PDA

View Full Version : 300 ex w/ sparks X4 ?

drybranch
01-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I am getting ready to buy a sparks x4 exhaust for my 300 ex. Just wondering if you all usually have to put on anymore heat deflective tape after installing a pipe like this. Also my bike is stock with a k&n filter, are the directions for jetting that are on the sparks website pretty close to correct? I am at about 4000 ft here in WV and wondered if this would make much difference.

300exOH
01-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I have the x4 with spark arrestor and I haven't had any problems with melting my plastics. You may need to remount your rear brake reservoir away from the pipe though. I just mounted mine on the inside of the frame instead of the outside. Not sure about your elevation but my jetting is set to sparks recommendations and it seems to be right on. I'm at about 500-750ft. above sea level. Sparks jetting specs is without an airbox lid also.

drybranch
01-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks- I am planning on putting an outerwear lid on that I got from motoworld so I still have some protection for my airbox-don't guess that will restrict the flow too much.

300exOH
01-11-2006, 07:49 AM
The outerwear lid should work perfectly. It won't restrict the flow at all. I had a homemade version on mine(like the EHS lids) and it worked fine until I washed it with simple green. For some reason after cleaning it with simple green it's no longer waterproof. :(

bwamos
01-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by drybranch
I am getting ready to buy a sparks x4 exhaust for my 300 ex. Just wondering if you all usually have to put on anymore heat deflective tape after installing a pipe like this. Also my bike is stock with a k&n filter, are the directions for jetting that are on the sparks website pretty close to correct? I am at about 4000 ft here in WV and wondered if this would make much difference.

I added some new heat reflecting tape to my rear plastics for saftey. I also made a small bracket out of steel rod and put a piece of high temp tubing over it to use as a standoff around the pipe so someone can sit behind me when putting around in the dunes without melting my plastics to the pipe. ;) Attaches at the old front pipe mount.

Up front I use a 04-05 450r heatshield and standoffs. Fits up great.

300exOH
01-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
I added some new heat reflecting tape to my rear plastics for saftey. I also made a small bracket out of steel rod and put a piece of high temp tubing over it to use as a standoff around the pipe so someone can sit behind me when putting around in the dunes without melting my plastics to the pipe. ;) Attaches at the old front pipe mount.

Up front I use a 04-05 450r heatshield and standoffs. Fits up great.

Any pics of the high temp tubing? Sounds like a good idea.

I'm also using the 450r heat shield and it works perfectly on the sparks pipe. No more burnt pant legs.;)

bwamos
01-11-2006, 09:37 AM
I'll try to take some. It's pretty simple.

drybranch
01-11-2006, 09:40 AM
yeah I'd love to see that high temp tubing too cause I would like to do that myself

300exOH
01-11-2006, 09:42 AM
I'll try to take some. It's pretty simple.

Thanks. What kind of tubing is it and where can I get some?

bwamos
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
It was just some reinforced vacume tubing used on cars. It slides over the bracket to give a softer surface to keep from damaging the plastic and rubbing the frame.

bwamos
01-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Here's a quick sketch of basically what I did for the bracket.

300exOH
01-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Here's a quick sketch of basically what I did for the bracket.

Okay. I see what you mean. I'm assuming the line on the left is the plastic. Nice simple solution.:macho

bwamos
01-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Aye.

I made it so when someone's sitting on the back (like my niece), it keeps them from pushing my Fullbore Plastics into the pipe, especially if they have short legs.. lol. ;)

And, now that I think about it.. the return leg going up, I beleive actually goes down, and lies against the lower rail.

Just as a note: I don't "ride" with anyone on the back. Just putt up to the drag strip, or putt over to one of the ponds, or drive them up the the showers etc... And they ALWAYS have to wear a helmet. ;)

Ride safe, ride smart, ride sober, or loose the right to ride.

kyleschonert
01-11-2006, 05:05 PM
bwamos, do you have a pic. of your 300? all the time ive been on this forum, i beleive i have not seen one picture of it yet.

300ex_#387
01-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by kyleschonert
bwamos, do you have a pic. of your 300? all the time ive been on this forum, i beleive i have not seen one picture of it yet.

Yeah I don't think I have ever seen it either?...By the way kyle I should be at the Feb. 4th race racing this time, depends on if my parents have to work on that day. I'll prolly be at the 24th one too.

kyleschonert
01-11-2006, 05:20 PM
sweet. did you find some works shocks?

300ex_#387
01-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm gonna prolly get the set of Tony Steber...corys dad. I still need to get my killswitch and numbers and some rear tires. I got my front baja rims today in the mail...got them for 60 shipped there not to bad for that price.

kyleschonert
01-11-2006, 05:29 PM
i see your runnin turf tamers to. lol. i could have used those this weekend, that track was tacky as hell! they helped on that holeshot though;) . lol.

300ex_#387
01-11-2006, 05:33 PM
lol, yeah im gonna try and run some tamers if I can get a good deal on them. Yeah it didnt seem like you guys couldnt slide that well on that dirt. Do you think they will change the track any for the next race? I think it would be cool if instead of that big double they made that into a big triple. We might actually have a decent size jump that we can hit lol.

kyleschonert
01-11-2006, 09:00 PM
yea, im sure they'll change it up a little bit, they always do. last time at this track, where the whoops were this time, was an 85ft triple. so the tracks always vary.

300exOH
01-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Aye.

I made it so when someone's sitting on the back (like my niece), it keeps them from pushing my Fullbore Plastics into the pipe, especially if they have short legs.. lol. ;)

And, now that I think about it.. the return leg going up, I beleive actually goes down, and lies against the lower rail.

Just as a note: I don't "ride" with anyone on the back. Just putt up to the drag strip, or putt over to one of the ponds, or drive them up the the showers etc... And they ALWAYS have to wear a helmet. ;)

Ride safe, ride smart, ride sober, or loose the right to ride.

Thanks for the info. I may have to see if I can work out something similar myself. I don't really have passengers on mine either unless I putt around the yard with one of the kids. It would be a nice preventative piece though since I tend to put my fat arse out on the fenders for hard turns now and then.:o

bwamos
01-12-2006, 08:45 AM

I can get a pic. It's nothing special. It's an XC quad, not a show quad.. lol.

Red Full Bore Plastics full fender. Sparks Pipe. Works AT Steelers w/ remote up front. Ultracross rear w/ remote. Stock arms and swinger, chromoly tierods though. (I like it narrow in the woods). DG sunrise style front bumper (allows me to wrap a tow rope around it, you can see it in my avatar) ;). Baja skids. Ceet seat cover. Trail Tech Lights. Denton damper.

Nothing special. I'll try to dig up something for you though.

Every part that has been replaced on it has been by neccesity.. lol. Except for the 330 kit. That was just because I could.. lol.