PDA

View Full Version : repacking silencer

250r4life
01-10-2006, 03:44 PM
alright, so ive heard of and thought of several theories regarding the need to re-pack silencers... several people think they need to be repacked regularly, as the packing gets blown out and it ends up creating spots for air to bounce around in and not flow as quickly... others think as the packing gets blown out it just flows better, its not really a big deal to re-pack them... i personally think re-packing them as much as lets say duncan suggests (every few hours) is BS... one thing to be considered though regarding the packing, is all the exhaust crap that accumulates in the pipe and silencer, that could surely suffocate your bike... i know when i rebuilt my bike, there was tons of crap in my bike that i had to sandblast out... so any thoughts/theories/opinions regarding the pros/cons of repacking a silencer in a 2 stroke, and also regarding the necessity and frequency???

250r4life
01-11-2006, 10:07 AM
c'mon beerock, wilkin, honda350r, etc... i know you guys have messed around with 'em and have thoughts and opinions...

screaminta
02-28-2006, 01:20 PM
I also want to know this? Do you have to repack? Or is it more a quieting the bike down kinda thing?

trx250rkid
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
repacking ur exhaust quiets the bike down from when it had old packing in it and it gains back the power it lost with blown out packing.

250r4life
02-28-2006, 02:57 PM
see, i dont know how power is lost with blown out packing... the explanations i have heard havent made too much sense... the only thing that would make sense tome is back pressure, but nobody uses this argument... so i took my fat boy 2 silencer apart and it was 99% blown out... i went ahead and repacked it. my buddy has an 88r with a fatty pipe and bills silencer, that hasnt been repacked for a good 8 years, so is clearly blown out... although we will see if we ever do it, i said we should go to the hill @ the dunes, and switch out our silencers and make multiple test runs, tacking our speed with a gps, and seeing if there is any truth to blown out silencer robbing power, and vice versa... like i said we'll see what happens... if we ever get around to doing it..

airsprint
05-07-2006, 10:56 PM
The reason you lose power with blown out packing is the excessive turbulence in the silencer air flowing all over the place and not going straight through like it was designed to.

When the packing is blown out you might notice you have a "flat spot" in high rpms