PDA

View Full Version : Moderators - look into security?

250Renvy
01-10-2006, 12:58 PM
This should probably be in the comments and suggestions, but as I don't know how to reach moderators this will have to do.

The other atv forums are falling one by one to hackers and since this is the larger of the forums, it would be a shame to lose it too. Obviously new security will not stop all, but may deter some from trying.

Since I know this costs money to maintain etc there should be more available information on how to support this forum through donations etc - I mean really easy info because I searched a bit and didn't find a clear cut way to donate. Maybe a sticky or forum titled, how to donate or donations received to acknowledge those that do.

I'm sure most people would be willing to donate a min of $1 and easily as much as $5-10 which shouldn't be that much to each person but collectively should add up.

wilkin250r
01-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Up at the very top are buttons. Home, Forums, Articles, Reviews, Videos, Gallery, Projects, Links, Quotes, Interviews, Racing, Models, Donation, Contact Us.

We certainly appreciate any donations we recieve. You're right, this website costs money to run. However, you'd be surprised at how few are actually willing to donate, even $1.

Guy400
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Good idea with the donations. Now, if I could just figure out a way to route the donations to my Paypal account:D

omaits
01-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Doesn't the advertising revenue cover the expenses? I never really donated to a company before....I don't think I ever will either.

250Renvy
01-10-2006, 08:01 PM
See what I mean, as obvious as you think it is many people have probably never noticed that button.

I think I'll get one of those long sleeves for riding.

Pappy
01-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by omaits
Doesn't the advertising revenue cover the expenses? I never really donated to a company before....I don't think I ever will either.

you could purchase items from our sponsors, or use thier services. may a shirt or two to show your support. no one is asking for anything from anyone, but support is a good thing.

it amazes me that people will spend hours upon hours reaping the benefits that are offered by not only this but any good website and feel they dont have to do jack to support it. thats cool, dont buy anything, dont do anything but enjoy yourself. there are those of us that will make sure this site doesnt fail, as we have done in the past.

as far as security, admin is all over it, but there are limits to what we can do. you find away to protect every website 100% from a hacker and you my friend will have bill gates calling you daddy!

JOEX
01-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

as far as security, admin is all over it, but there are limits to what we can do. you find away to protect every website 100% from a hacker and you my friend will have bill gates calling you daddy!
Are you sure uncle Bill is one to talk to about security:p

Pappy
01-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Are you sure uncle Bill is one to talk to about security:p

lol..Joe you are starting to see thru my jokes to fast:devil:

JDiablo
01-10-2006, 08:28 PM
I donate,its just that Pappy steals it all!!!

Pappy
01-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by JDiablo
I donate,its just that Pappy steals it all!!!

keep it up and Louie "the Hammer" will be paying you a visit:devil: you jersey boys know all about a long ride in the country right:D

JDiablo
01-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
keep it up and Louie "the Hammer" will be paying you a visit:devil: you jersey boys know all about a long ride in the country right:D

Look \/ its LOUIE!!!! lol im from the boondocks :D lol remeber that one pappy?

nowukno
01-11-2006, 12:01 AM
I love this site , i probably wouldn't know half the stuff i know about quads if i wouldn't have found this place. Sunday night i donated $10 and bought a t-shirt. :)

01-11-2006, 12:13 AM
the hoodie and shirt I bought are sitting at my college right now while im on break out of state :mad:

nowukno
01-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
the hoodie and shirt I bought are sitting at my college right now while im on break out of state :mad:

Shouldn't it say "ATV Riders Patron" below your name?

01-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by nowukno
Shouldn't it say "ATV Riders Patron" below your name? i dont think so. I think you hav to donate $10 outright to the site for that

Pappy
01-11-2006, 05:16 AM
the patron thing is on hold simply because harlen cant get to adding the small "patron" deal i believe. trust me, i see behind the scenes and he is busier then i am:eek2:

trust me, you fella's aint seen nuttin yet:cool:

wilkin250r
01-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by omaits

I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you honestly think that advertising revenue covers everything, you have a lot to learn about the real world.

Sure, site sponsers cover a lot of expenses, but it's not the lucritive deal you might imagine. For most websites, they barely cover bandwidth costs. If you're lucky, they also cover server upgrade costs as your website grows. They usually don't pay for the time and expertise to maintain the website, or features that cost money (like race coverage, somebody has to buy a plane ticket or gas to travel to those races).

insaneracin2003
01-11-2006, 10:00 AM
It simply amazes me how people can ask for sumthin for nothing.i have been on this site for over 2 years and have bought numerous things from C&D,had alot of pc'ing done from Pappy and i also donated some duckies for my membership here and also bought shirts.(my hoodie is next).people enjoy this site for many different reasons.Ie,race coverage,tech help,buy & sell, even for a good laugh.
Donations can be very small,if you like the site,for any of the reasons above,then why not donate a couple bucks.if it was not for the donations they have already got from members to help support this site then we would probably not be having this conversation now. I will continue to donate every year and support the people and businesses that help this site grow and be maintained.the choice is yours,no-one here is making anyone donate,it is up to the members to take that responsibility.

01-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
This should probably be in the comments and suggestions, but as I don't know how to reach moderators this will have to do.

The other atv forums are falling one by one to hackers and since this is the larger of the forums, it would be a shame to lose it too. Obviously new security will not stop all, but may deter some from trying.

Since I know this costs money to maintain etc there should be more available information on how to support this forum through donations etc - I mean really easy info because I searched a bit and didn't find a clear cut way to donate. Maybe a sticky or forum titled, how to donate or donations received to acknowledge those that do.

I'm sure most people would be willing to donate a min of $1 and easily as much as $5-10 which shouldn't be that much to each person but collectively should add up.

did u post this in atvconnection? cuz i saw sumthin like it

250Renvy
01-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by hetdrunk
did u post this in atvconnection? cuz i saw sumthin like it

Nope, not me. Although with quite a few forums being hacked, all should look into beefier security/structure.

omaits
01-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you honestly think that advertising revenue covers everything, you have a lot to learn about the real world.

All I am saying is...

I don't know if this site is owned by some congolomerate "fat cat" that is sitting back and blowing the money on massages and cuban cigars. By the sounds of what you are saying, I was probably wrong. For that, I apologize.

In either case, I dont think all sites in the "real world" are losing money. I certainly dont think I was out of line to assume it woudl be possible for a site to actually sustain itself from advertising.