PDA

View Full Version : Things to get cryoed?

jas250r
01-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I started a thread a month or so ago, about yukon gears. Somebody suggested to get the stock gears cryoed. I bought a set of the yukon gears, and replaced a few other gears on the mainshaft. Now it is about time for me to send all the stock gears and the two shafts to get cryoed. My question is should i send the shift forks , shift drum, fork rod, or anything else that tends to break or wear out?

wilkin250r
01-11-2006, 02:09 PM
My metallurgy isn't the best, so I can't answer your question directly.

However, I'm willing to bet that whomever is doing the cryo process CAN answer that question. The metallurgical engineers that are doing the process could tell you exactly what the process will accomplish, and whether or not it would be a good idea to get other wear items treated.

jas250r
01-11-2006, 02:17 PM
maybe, but i was just curious if anyone has had any other experience? items they did and why

beerock
01-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by jas250r
I started a thread a month or so ago, about yukon gears. Somebody suggested to get the stock gears cryoed. I bought a set of the yukon gears, and replaced a few other gears on the mainshaft. Now it is about time for me to send all the stock gears and the two shafts to get cryoed. My question is should i send the shift forks , shift drum, fork rod, or anything else that tends to break or wear out?

yes of course. any gears in the motor should be cyroed if you want to do it the best way. I told chef to do all this to his motor when we were discussing how to build and strengthen the R bottom end for a 425psi. he did everything and that motor has alot of hours on it compared to others that kept blowing.

jas250r
01-11-2006, 03:57 PM
What parts did he do? Can you do a crank? I was thinking of like i said the shift drum and forks and fork rod, but also the main drive gear on the clutch side the clutch basket gear, water pump shaft, balancer gear maybe, i would'nt think that you need to do anything with the kick starter? That's all i could think of that i thought was really abused. Did chef send out used parts to get cryoed or only brand new?