PDA

View Full Version : grinding sound, rear axle, 2001 400ex

ddawg
01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
1)Recently my 400ex has been having an awful grinding sound that seems to be coming from the rear axle housing. When I turn at a slow 1st gear speed it screeches like a rock grinding on metal. Going straight there comes a deeper grinding sound. Does anyone know any common problems with this model and what solution they found
2) Where is the best place to get a shop manual that will make it easy for me to take apart the rear axle to see if I can tell what the problem is inside of there. Or if someone wants to simply tell me what to do that would be great as well.

Thanks, if you have time please email me at dustindoll06@yahoo.com in addition to posting on the sight in case I don't check this for a couple of days.

honda92
01-10-2006, 08:01 PM
good chance your axle bearings are toast, jack the quad up and pull up on one of the wheels and see if the axle moves, if it does you need new bearings. just for the hell of it though check to see if your brake rotor is hitting your skid plate or something dumb like that before you start ripping things apart. i'm sure there is a write up on how to change them on this site if you do a search, its a easy task and you can get it done in a couple of hours.

ironbear77
01-10-2006, 08:14 PM
could also be some stuff in your brakes making it noisy. but like he said jack it up and check for play in and direction. the carriers are crap from the factory and if you ride hard it can and will go out about every year if you dont keep it greased and cleaned up.

but it is not hard to change your bearings or better yet get a new better double carrier...:cool:

blakefoote
01-11-2006, 06:44 AM
its prob just the brakes mine do it....and i presure was them really good and it will stop.....just look at them and see if they need replaceds and clean them really good.........:ermm:

rooster400ex
01-11-2006, 12:59 PM
your bearings are trahed probably, my friend just had his replaced about a week ago on his 660 raptor, it was making the same noise

zeppelin
01-11-2006, 02:04 PM
check the brakes first but it will probably be you axle bearings