PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Major?

XCAdam89
01-11-2006, 06:19 PM
I got to thinking today about college and where I will be in the future. I was thinking about what majors might be interesting to me? Right now, I'm thinking about a major in mechanical engineering and a minor in business. I'm just curious what you guys majored in.

01-11-2006, 06:26 PM
aviation flight and aviation management

TREDZ71
01-11-2006, 07:16 PM
mech engineering...best thing i've ever done.

a college degree is something that they can NEVER take away from you....

in my opinion, engineering and buisiness is the BEST combo.

after i finished my ME degree i went into sales....the money is awesome and sales is the best way up in ANY firm.

good luck deciding....ever thought about job shadowing to help your decision?

Chino
01-11-2006, 07:31 PM
business/information systems

CaptainCanuck
01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Psychology

derekhonda
01-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Business Management/Entrepreneurship

One day...many of you will call me "boss"

DeerNuts
01-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Political science.

One day... you will be calling me "President".

Lol. Yeah rite. Im gonna go to law school... talk about money omg.

kgd57
01-12-2006, 12:26 AM
geology with a study in petro... oil is money:D

XCAdam89
01-12-2006, 04:48 AM
I want the business because I would like to open an indoor motocross park on the east coast later on in life. I think it's possible! What specific jobs can come from a Mech. Enginneering degree?

ak_stick
01-12-2006, 05:20 AM
No major here yet, but thinking about an officer packet, so I'll just settle for calling me sir
:D

ME's do most of the designing for aircraft, alog with boats, trucks, ect...

The down side to that, is if your an ME and design anything, you'r probably going to have a cult following of mechanics that want to kick the piss out of you.

jack_no7
01-12-2006, 05:26 AM
I got me degree in Industrial Design and thinking about going back to get a mechanical engineers degree

underpowered
01-12-2006, 05:34 AM
industrial education, pretty much a study of industy and its processes.

minor in industrial technology.

01-12-2006, 05:42 AM
BSEE for me and my son is majoring in chemical engineering. He's going to be rolling in the dough!!

culookn
01-12-2006, 06:05 AM
just graduated with an assoc. in chem. but i think im going to get into corrections...yes a prison guard.

drybranch
01-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Finance with emphasis on insurance.

ballz2thewall
01-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Didn't want to go to college so I joined the army and got schooling for free. I am in civilian terms a deisel mech, military I am a heavy mobile equipment repairer. only 21 and own new truck and house working for the army:D

Scro
01-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Professional Geography major here-minor in Computer Information Systems

coryatver
01-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Computer Engineering

kenwoodjeff
01-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Information Technologies
Network Administrator

Focusing on: Network Architecture and Enginering.

Just got my MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) :cool:

working on my CCNA from Cisco
and planing on getting my CCNP :blah:

TREDZ71
01-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Attainable jobs with a ME degree....

engineer (in most fields-- the obvious)
sales
management (project, design, etc.)

....just to name a few.

The ME degree is focused to be the most broad. It gives you an overview of everything...mainly focusing on the Mechanical dicipline.

The ME degree has to be the best one out there...couple it with a MBA and you will be unstoppbale. The ME gives you problem solving skills and the MBA gives you the ability to understand business....what better combo can there be to run/start your own business?....tracks, motoshops, etc.

troutman561
01-12-2006, 10:17 AM
biology/pre-med major going into chriopractics, gona be a doctor baby! $$$$$$$$

bwamos
01-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
I got to thinking today about college and where I will be in the future. I was thinking about what majors might be interesting to me? Right now, I'm thinking about a major in mechanical engineering and a minor in business. I'm just curious what you guys majored in.

Go mechanical with a specilization in structural is always a good field.

I'm an Engineering Technician (Fancy name for Draftsman/Project Manager mix.)

parkers30
01-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by TREDZ71

The ME degree is focused to be the most broad. It gives you an overview of everything...mainly focusing on the Mechanical dicipline.

The ME degree has to be the best one out there...couple it with a MBA and you will be unstoppbale. The ME gives you problem solving skills and the MBA gives you the ability to understand business....what better combo can there be to run/start your own business?....tracks, motoshops, etc.

I am curois to get some other peoples opinionson this, I am really considering get a Masters either in Mechanical or my MBA, I know which would work well for my current company but was wonderin what everyone thought would be more useful in general. I know if somewhat depends on where I want towithmy career and I really wouldn't mind the direction wither degree would take me.

At this point I am lining myself upto be able to either just go to workor get one o those masters degrees and see where I can get accepted and what kind of job offers I get.

bulkdriverlp
01-12-2006, 01:16 PM
sanitation engineer:ermm:

321racer
01-12-2006, 06:31 PM
i go to a voc school and take architectural engineering and mechanical engineering
im going to college for that too

stocktires
01-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Major - Pre-Physical Therapy (Exercise Science)
I'm about to minor in some type of buisness also

01-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Attainable jobs with a ME degree....

engineer (in most fields-- the obvious)
sales
management (project, design, etc.)

....just to name a few.

It's certainly not the highest paid engineering degree. Petroleum and Chemical engineering graduates consistently earn higher starting salaries then ME's.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/21/pf/college/starting_salaries/
http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/15/pf/college/starting_salaries/
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf06303/
http://www.collegejournal.com/salarydata/engineering/engineering.html

400exstud
01-12-2006, 07:54 PM
What kind of jobs come with a chemical engineer?

I am currently a sophomore in Advanced Chem and next year it will be AP chem and it is so far one of my favorate classes so I was thinking that I might like that major. I donno:o

TREDZ71
01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I'll agree that ME does not have the highest income, however, it is more "versatile" than Chemical and Petroleum. You certainly have more options with an ME.

I've always been told and have experienced....It's Not What You Know, It's Who You Know.....

YamaWarr0121
01-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Chemical-Biology with Pre-Dental Advisoring..

talk about $$

Seriously though, the tools and mechanisms and basis behind dentistry is very similar to working on our bikes. Drills, Dremels, greases, needles.. blood haha everything is there and i love that. So i think i'm going to love it!;)

01-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
What kind of jobs come with a chemical engineer?

I am currently a sophomore in Advanced Chem and next year it will be AP chem and it is so far one of my favorate classes so I was thinking that I might like that major. I donno:o

http://jobprofiles.monster.com/Content/job_content/JC_engineering__construction__and_graphic_design/JSC_ChemicalEngineering/JOB_057_chemist/jobzilla_html?jobprofiles=1

Bush0102
01-13-2006, 12:53 AM
finance with a minor in construction management

01-13-2006, 05:28 AM
Interdisciplinary Studies concentration in Business. It offers more diversity then a Business Admin. degree and covers a little of everything (society, diversity, different world cultures, etc..). I believe a true business man should be diverse and be aware of the world around him. I love it!

Quad18star
01-13-2006, 05:55 AM
Civil Engineering .... good course if you're into that kind of stuff ... personally I hated it .

I'm hoping to go back to "school" for 1 year and get my Helicopter License. My girlfriend took 2 years of college in Early Childhood Education and is now going to University for 5 years to become a school teacher .

A good sector to get into is the Trades . I don't know how it is down around your area , but up here they are begging for Trades People . I read an article in a magazine the other day that said that in about another 5-7 years , plumbers will be making just as much $$ as Doctors because of the shortage .

Same goes for most other trades . I got a few buddies that took 2 years of Millwright in college , got their diplomas and are now working out in Alberta Canada . These guys are making $100 000 a year without overtime . Not too bad for a bunch of guys that are 22 or 23 years old . :eek:

Scro
01-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
A good sector to get into is the Trades .

Are you talking about electrician and such?

PWM_330EX
01-13-2006, 11:06 AM
I'll agree that ME does not have the highest income, however, it is more "versatile" than Chemical and Petroleum. You certainly have more options with an ME.

I've always been told and have experienced....It's Not What You Know, It's Who You Know.....

I think if you have a solid engineering background (no matter what your degree is in) you can do/learn to do most types of engineering. I have a degree in chemical and I work for a battery mfr -- I'm doing more sheet metal/structural design than I am mass/energy balances on a battery.

MichaelS693
01-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by CaptainCanuck
Psychology