PDA

View Full Version : shortest x4 pipe

drybranch
01-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Need some help-searched for the post with the pics of sparks x4on the 300 ex showing how some were shorter than others and cannot find it. Which one fits the best as far as length in comparison to the grab bar?

300exOH
01-10-2006, 10:00 PM
The x4 with spark arrestor is a bit shorter than the race version(turndown endcap). Mine is about an inch or 2 shorter than the stock grab bar would be.

drybranch
01-11-2006, 07:27 AM
what do you all think of the difference? Does it matter if you have a spark arrester and is it louder with out or does it matter?

300exOH
01-11-2006, 07:42 AM
The spark arrested version is quite a bit quieter than the turndown style. The turndown version will have a bit more topend and the spark arrestor version will have a bit more low end power. Personally I like the extra low end since I ride trails.

drybranch
01-11-2006, 07:58 AM
How does the spark arrester version compare to the stock exhaust in sound?

300exOH
01-11-2006, 08:03 AM
It's much louder and deeper than the stock pipe but not ridiculously loud. So far it's the best sounding pipe I've heard on the 300. I couldn't be happier with mine although I'm sure the neighbors preferred the stocker.:o

bwamos
01-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Aye, the spark arested version witht he diffuser plates will be a lot quieter than the turndown style. That being said. A lot quieter is still very loud.. lol.

Depending on where you live it may not even be legal. A lot of states (Oregon for example) have a dB limit in riding areas.

300exOH
01-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Aye, the spark arested version witht he diffuser plates will be a lot quieter than the turndown style. That being said. A lot quieter is still very loud.. lol.

Lol. Very true. It's still much quieter than the cheap cobra I had. I'm not sure what the dB's are on the x4/w sparky but I'm sure it's much lower than the turndown style. I heard a few 300's with the turndown at the Orrville TT race and man they were ear piercing.:eek2:

bwamos
01-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Aye, I have the turndown style. I shortened it 2" to clear the rear grab bar, so I could put it up on its haunches to do maintenance.

The turndown is well over 100dB's at 50% rpm (I'd guess around 105dB's since the 450r BC is 112dB's). I'd imagine it's well over 110dB's at the rev limit.

I'd imagine Curtis made the spark arested version with standard core meet the 96dB requirement for most racing applications.

I also put some high quality multi layered packing in my silencer. It helped deaden the noise a little.

I feel guilty just working on the motor in the back yard. There's no way I'd ever ride that thing near any neigborhoods.. lol. I'll only run the thing 5-10 minutes at a time between 3pm and 6pm to cause the least amount if disturbance. Luckily most of the neighbors are gearheads too. Once I start it up, a couple usually come wandering over, or peak over the fence.. lol.

It's puts Vance & Hines Harleys to shame.. lol.

300exOH
01-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah I was thinking about repacking my silencer with silent sport packing to see if it made it any quieter. I don't ride around the yard too much either but now and then I have to just to keep the fluids moving. I try to keep the rpm's down so it isn't so loud. I'm usually only on it for about 15 min. or so and it's always in the daytime. I live out in a rural area so the noise isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure it's still not as loud as some of the harley's around here though.

drybranch
01-11-2006, 09:43 AM
So some tracks and riding areas require spark arresters I guess?