PDA

View Full Version : what to paint plastic with

Deadly300
01-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I am tired of that same old red on my 300 and was wandering what to use to paint my plastic if possible

theTman
01-10-2006, 02:18 PM
krylon fusion

went from red to orange

Quadboy350
01-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Usually it looks crappy when someone paints there plastic but i can say that 400ex looks pretty good.

FoxRacing81
01-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Yep. Fusion works, if you apply several coats, and you must let it sit for like a week before it becomes fully chip resistant.

CannondaleRider
01-13-2006, 11:33 PM
These are some very detailed directions. I have yet to try it. Sometime this week.

I got this off someone on CannondaleRiders

-------------------------------------

Krylon Fusion Painting Directions

1. Take the plastic and rub it lightly with some 200 grit sandpaper. LIGHTLY, otherwise you will leave deep scratch that will show.

2. Clean the plastic really well with a tack cloth. Then use brake cleaner in the folds and bends to get any grease and grime out.

3. Use a good cleaner with ammonia or rubbing alcohol. Something that will not leave a film.

4. Put on the first coat as more of a speckle job. Do not try and cover everything on the first couple of coats. Make them thin. And do at least three coats to cover the whole thing in the first 24 hours, But not to close together.

5. Let sit AT LEAST 5-7 days to harden and dry, Then apply another coat or two.

6. Wait until the tack is gone on the final coat you apply. And then use a clear acrylic coating. Do not get very close to the paint when using the clear coat. Always stay a foot back or you will cause an 'orange peel' effect. I like to spend 2-3 days with the clear coat. Usually about 2 cans for the rear and 2 cans for the front.

7. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! After it dries for a couple of days. Put it in the tub and wet sand LIGHTY with 1500 grit paper. You must wet sand! It will make the surface very smooth and slick. That helps it not to chip and does not give place for mud to stick and make it start flaking. Be very careful on the edges, those are the first place that it's going to chip.

If you take your time with Fusion and do it right, you can get some fantastic results. And with the cheap price of red and about $20 of Fusion and clear coat you can have any color you want.

Mxjunkie
01-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Krylon fushion :cool:

copter
01-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Any kind of quality automotive paint with a flex agent added and good surface prep will work

bmurray
01-15-2006, 07:57 PM
there are two different bases for plastic primer and paint. It depends on if a small sliver of your plastic floats in a cup of water or it sinks. This is how a good paint store can get you the correct paint.

250Renvy
01-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Don't paint it, it'll most likely just scrape and peel. Try this and let me know how it works

http://www.parasolinc.com/Dyes-Paints.asp

Ralph
01-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Ive neve had any first hand experience with krylon fusion paint but it seems to be the bes out there but im still no sold on it. I would just leave it because it will eventualy look like poooop. If you would like to change colors then you should buy new plastics and if you dont feel like fronting the money for new plastics then just stick with the plane jane old school red cause once the paint starts chipping ur screwed and u will be stuck with junk plastic.

stiffy
01-18-2006, 05:07 PM
I used PPG with a flex additive

ZeroLogic
01-18-2006, 05:37 PM
That is real nice.

catfishing
01-26-2006, 01:21 PM
OK i am going to paint my wife's 300ex plastic with krylon fusion.She wants it pink.I am going to do the underneath of rear section first.Give it the time to cure and be chip resistant.Then i am going to test it out to see if it will hold up.That way i will only have that part to clean.Wish me luck!!

ZeroLogic
01-26-2006, 01:35 PM
I would also put a few coats of clear coat on top of that also...