PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones and students?

Pappy
01-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Around here, students are forbidden to have or carry cell phones in school. I can full well understand the reasoning behind it etc.

However, ever since Columbine, 9/11 and other major events Ive thought that a cell phone would be a must have but i havent given my son one.

Today, I was running 20 minutes late to pick him up at the bus stop when I ran into a huge traffic jam. Time passed and after repeated attempts to call my son at the house failed, I was damn near in a panick. I was just about ready to 4wd it thru some yards to get out of the clogged roadways when my cell rang, it was cody. He explained that he was on the bus on a "safety" phone one of his friends carries. They too were stuck in this traffic and running about 45 minutes late getting home. Boy was I relieved.

That got me to thinking I will buy him one of those cheap "pay as you go" phones for emergencys only and say to hell with the school.

Is this practice common in most schools?

MotoX3
01-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Not at all. My highschool says the teachers just dont want to see them, but I've seen MANY people get caught and just told to put them away.People text each other in school ALL the time and teachers know it...they dont really care anymore.

Hon300ex
01-11-2006, 06:02 PM
in my school u can have a fone. it jus has to be off and in ur locker. if u get caught with it they give it back at the end of the day the first time and the second time your parents have to pick it up

TM426
01-11-2006, 06:05 PM
I dont know what service provider has these phone. But, they make a phone with only 4 preset numbers by the parent. That way your kids can only call 4 people and not rack up a phone bill with all their friends. Although I dont think Cody would do that.:D Those phones should be allowed in school.

coolex
01-11-2006, 06:05 PM
ya my skool is like motox3 s school they say u cnt have it but they now you do and i use mine soem times and they never take it away but if the teacher wants to be a prick she can take it but then gives it bakc at the end of class

coolex
01-11-2006, 06:07 PM
i think what tm426 is talking about is a verizon it seems pretty cool for a 5-10 year old it is also good to have for emergency use only

ridered11
01-11-2006, 06:08 PM
my school you can have them, almost every studen has one.

the rule is it has to be off, unless the event of an emergency in which you are permited to use it

if they catch you using it in class (texting) they are told to take it from you and have it put in the office for your parents to pick you up. but most of my teachers are cool and just tell you to put it away

i always have mine on me in silent mode

i think it's a good idea to have one, expecially now a days where allot of the phones have gps tracking on them

ballz2thewall
01-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Just tell him to keep it off and out of sight! I lost one in school because I was dumb and forgot to turn it off! I never did get that back:mad: Like they say " out of sight out of mind"

Tommy 17
01-11-2006, 06:14 PM
pappy i dunno which service u have but with verizon for 9.99$ a month u can add an extra line to your plan... i think cingular does the same thing... he shares your minutes and has his own phone and number...

u also can really mess with him and catch him in a lie... if u really think hes somewhere where he shouldn't be get him a camera phone and u can tell him to take a picture and send u it... u'll know if hes there or not! i know a few kids that their parents made them do this...

most schools have the if we don't see it u can carry it rule... thats how my home town school is now...

i've personally had a cell phone on me since 7th grade:o here at college 900 out of 1000 have a cell phone... almost every class i go to atleast 4 phones ring in 50 mins and interrupt the class...

XCAdam89
01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
We are allowed to have them, just you can't have them out or use them during school. You could get cody one of those phones that you can add to your family plan, but they are specifically designed for kids and can only call around 5 numbers.

Titanium
01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
it sux. in our school they do random locker checks for drugs, alchohol, etc... and they don't think u need cells at all in school so if they find it in ur locker u don't get it back till the end of the year:scary: it happend to me and a couple of friends last year.

Pappy
01-11-2006, 06:19 PM
well i think i will get him something, i appresiate the input.

cody wont abuse the phone, id just like to be able to leave him a voice mail or call in an emergency.

JUSTINcredible
01-11-2006, 06:20 PM
i know some providers have phones that are for kids. you can program like 4 numbers in it.

XCAdam89
01-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Here's some more information on that phone for kid's. It's called the firefly.

http://www.fireflymobile.com/phone/

XCRACER26
01-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by MotoX3
Not at all. My highschool says the teachers just dont want to see them, but I've seen MANY people get caught and just told to put them away.People text each other in school ALL the time and teachers know it...they dont really care anymore.
same here

chunky
01-11-2006, 06:22 PM
we're allowed to have them in school but they have to be on silent....nobody really listens to that rule and the girls usualy keep their phones in their purses and pretend they're looking for something when really they're texting away...the teachers gave up on trying because so many people have them....the worst that will happen is they will tell u to put it away unless your stupid with it and have it out taking pictures or you talk on it in class....because both my parents arent home after school and my sister is home alone till im done lifting its good i have one to make sure i have a ride and make sure i know where she is

dirt308
01-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm 15 and I had to get a cell phone for soccer season. My games were at 7 at night so I alwasy had to call if no one came to the game. I have verizon and I'm on the family in plan. I pay $18.00 a month but can call anyone thats in for free wich means my parents. We all have them in school but the teachers encourage keeping them on silent mode and thats about all they say.

cletusEX
01-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
well i think i will get him something, i appresiate the input.

cody wont abuse the phone, id just like to be able to leave him a voice mail or call in an emergency.

You sound like my Dad. I'm 24 and he is still the one who calls me most (be it after a race or in the duck blind).:p It is definitely a good idea to be able to reach your son.

rollie
01-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah, my highschool just doesnt want to see them, if your good enough you can text message people without anyone seeing:cool:

Pappy
01-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
You sound like my Dad. I'm 24 and he is still the one who calls me most (be it after a race or in the duck blind).:p It is definitely a good idea to be able to reach your son.

my dad would call me all the time, just to check up on me, make sure everything was cool.

i sure do miss that:p well, all except the 4 am call on my b-day every year:grr:

400exrules
01-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Hon300ex
in my school u can have a fone. it jus has to be off and in ur locker. if u get caught with it they give it back at the end of the day the first time and the second time your parents have to pick it up

pretty much the same here, everyone has them, and all the teachers and admins. know it, but its not like they go around searching and checking for phones. teachers here really dont care as long as it doesnt ring in class, of course, your not talking on it or they dont see it. everyone covers their phone under a jacker or whatever to text message, its so friggin obvious but she doesnt do anything unless the phone rings, then she takes it up.

cletusEX
01-11-2006, 06:47 PM
my dad would call me all the time, just to check up on me, make sure everything was cool.

i sure do miss that:p well, all except the 4 am call on my b-day every year:grr:

Yeah everytime I am down on the farm alone, either deer or duck hunting, he calls to see what I killed, but I know he just wants to make sure I'm alright. Same thing with after a race. I used to get annoyed but I'm started to understand. :)

trx400exxracer
01-11-2006, 06:52 PM
we are not supposed to have cell phones in our school but mostly everyone brings theirs

ohh well

but I have not brought mine anymore I got a really really nice one but I dont need it until I drive to school in a year

I get picked up by my parents(mom or dad) or brother and I have plenty of friends that drive so I wouldnt have a problem hitching a ride:D

JDiablo
01-11-2006, 06:52 PM

Same here,lol lots of the time the teachers are even on them....Ken i say go for it,nowadays you dont know what can happen.

01-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
pappy i dunno which service u have but with verizon for 9.99$ a month u can add an extra line to your plan... i think cingular does the same thing... he shares your minutes and has his own phone and number...

u also can really mess with him and catch him in a lie... if u really think hes somewhere where he shouldn't be get him a camera phone and u can tell him to take a picture and send u it... u'll know if hes there or not! i know a few kids that their parents made them do this...

most schools have the if we don't see it u can carry it rule... thats how my home town school is now...

i've personally had a cell phone on me since 7th grade:o here at college 900 out of 1000 have a cell phone... almost every class i go to atleast 4 phones ring in 50 mins and interrupt the class...

Or he could just take pics of his school and other places he should normally be and save them on his phone and just send them:macho But i dont think hes that smart, he is pappys kid.:blah:

WhiteYFZ
01-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Well i go to a Cathloic school, and the is a NO CELL PHONE policy. (THE SCHOOL IS RETARTED) If they catch you with a cell phone, the take it away and you get it back at the end of the year, or they keep it if they want. We are not alowed to have any electronics.
I like this thread. :D

Punk'd
01-11-2006, 09:57 PM
We can have them just not use them during school, but some teachers let you anyway.

Robin Hood
01-11-2006, 10:02 PM
We're not allowed to bring any electronic devices to school.:(

Some teachers let it slide if you know how to play the game right and get on their good side. But others will just take it from you regardless if it's an emergency or not. About 99% of the kids in my school bring their cellulars to school, so Im sure it wouldn't hurt to get Cody a phone. Just make sure his buddies aren't carrying the cool new camera phones or he'll be nagging for it. :devil:

wheeltrax
01-11-2006, 10:46 PM
they are definately nice to have. I know it has saved my butt a few times, where i told someone i was going to be somewhere and get caught in a jam. Or back in high school before i had my license i needed to stay after to make up some hw and could call for a ride home.

Mxjunkie
01-11-2006, 10:50 PM
I love home school, the school I go to for the 2 hours, she lets me talk on my phone if someone calls and such. :cool:

01-11-2006, 10:54 PM
My school had a no phone rule, but everyone brought one anyway. No one really cared.

ak_stick
01-12-2006, 06:15 AM
the only time I think phones shouldn't be allowed is when they cause a distraction within the school.

Give him a phone so you can get in touch with him, and he with you if somthing should happen.

Atkins
01-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Ever since Columbine, our school system's policy is that you can have a cell phone on you, just out of site and off. This is wicked lax and I usually text message a little bit throughout the day, and people have the clips that go on the outside of your pants right out in the open, and no one cares.

Heybo
01-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by coolex
ya my skool is like motox3 s school they say u cnt have it but they now you do and i use mine soem times and they never take it away but if the teacher wants to be a prick she can take it but then gives it bakc at the end of class

So the teacher is a prick if she enforces the rules that YOU are breaking??!?!?!!??

Grow up.

FoxRacing81
01-12-2006, 07:43 AM
The rule is if they don't see them, they don't care.

But half of the teachers really don't care if you use it in there class if there not teaching anything...

-Justin

coryatver
01-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Where I went to high school there was no cell phone signal thank god. :D I hate cell phones. They always go off in my college classes and most people have those annoying ringtones. The worst is during a test. And as soon as class ends everyone pulls out there cell phone and calls someone. I think they are the biggest waste of money and time there is.

dirtmomma
01-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by TM426
I dont know what service provider has these phone. But, they make a phone with only 4 preset numbers by the parent. That way your kids can only call 4 people and not rack up a phone bill with all their friends. Although I dont think Cody would do that.:D Those phones should be allowed in school.
Do beleive it's Verizon Migo :)

underpowered
01-12-2006, 10:37 AM
at my old high school cell phones were allowed, but must be turned off during the school day. Before and after school was fine to have them. most students, including me, had them on at all time just on silent during school hours. if we we caught using them they were taken away until the end of the day. if we were caught more than once it was taken away and a parent had to retrieve it from the deans office. most teachers did not care if we had them on as long as it was not disrupting class, but other were real sticklers about it and would take them away any chance they had. i have only had a phone for about 3 years now, got it junior year of HS but needed one much earlier for instances like pappy stated in the begining.

bwamos
01-12-2006, 10:55 AM
IMHO, in high school Cell Phones should be like condoms. It's ok to carry one in your pocket, but you better not be using it. :devil:

wilkin250r
01-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
IMHO, in high school Cell Phones should be like condoms. It's ok to carry one in your pocket, but you better not be using it. :devil:

I got caught breaking THAT rule during class when I was in high school. :devil:

450Racer
01-12-2006, 12:10 PM
in my school you have to have it turned off and in your locker from the morning bell to dismissal. in a day of technology, i think it's ridiculus we can't have them on us. what if there is an emergency (family member dies, doctor appointment, etc.) where we need to know about it. personally, we should be able to have them on vibrate and if we get a message, we should have a pass out to hear it. however, it should not be from students. the teacher should verify the message from it's owner deemin it an important call. such as Pappy said, its' subzero here in PA. what if parents are late and their kids stand outside with just a jacket for 30 minutes in horrible weather? it's not right. they should be able to receive a message before school lets out telling them they'll be late so they can stay in the building or find a ride home.

personal story...my friend had her cell phone on her and turned on for the reasons i explained ^. her friend texted her and told her she needed a ride home. so her teacher pulled her aside, disrupted class for 5-10 minutes as she wrote out 3-day inschool suspension for her. when her gram found out she kicked her out of her house. she called me at midnight crying and told me to come pick her up at Sheetz. so i jumped in my truck with boxers on (i was sleepin) and it was bout 5 degree out and picked her up. she ran 2 miles in shorts, a t-shirt, and socks. her gram called the cops and was going to have her put in a detention home till she was 18 (she's 16 now). so she stayed at my house then the next day we went and got her stuff and she stayed at her sisters house where she lives now. all of this because a **** cell phone. this kinda stuff makes me mad. in the long run it was better for her though cause her gram was abusive and uncapable of raising a teenage girl. sorry to make it long but it's a true story and it just goes to show everyone else the background of it. we don't carry them for the fun of it, to be rebels, or to cause trouble. my friend would have probably walked home (5 miles) because her gram wasn't even home that day so neither of the two girls had a ride. this is one of the many issues that needs taken care of by our school boards. i'd give anything to chat with them.

quadrcr161
01-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by 450Racer
in my school you have to have it turned off and in your locker from the morning bell to dismissal. in a day of technology, i think it's ridiculus we can't have them on us. what if there is an emergency (family member dies, doctor appointment, etc.) where we need to know about it. personally, we should be able to have them on vibrate and if we get a message, we should have a pass out to hear it. however, it should not be from students. the teacher should verify the message from it's owner deemin it an important call. such as Pappy said, its' subzero here in PA. what if parents are late and their kids stand outside with just a jacket for 30 minutes in horrible weather? it's not right. they should be able to receive a message before school lets out telling them they'll be late so they can stay in the building or find a ride home.

there might be situations like that, but they could do what they did back before every one had a cell phone, call the office and send a message, it use to work pretty good before. the parrent can also call the office and leave a message if they are running late, i know teachers and office staff stay later then when schools out. As for rides there is the bus, taxes pay for it to run and all the kids are zoned usually withen distance to the school, so there is always a ride home. it just seems parrents are giving them to the kids to keep from having to watch them. they drop them off at places and dont worry about it, and kids will be kids, having them on during school is a huge distraction. it was hard enough paying attention during school and not having cell phones, ipods, ect... ect..

im not tying to knock pappys parenting, if i had a kid i would want them to be as good as cody seems to be, but some parrents are just handing them to the kids and not trying to take the time to actually pay attention to what their kid is doing. i worked in the cell phone business during college a few years ago, it wasnt that big of a trend as it is now but it was getting that way. IMO kids in HS or below dont need a cell phone.

theTman
01-12-2006, 12:46 PM
we cant have cells,MP3,walkman anything like that....

but we do it anyways, they just say stuff like oh put that away, not supposed to have those but if your talking on a cell they will take it away

TheFontMaster
01-12-2006, 12:46 PM
W aren't suposed to have phones on at our shcool, but alot of the teachers don't care if you have them. I always just put my phone on vibrate, then I know if someone is calling me, but I won't get in trouble for it. Hell yesterday in english class I called up a radio station about one of the stories a friend of mine heard that morning, teacher sittin right there too lol.

bulkdriverlp
01-12-2006, 01:31 PM
guy i work with got his grandson a FIREFLY, he is real happy with it. the problem he had was when the grandson went down state to see his dad, there would be calls on the bill they didnt recognize. problem solved, with firefly, you have to program the numbers in.

Camaroguy87132
01-12-2006, 06:32 PM
boy i must have it made then... in my school you can have them if they go off the teachers just tell ya to turn it off, or sometimes they will even dance to the ringtone... some will take them away but only for the class period, they let us listen to ipods, mp3s, you can talk on your phone in the hallways, no one cares..

BlasterEaten250
01-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Hon300ex

400exstud
01-12-2006, 07:57 PM
At my school, you can't carry a phone but I do it anyway. Most of my friends do to. As long as it is on silent you can still recieve voicemail and it won't bother anyone as long as you don't screw around. I have only had it taken away once by my favorite teacher just because he was messing with me that day.

KansasKidd
01-12-2006, 09:34 PM
HA....well i'm not in highschool, i go to WyoTech, and if they catch you with a phone, they will sentance you to death by leathal injection. At least thats what it seems like. First time getting caught is -50 points off your grade (ouch) and a semester of social probation, which basically means that if you screw up once your gone, and you money is gone to

ak_stick
01-13-2006, 03:38 AM
HAHAHAH screw that, I wouldn't go to that school if they were the last college on earth I could apply to.

I'm on call pretty much all the time, so I have my phone on me 24/7, usualy on silent, but always on.

I dont like the firefly idea, because what happens if someone needs to call your kid, or say you get in an accident and have to use another guys phone? the phone wont recognize it....

TacomaNC4X4
01-13-2006, 10:33 PM
i got suspended for having one. i was talkin to the honda dealership about sumthin and the principle walked around the corner in the hall and told me to get it to him. he said my parents would have to come pick it up(like 30min outta their way). so i told him he wont gettin it. i kept it in my pocket and told him i wont gonna give him my phone so he could stick that idea up his ***. and i got suspended...but i had my phone

FourFiftyFour
01-14-2006, 04:55 AM
when i went to high school i didnt have a cell until like my junior or senior year i think.. i remember people always texting each other and stuff in Ag class, but if any of the normal teachers caught you using them then they would take them up. I just left my phone on silent and in my purse. Once I was using it during lunch for I dont remember what reason and it got taken up but I got it back at the end of the day. Other than that I never had any issues with carrying a cell phone at school.

01-14-2006, 09:05 AM
we have to have our cell phones off in school, but we can have them, as long as they are off

they are scared of us text messaging answers to tests etc

i leave mine on anyway just on silent mode, they would never know the difference

Cody_300ex
01-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I have a cell phone and I use it for that very reason. Its nothing special, no camera, no video bs, just a plain old nokia. My dad, my brother and me are on a famliy plan, so its free to call all other cingular users and my dad and brother. I take it to school everyday, I usally turn it on silent or off. I use it to call friends here and there but thats about it. I think i play snake on it more than I actually talk on it, lol. Last year (winter, about 10 degrees & a little over a foot 1/2 of snow) my school bus got stuck in a ditch about a mile from my house and i knew it was going to take for ever to get it out. I called my dad to pick me up, school wasnt happy but I wasnt going to freeze my *** off in there.

enduro400rider
01-14-2006, 10:36 AM
my school if your caught with one they take it away till the end of the year. I still carry mine, i just turn it on vibrate and dont take it in front of teachers. the priciple always gives a speech on how strict they are on cell phones, and he says he has one but he leaves it at home. i walked into the office thursday and hes sittin at the desk playing with his cell phone :rolleyes: .but if you get a phone DONT go with a pay as you go. i have one from t-moble that you pay as you go, it supposed to be a no bs contract and you only spend the minuates you use. everytime i use it for a few minuates it bills me for at least 10 min. i cant wait to get my contract next month, pay as you go sucks

HondaEXrider22
01-14-2006, 11:04 AM

eaxactlly what my school does. Just dont get caught messing with them and deff. have them on silent.

DeerNuts
01-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by TacomaNC4X4
i kept it in my pocket and told him i wont gonna give him my phone so he could stick that idea up his ***. and i got suspended...but i had my phone

You did not tell your principal to stick your phone up his ***. Come on now.

Also, does anyone actually read what they post? What the hell does "wont gonna give him my phone" mean?

This isnt bashing, but do you know how immature and stupid this sounds? It is the direct opposite of the hardarse effect you are trying for.

Again, dont get pissed at this, just think about it.

fast_enough
01-14-2006, 02:03 PM
The other day my friend shane was getting a pencil out of his pocket, and his cell phone fell out. It was off and everything, but they took the phone and he had detention for the 5 periods left of the school day

wvspeedfreak
01-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Kenny,get him a cell phone and then get a picture of him with it up to his ear in mid air over the tabletop at your track..............that would be sweet :D :p :cool:

Seriously though,I think it's a good idea to get him one.

Bound4Dirt
01-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Around here, students are forbidden to have or carry cell phones in school. I can full well understand the reasoning behind it etc.

However, ever since Columbine, 9/11 and other major events Ive thought that a cell phone would be a must have but i havent given my son one.

Today, I was running 20 minutes late to pick him up at the bus stop when I ran into a huge traffic jam. Time passed and after repeated attempts to call my son at the house failed, I was damn near in a panick. I was just about ready to 4wd it thru some yards to get out of the clogged roadways when my cell rang, it was cody. He explained that he was on the bus on a "safety" phone one of his friends carries. They too were stuck in this traffic and running about 45 minutes late getting home. Boy was I relieved.

That got me to thinking I will buy him one of those cheap "pay as you go" phones for emergencys only and say to hell with the school.

Is this practice common in most schools?

My daughter has one in high school. We got the family plan and she shares my wife's minutes. Well worth it!

Bound4Dirt
01-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
my school if your caught with one they take it away till the end of the year. I still carry mine, i just turn it on vibrate and dont take it in front of teachers. the priciple always gives a speech on how strict they are on cell phones, and he says he has one but he leaves it at home. i walked into the office thursday and hes sittin at the desk playing with his cell phone :rolleyes: .but if you get a phone DONT go with a pay as you go. i have one from t-moble that you pay as you go, it supposed to be a no bs contract and you only spend the minuates you use. everytime i use it for a few minuates it bills me for at least 10 min. i cant wait to get my contract next month, pay as you go sucks

It's not their's to do so. I would fight it. The principal is well aware that I am hot tempered (Italian) and have $$$ to fight the school. One call and my daughter's phone would be back. Although, my daughter doesn't use it in school.

redlineranger
01-14-2006, 09:10 PM
you get suspended for a day at my school if your caught with one

^^GAY:mad: .... i could see why there would be so much trouble though there are those few kids at my school that would talk all day in every class.... if you take it to school just turn it off until the bell rings to go home they cant say nothin to you then

tp300ex
01-14-2006, 10:07 PM
we have that rule at my school but i still bring mine not like they will check my pockits lol:devil:
plus my 8 year old cuzz just got one and her mother lovers the safty

ZeroLogic
01-15-2006, 11:23 AM
In my school your aloud to have them, but you can't bring them out during class execpt when useing the cactulater (sp).

Quad Boy 660r
02-04-2006, 11:41 PM
Last year, at my middle school, Possession of a cell phone was grounds for expulsion.

WhiteYFZ
02-04-2006, 11:54 PM
i think we should be allowed to bring them to school.
i have a sidekick2, and i just bring it and talk to my friends on aim in class. even though were not allowed to have phones......

bluebaron
02-05-2006, 10:36 AM
last year we would always call the teachers phones during class, it took them a while to figure who it was.

were not suppose to have them out during school but most teachers dont care, even when they ring the just tell us to silence it. one of my teachers dont even care if we answer it.

416exfreak
02-05-2006, 11:42 AM
my highschool doesnt care what you do or have, we listen to our cd players in class, and text message in class too, it all depends on what the teachers are like. because we arent supposed to even have the above stuff, but we dont bother anyone with it so the teachers dont care, and if it keeps the kids out of trouble, i say the hell with the school!:macho