PDA

View Full Version : southwick sunday!!

honda416exman
07-06-2002, 09:13 AM
So whos going to be at southwick tomarrow, its going to be an awsome day!!!

2001 300ex #51 this is my 1st year racing so i'm in the 91-300cc
Blue maier race cut 400ex fenders and seat
chrome Lrd full system
choke removed
jeted, k&n air filter
renthal sprockets and chain (14,36)
18in maxxis razors rear
19in itp holeshot mx's
whell spacers
shock covers
pro taper bars
ac nerfs
kill switch
jagg oil cooler
some more **** to

Sick0
07-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Well , I will be there. Number 40 w/ yellow plastic and skin graphics. I will be racing 4 stroke novice C. I think bigbore81(81), and EX80(80) will probly be there to. Hope to see there.

BigBore81
07-06-2002, 08:31 PM
i will be there:-) as always look for me number 81 blue 400ex enclosed trailer that say Crazy8sRacing on it there will be about 6-7 bikes

Ex80 Wil be there also we pit together he is part of Crazy 8s Racing also

muff
07-07-2002, 09:14 PM
hey i was at southwick today it was awesome, first time i've been there, i didnt race but i went up with my parents and a friend and we had a blast, the track looked like it was maintained good throughout the day (keeping it watered) and I thought it was a good setup except for the start

hey sick0 were you the guy that had the two hot girls tongin on the front of your quad?
if so then i saw it, didnt you crash on the holeshot when you ran straight into the berm cause the quad didnt turn, if that was you that must have sucked, you looked pretty pissed :mad:

i saw some pretty sweet quads there, two 250rs were for sale, $8000 and $8500 though, i'm really thinkin about gettin blue maier with the nacs graphics, a few people had it and it looks sweet, i was going to buy some plastic from nacs for 50%, but then i found out it was the old stuff, it didnt seem too bad

Sick0
07-08-2002, 02:51 PM
yup thats was me. Thats had to be the most pathic start ever. First I started in third gear, even though I check it 3 times. And some how I crash with nobody around me on the first turn. I must of look like an idiot. I was about to give up when I seen the leaders coming out of the woods already.
I'm glad I didn't I ended up in 11th place out of 20 that race and 6th for the day.

The table had the perfect lip on it, and it seem like a lot of people in my class didn't want to jump it, so it was a great place to pass people. I think that was the funnest part of the race. I think they should have a lot more jumps on the track.

muff
07-08-2002, 03:12 PM
it didnt look to bad, you like turned the bars but you kept goin straight into the berm wo there wasnt much you could do, plus my friend and i were amazed on how quickly you caught back up, its a good thing you have those graphics it makes it easy to remember people whose quads stick out like that

yeah i think the track could have used some more jumps and maybe some with a lip on them

Sick0
07-08-2002, 03:40 PM
The only thing about the whole thing is if I didn't crash I would of at least got a trophy which is all I wanted. I have bad luck every time I go out. And feel stronger every time I go. Like the prelime, I got a good start and was in the lead pack right behind (81) which is one of the fastest racers in the class he did pull away though from me in the middle of the race. And had this sweet pass in the turn right before the table top, he had left me just enough room to get in and I took it and then pass somebody on the tabletop that didn't jump it that felt real good.

EX 80
07-08-2002, 05:01 PM
The track was BEAT at the end of the day. South with has been like that as long as i have known. I doubt thet will ever add any good jumps. I wish they put the 4 stroke class before the open. My last four stroke class i was beat from the previous open race. Next race I am only racing the 4 stroke class unless they put 4 stroke before open again. Good Old jolly roger is where our next race is. Beautiful track except for "southwick turn". Hope to see you there.

muff
07-08-2002, 05:26 PM
what kind of track is jolly rodjer, my friend said he races their on his cr125 and said he liked it, he said there was one jump that only a few pro dirt bikes jumped, it must be pretty big then

where in new york is it, i'd really like to check out that track too

is there any other tracks other than southwick and jolly?

Sick0
07-08-2002, 06:03 PM
EX80 what happen? I was trying to catch up to the rest of the pack when you let me just pass you. I though may be you got hurt or some thing or was it you where so tired from the last race.

I know what you mean about the track it was horribly. I was getting throw all over the place. I tired me out quick. Plus I though prelims were only 2 laps not 4. I didn't though until the last race, where my are turn into mush. I wish I had though shock you have, My stock shocks suck in all the though whoops.

I was going to race both (fourstroke) and (open) but they had them to close togather so I said screw it.

Sick0
07-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Oh What about jolly roger, whens thats race and where is it. Hows the track lay out. Does it have alot of jumps, is sandy or whoop.

muff
07-08-2002, 06:35 PM
their website is www.jrmoto.com, i went to the picture section but i cant get past the trophy girls page so i wont be able to tell you what the track looks like

it was "the intimidator" that was the huge jump, they have pics of it there too, the jumps crooked and its right out of a corner, and the landing is a giant bolder, he said its impossible on a quad, and that only a few pros jump it

muff
07-08-2002, 06:43 PM
from the pics the track looks like its good, heres one of the better photos

muff
07-08-2002, 06:45 PM
opps...meant one of the track

BigBore81
07-08-2002, 07:24 PM
Southwick was quit the day for me i qualified first and got 1st in the 1st moto and 2nd in the 2nd moto and i also won both moto's in the open class 1st overall in open and 2nd overall in 4 stroke

Soryy to hear about your crash sicko but hey bad luck comes at least once or tgwice to every good racer and beside that this is your first year racing right? If so 6th place is an awsome finish should be very proud of yourself to come back like that after a crash GOOD JOB! Seeya at jolly rogers that personally is my favorite track i can really rip there if the holeshot is smooth and no pile ups :-)

Sick0
07-08-2002, 08:02 PM
I don't care if I crash and have a bad race, But if you seen what happen to me you would of laugh you *****. The gate drops and I stall my quad out because I was in third gear, and if thats was bad enough, I was race up the startline straight and ran right into the burm and flip over my bars and the quad tipped over on to me. It was probly very funny for everybody but me. I laugh about it now.

Yeah bad luck happen every one, I see people crashing in every race and other poeple simple get caught up into and lose postion. I think its more rookie mistakes than bad luck for me. Oh well, I learn alot thing in sunday like how pick smoother lines and how to save energy, and how to corner faster. It was a real good learning experence for me. I just bought a-arms and all most have enough money to buy shocks and an alxe so that should help alot.

Do you guys know (82) how is so fast on a completely stock 400ex. I have to give to him for being so strong on that thing.

EX 80
07-08-2002, 08:57 PM
Sick0- Yes i was beat from previous race and i got the wind knocked out of me in one lap in the woods, Lost control of quad and it threw me off, but got back on as fast as i could. I struggled that last race. I might skip the open class next race depending upon how i feel, need my energy for the 4 stroke class. I want to watch BigBore81 school every too ;) .

Yes number 82 gives him a run for his money. I have no clue how he does it on a completely stock quad (except for nerfs, tether, and bars). He gets my respect first in points on a stock quad. Just goes to show you how much more the rider matters than the quad.

Lasher
07-10-2002, 09:24 AM
I was there. I raced in the 30+ class. I got a really good start and was running in 3rd place for the whole race. Then on the final lap my quad locked up on the camel humps. Had to get towed off the track. Ends up my crank went bad.

Not sure if I will get it repaired in time for Jolly on the 28th. Too bad since I really like Jolly Roger. You can really fly at that track.

muff
07-10-2002, 09:34 AM
hey lasher were the camel humps those two bumps after that table top and a bunch of corners, if that was you then my friend and i saw you too, we thought your piston was siezed cause you couldnt kick it over

isnt the next southwick race not for a long time? let me know if you guys are goin, i'd really like to meet some of you

Lasher
07-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Yes that is the spot and that was me if it was a black 250R with blue one industries graphics kit.

I thought it was a piston as well, but when I took the motor apart on Monday night, it was the crank. It was either the left hand side bearing or the crank itself. Either way I am looking at about $500 + to fix everything.

muff
07-10-2002, 09:49 AM
wow that sucks, $500, you were doin good too

300exHILLER
07-10-2002, 12:55 PM
sunday was the first time I ever raced I have a 300 w/mods in my sig. Well first I was not prepared phyically for that. But I'm pissed at how they setup the races and qualifiers. I ran the 91-300 and 4-stroke novice. They know that people run both those classes but they put all the practices and qualifiers together. I practiced for the 91-300 and right after the 4-stroke novice then right after I had the first qual for the novice then right after the 91-300 1st moto then the 2nd qual for the 4-stroke. WTF is that I ran like 20 laps with no rest what so ever thats BS. As soon as I would finish I just turned left and went back to the starting line. But anyways I on the 1st 91-300 moto I was runing like 15th or so on the last lap cause I couldn't breath anymore I came around the one of the turns and this little kid that was a flagger waving the flag and signaled me to come over so I went there and didn't say anything finally I ask what did you pull me out for? He said it wasn't for you so I ended up 20th. In the second moto I got to the first coner 3rd then someone slammed me in the back and made me stall. Plus I was so tired I couldn't even stand up anymore so I stopped on the final lap. But in the quals I got 11th and 6th in the 4-stroke novice which I don't think that's too bad for being on a 300 and being the first time I ever raced. BTW my # is 6X9 I was the one was at the back all day.

sorry so long but do you guys have any info for me on where to sign up at jolly's I never been there I need to know where to go to start and sign up and all that crap. I wiil be running the rest of the season in 91-300 and a full season next year then I will get a 400 and move up. Thanks in advance.

Lasher
07-10-2002, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear that you had to run so many motos in a row. I can only imagine how tired you must have been.

As for people running the 91-300 and 4 stroke novice, I do not know many people that run both those classes, especially on the same quad. I have only run one class per race day, and do not know (especially at Southwick) how they run more than one moto.

When a flagger waves the yellow flag and signals you to come over, that is supposed to mean, more to that side of the track. So if the flagger tells you to move to the inside, that usually means that a quad or accident is on the outside. I do not remember ever seeing some one pulled off the track in the middle of the race, and if they are going to do that, it would be at the finish line or a track official, not some kid flagging.

As for Jolly, I take it you have never been there before. First some help with the directions. If you are coming up 91 North, take the third (pretty sure it is number 3) exit in VT. The exit will be for Route 9 East towards Keene. When you get off the exit it flows with traffic to the right. About a ¼ mile down is a rotary. You will want to go straight through the rotary as if it was not there. Follow this road for about 10-15 minutes until you just about reach Keene. Right before Keene, there will be a stop light where Route 10 North goes to the left. Take a left there. You will stay on Route 10 North until you reach the track (about 20 minutes or so) but the first couple of miles you need to pay attention. Soon after you take a left off Route 9 at the light, Route 10 will branch off like a highway exit to the right side. It is posted with signs but be on the look out. After the you merge onto another road from the highway exit thing, you will follow this about a couple miles. Then Route 10 will take a left turn at an “T” intersection. Again it is posted, but I have seen too many people blow right past this left and continue straight. After this left turn to follow Route 10 you will travel about 20 minutes down a twisty Route 10. You will come up to the track on the right side. The first entrance is for sign ups and the second (about ¼ mile around the corner) is the pits. I usually head straight to the pits and find a parking spot, then walk across the track to the sign up building. Much easier and I get to see how the track has changed. Which is something that Marco (owner) is famous for.

Be prepared, Jolly is a hard packed (minus the Southwick turn) fast track. I believe he has something like 21 jumps on the track. But 100% you can roll over, and 95% of them are safe and fun to hit. Oh, have fun on the very large cliff drop it is about 4 stories high and you just float down it. And do not worry about the intimidator. No one on a quad even thinks about hitting it. Not Mike Walsh or even Travis Spader when he showed up one year.

300exHILLER
07-10-2002, 01:39 PM
thank you for the info. lasher. I will not stop for anyone again. I 'm hopeing to get a top 5 this year but I just want to run the tracks and get ready for next year.

the track on sunday was real bad i'm still sore form my waste down and I had a tough time walking Monday.

Lasher
07-10-2002, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the world of Southwick. Seperates the men from the boys. Oh, you will not be so sore as you get used to racing and the track. When you (and I did) first started racing, I was holding on tighter than I needed. This cause me to be a lot more sore than I should have been. Also, as you feel more comfortable you will breathe better (and more often) which will help alot. When you are watching the races, watch Mike Walsh. He flies around the track and it looks like he is barely holding on. Because he lets the quad do the work, not try and force the quad.

Pay attention to the flaggers. As I was watching the second half, I say some one attempt a pass on the big sweeper under a yellow flag on the outside where a quad was stuck. As he came around WOT, the other quad got unstuck. Needless to say the medics helped the fool off the track. But you will know it when they are going to pull you off the track.

If you go out there hoping to do well, you will not have fun. Just go out and ride as best you can and try to have fun. Your speed and finish position will come with time. It is better to stay in control and finish the race than push it above your limits and either towed off the track or carried by the medics.

Sick0
07-10-2002, 02:52 PM
Jolly rager sound like a fun race track. The only track Ive ever raced was southwick. I though all race track were bumpy like southwick, and 21 jumps. Whats the biggest jump that quads hit at jolly roger?

Lasher
07-10-2002, 03:07 PM
There is only one corner called the "Southwick Turn" which is all sand. This will bring back nightmares of Southwick later in the day. Other than that, the track is mostly hard packed dirt. If whoops do form they are usually more of a hard edge and in certain spots of the track. Nothing like th repeating whoops of Southwick.

As for the jumps, the scariest is the supercross section. It is a long straight right in front of the resturant where you sign in. The first jump is a set up - table top thing. Not bad early in the day but gets lipped out later on. Then in the middle is a table top. Kinda similar to the one at Southwick, but not as tall and a little more steep. The one thing I do not like about this one is the landing is usually steep. Next is a smaller table top with a long down hill landing. Back a few years, the landing on the last one was steep but recently Marco has made it more forgiven. So pretty much you come out of a tunnel turn (oh, you go over wood bridges and under them) and hit the first table, land get on the gas hit the second (which will send you up), land then hit the last one.

One of my favorite jumps at the track is the set up near the Southwick turn. You come out of a turn for a straight away leading to a jump similar to the gravity cavity at Southwick. But instead of it dropping, it is a set up of about another four feet. Then the landing is the same height as the top of the second lip. Pretty much you just nail the throttle and hit the jump. Fun as all heck.

I love Jolly Rogers. It really bums me out that I might miss this race due to my motor.

Sick0
07-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Whats the "gravity cavity" at southwick. But that track sould like fun to just to ride arould.

Lasher
07-10-2002, 03:25 PM
The jump before the finish line. The one where you come out of the left hand turn near the fence. Then hit the table top and land into the deep hole, climb out for another left towards the finish line straight.

muff
07-10-2002, 05:56 PM
hey lasher where in ct are you?

maybe we could go ridin sometime

Lasher
07-11-2002, 07:40 AM
I am from Plainville CT.

Where do you ride? My quad is not set up for any trail riding, not to mention one rock can cost me hundreds if dollars.

Once I get my quad back together I will need to go riding to break it in. Maybe Uxbridge or Eagle Bridge...

muff
07-11-2002, 07:43 AM
Oh I'm in North Stonington, I'm at the very bottom right corner of the state

muff
07-11-2002, 07:46 AM
and I mainly ride on trails, there is this one track around here tht use to be sweet but no ones gotten a tractor back there in over 2 years its much worse than southwick at the end of the day

redrizza
07-12-2002, 07:53 AM
I had a good time at southwick last weekend. It was my worst finish yet, but, it was still fun :) Check out my webpage for some pics. WWW.CVBOYZ.COM (http://www.cvboyz.com)