb and your problem will be gone. I promise!

MR.BIG
01-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Mine starts right up after washing. If you are going to stand it up just turn the gas off and let it run till it stalls out and then you don't have to worry about draining the carb,etc.

shamisc
01-14-2006, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Fred55
Go and take the gas overflow out of the stem before you wash it...its like 5 ft long..and actually at the bottom of the stem and when you wash it water will collect at the bottom and when you tip it up to wash....the water will get into the gas and thats what is probably causing your quad not to start.

I have a Tusk billet vent on my stock cap, so it's not getting water in this way. I'll try running it out of gas next time, Thanks guys!