PDA

View Full Version : studding 4 snow tires?

44oEX
01-12-2006, 09:40 AM
well I got some 4 snow rear tires, these are by FAR the best snow tire out there, I can pull wheelies all day in snow. :D the grip excellent. BUT like all other tires they don't do much if your on ice. and I will be putting sheet metal screws in my front tires, but since there are no threads to screw in the rear, I was thinking about using snowmobile studs?...I would just get some small ones so I still have a little rubber on the ground it I have to ride on the road a little or something.

what I was thinking is to make a hole in the tire a little smaller then the size of the studs, then force the stud in there, for a tight seal...maybe even put a little silicone for a air tight seal. I would be putting one stud in between every little paddle. I don't want to over do it or anything.

Now did any one do this before?...my worries are about keeping air in the tires, I could get a tube, but would rather not if I don't HAVE to....and since the tires are really really soft, is there anyway the stud could get ripped out of the tire and ruin the tire?

any info or pics would be nice thanks

Rip_Tear
01-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Sorry, but I don't think studding those tires is a good idea, they'd have problems for sure. Here's my to alternative options:

1. Tire chains (might not work too well, added weight, etc)

2. Tube the tire and you could stud the tires with screws from the inside out (get a piece of rubber to put on the inside of the tire to protected the tube

3. Use the screw studs as you said, and get a tire slim product and put it in the tire after you stud, should prevent air loss.

Hope one of those help

400exstud
01-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I've studded a few snowmobile tracks and your method of drilling a smaller pilot hole is actually how the sledders do it.

When the studs catch the ground, I think, there will be so much torque on them that you will develop holes around the base of the stud, if now rip it cleanly out. Sled tracks are made of a very strong rubber that has a fiber interior. This fiber work as a reinforcement system to keep the studs from moving and tearing out. Quad tires don't have these fibers.

ReconRider25
01-12-2006, 06:41 PM
i wouldnt do that. those tires were designed to balloon up when you go faster. the rubber is too soft to hold a stud in place and it not pull through.

Crazy Diamond
01-12-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm with ReconRider25! They are real thin! I ran over a picker bush with mine and ended up with about 20 holes. They would rip out of those. I would get them in maybe a 6 ply tire only! Get an old pair of Razrs or Holeshots and drill away!

44oEX
01-13-2006, 08:22 AM
damn thats not the respons I was hopping for lol...ok well thanks for the replies, anyone else have any other ideas?

thanks

44oEX
01-16-2006, 04:54 AM
has anyone doen this to normal tires? how did it hold up?

400exrider707
01-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
has anyone doen this to normal tires? how did it hold up?

Yes I have. We ran shovels in some stock 400ex tires. You obviously need a tube on the inside, and we also put a thin rubber mat(or carpeting will work too) between the tire and the tube for extra protection. We ran 44 in each tire. It grips too well now. Its awesome for drag racing. We can take monster triple sleds off of the line with a nearly stock 450R. Ride wheelies all day long, but I would definitely do it to an OEM type tire as they are radial and will hold studs better. Never had one rip out either and they hold air all winter long. Ill post pics later when I get home.

400exstud
01-16-2006, 06:17 PM
We can take monster triple sleds off of the line with a nearly stock 450R. Ride wheelies all day long

I do believe it hooks up well but it doesn't take off better than a 150hp two stroke that has about 726 square inches of traction below it. My 400ex, on pavement, couldn't beat my 50 hp Z 440 which was on dry ground.

My dads stock ZRT 800 does a quarter mile faster than a Farari Enzo. I doubt the 450R does.

quader400
01-16-2006, 09:43 PM
i have studded stock tires and razr's with just some quarter inch sheet metal screws. over time a few studs may fall out but its not hard to just screw another one back in. no predrilling needed. and air leaks never really a problem unless the tread on your tire is worn away too much

44oEX
01-17-2006, 04:57 AM
yeah I know about screw studs...that what I will be doing to the front tires...but the rears are 4 snow tires...there like paddle tires, there is no thread to put any screws in...thats why I was thinking about snomobile studs.

anyone got pics of the studded tires?....NOT SCREWS

Rip_Tear
01-17-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm pretty sure these are studded and not screw.

44oEX
01-17-2006, 02:13 PM
no those are just screwed in the tire..but thanks for the pic

HiZ
01-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Sled studs work for about 20 min.
Then they go wizzing by the kids on the sideline!

If yoaure are looking to get a set of tires to stud up let me know.
The Ice pics tires work the best and I have a set of tires that I $$$ just to stud up, however will be running my other set for ice racing. These are non studded and ready to go. Let me know if you are interested.
theomnij@hotmail.com
Brandon

44oEX
01-21-2006, 06:55 AM
well In normal stock tires, sled studs hold up just fine, and they don't rip out or anything, an they hold air ok with no tube...but the 4 snow is onl a 2 ply and very very soft.

And the thing is, i'm not really looking for a ice racing tire. I got 4 snows for the trails, it's just that where getting ****ty weather and rain, so there is lots of ice...so that why I just wanted to stud the 4 snows, so I can still ride the trail, and just not get stuck on the ice.

there is a guy that has a set or used stock yammie tires that he studded, and he said he could get me studs for cheap, so I think i'm just going to try it anyway and see how it works out...if it messes up the tires, well there not that expencive anyway so it's no big deal.....but from the info I got from him, I think it might just work out.....i'll let you guys know in a couple of weeks.

thanks for the help

HiZ
01-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Allow me to claify and update

Sled studs in 4snow tires do not hold up

400exstud
01-22-2006, 12:08 PM
well In normal stock tires, sled studs hold up just fine, and they don't rip out or anything, an they hold air ok with no tube...but the 4 snow is onl a 2 ply and very very soft.

First of all, do you not believe us that they won't work in 4SNOWs? :huh

I can't immagine that they would work and not leak. I would think that you would at least have to use a lot of goop or a tube.

44oEX
01-22-2006, 02:39 PM
well guys, I went to a ice drag today ( ATV ) and there was a 720 raptor with 4 snows, he was running 300 sled studs, and they worked just find...I know it's only one race, and that they might rip out eventually....but he was very happy with that set up. sorry I didn't get the chance to take any pics tho.