PDA

View Full Version : caution note on the houser steering stems.

Prey
01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I have just installed 2 houser steering stems on my 04 and 06 450R and wanted to pass this information on

the Outside Diameter (OD) of the houser stem is less than the OD of the oem stem except at the top mount for the stem (houser increased the diameter here so it will fit in the OEM clamp).

It does fit the bike well.........but.......

the clamp for the dampner no longer fits on the stem, if you have or get a houser steering stem and have or get a dampner you will need another clamp for the dampner (I will post a part # here when i get one)

the OD of the OEM stem is 1.346" or 34.19mm

the houser stem is 1.262" or 32.05mm

this does not apply to the handlebar clamp mounted stabalizers such as the scotts, or gpr's, but you will want to talk to houser about those as they indicated they sold another piece of hardware to properly mount those type units.

speedfreaksguy
01-10-2006, 01:05 PM
The new stem should be the same OD as the 400EX and 250R. I know the clamp from a 400EX dampner will work.

TBD
01-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by speedfreaksguy
The new stem should be the same OD as the 400EX and 250R. I know the clamp from a 400EX dampner will work.
No it's not. The TRX250 and 400EX stems are 1.125" and the Houser stem is 1.250". You would need to use a clamp designed for a Yamaha stem which is also 1.250".

Prey
01-10-2006, 01:27 PM
the 250R stem is 1.132" or 28.77mm, little small

does anyone have calipers they can measure a 400ex stem with??

Prey
01-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by TBD
No it's not. The TRX250 and 400EX stems are 1.125" and the Houser stem is 1.250". You would need to use a clamp designed for a Yamaha stem which is also 1.250".

I was typing when you posted this man, thanks a lot for the info (maybe my calipers are off by just a touch or maybe the # you posted was without finish)

anyhow, thanks a lot man

Prey
01-10-2006, 01:35 PM
also TBD, for ordering purposes, is 1.250 a yamaha standard or is it specific to one of the yamaha machines?

TBD
01-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Prey
also TBD, for ordering purposes, is 1.250 a yamaha standard or is it specific to one of the yamaha machines?

It's a Yamaha standard. Maybe I should say that the Banshee, Raptor, and Yfz are 1.250". Those are the only ones that I have built stems for. Your right, the measurement I gave is without a finish. I'm always working with raw material when I build them so I don't ever consider the thickness of the finish.

Prey
01-10-2006, 01:56 PM
i appreciate your info man.........

i was kinda in a rage when i got the stem figured this out and know that houser has no kinda note on this on their website, when i called........the were supposedly unaware of this issue :rolleyes: according to the individual i spoke with

TBD
01-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Prey
i appreciate your info man.........

i was kinda in a rage when i got the stem figured this out and know that houser has no kinda note on this on their website, when i called........the were supposedly unaware of this issue :rolleyes: according to the individual i spoke with

I can understand your fustration. I build my stems the same way.

speedfreaksguy
01-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to post inaccurate info. The stem I use is also a smaller diameter than the stock 450R. I was able to use a 400EX dampner on mine. I assumed this was the case with your as well. Anyway... glad you got it figured out.

Prey
01-10-2006, 02:32 PM
is no biggie man ;) we got it straightened out

WhiteZee
01-10-2006, 06:24 PM
yeah its at PITA. i tired a clamp from a 400ex and its way to small. i ended up just buying a precison, and they had to send me the yammaha clamp for it to work.

Prey
01-10-2006, 06:42 PM
^^^, right........i talked to denton, thats what they are doing for me as well..........they wont have any in til next week though.

I will post a prt # when i finally get it ordered

Smoker
01-10-2006, 07:31 PM
I put a WER on mine, I was aware of the tubing difference before I bought the Houser, it was no bog deal, just take a piece of sand paper, lay it on the ground and take some of the material off of both sides. I know the frustration of paying big money for stuff and it doesn't fit as it should. I'm not sure if I've just had bad luck with things I've bought in the past but some of the things I put on my bike needed modified to fit, I'm pleasantly surprised when things go as they should since I don't expect it anymore. I make sure I always give the manufacturers feedback though...

Prey
01-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Smoker
I put a WER on mine, I was aware of the tubing difference before I bought the Houser, it was no bog deal, just take a piece of sand paper, lay it on the ground and take some of the material off of both sides. I know the frustration of paying big money for stuff and it doesn't fit as it should. I'm not sure if I've just had bad luck with things I've bought in the past but some of the things I put on my bike needed modified to fit, I'm pleasantly surprised when things go as they should since I don't expect it anymore. I make sure I always give the manufacturers feedback though...

i have a wer on order for my 06, corrected the order today, they are sending the right clamp