PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore Question

QuadManThrice
01-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Right now I have a 416 kit with 11.2:1 compression and I was wondering what the advantages of moving up to maybe a 440? would be. If there are any. And what about the reliability issue? Will I want to do anything mods wise to keep it running cooler?

2004exrider
01-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Here's what i've picked up around here.
The 416 will rev faster but the 440 puts out a lot more torque and will give you some more power if built right.
For reliability some people are gonna tell you its only gonna be as reliable as the person who owns it. I'm sure that if you do the preventative maintenance on it like changing oil regularly, cleaning air filter, adjust valves, etc it should be a pretty good motor. But some mods to do to it to help keep it cooler would probably be to either get a bigger oil tank and cooler or hook up a second oil cooler to it. Some might say air scoops will help out, but imo i think the only thing they accomplish is helping to make your quad look better.

Jimmy

JOEX
01-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
Here's what i've picked up around here.
The 416 will rev faster but the 440 puts out a lot more torque and will give you some more power if built right.
For reliability some people are gonna tell you its only gonna be as reliable as the person who owns it. I'm sure that if you do the preventative maintenance on it like changing oil regularly, cleaning air filter, adjust valves, etc it should be a pretty good motor. But some mods to do to it to help keep it cooler would probably be to either get a bigger oil tank and cooler or hook up a second oil cooler to it. Some might say air scoops will help out, but imo i think the only thing they accomplish is helping to make your quad look better.

Jimmy
Would it be different if it's bored to 440cc vs. stroked to 440cc?

vinny3299
01-11-2006, 12:35 AM
ok and if you do the bore or stroke would this 440ex be able to hang with 450rs??

2004exrider
01-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Would it be different if it's bored to 440cc vs. stroked to 440cc?

Man, thats a pretty good question:confused:???
I guess the power would feel different, if im right you can do a 416 piston with an extra 4mm stroke to make a 440 so it would probably make a lot more of its power at lower rpm's, im not really to sure. Hopefully some one else will chime in that has some experience with that set up and can compare it with just an 89mm piston.

Jimmy