PDA

View Full Version : How to grease bearing carrier with grease zerk??

RoostinOna400ex
07-06-2002, 09:00 AM
I want to put a grease zerk on my bearing carrier because my bearing went out and I want to help this from happening so easily so does anybody know how to put a grease zerk in the carrier?? If so how and do you have any pics? I have heard of people doing it but I dont know how? Thanks RYan :confused:

Ex'r Marlin
07-06-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by RoostinOna400ex
I want to put a grease zerk on my bearing carrier because my bearing went out and I want to help this from happening so easily so does anybody know how to put a grease zerk in the carrier?? I have heard of people doing it but I dont know how?:confused: I could be wrong, but I understand that the stock axle carrier bearings are sealed, meaning having a grease zerk and grease in put in your carrier would not help the bearings.

Note: I know that most, if not all, aftermarket axle carriers has the grease zerk to apply grease to the bearings that are designed to take the grease.

Pappy
07-07-2002, 01:20 AM
hey marlin....you are gettin good at these questions....they givin you the right meds over there? lol!!!

phatswinn
07-08-2002, 05:46 PM
or you could take the seal from the inside of the bearing then put a zerk in there, that way the grease would get in the bearing but the outside would be sealed

RoostinOna400ex
07-08-2002, 06:01 PM
o its cool i bought a brand new billet carrier with a zerk on it from Herrmannracing.com

toby400ex
07-08-2002, 11:56 PM
i got a new billet carrier and was excited to see the grease zerk but then i relized i would have to drill a whole in the swingarm. Even if you do drill a whole you have to turn the carrier to aline the zerk and the whole.

TRX250R87
07-09-2002, 02:36 PM
All you have to do is remove the carrier and axle as a whole after removing the loc nut. Pump grease into the zerk till it comes out each seal area. Wipe the excess grease off and reinstall. Do this 2-3 times a year, maybe more if you are into riding in water.
ERIC

airheadedduner
07-09-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by TRX250R87
All you have to do is remove the carrier and axle as a whole after removing the loc nut. Pump grease into the zerk till it comes out each seal area. Wipe the excess grease off and reinstall. Do this 2-3 times a year, maybe more if you are into riding in water.
ERIC

Or skipping across it:D :D

07-09-2002, 02:58 PM
This subject has been brought up many times and with a stock carrier it's not really possible and worth the effort. If you were to put it on the side of the carrier and not in the middle you have to drill a hole in the shape of an L to get the grease into the bearings,,,what it boils down to is your gonna be taking a risk of trashing your stock carrier in the process and you'll end up buyin and aftermarket anyway..:eek: IF someone does come up with a better and reliable way of doing it,,please let us know..:D

400exRacerX
07-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Your still runnin a stock carrier rico?

07-09-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Your still runnin a stock carrier rico?

Yup,,,but I don't see it lasting much longer...there's no play in it and I've greased it up pretty good over the last year and a half especially since I've had to pull the axle out of that thing a dozen times..:rolleyes: Hopefully santy clause will bring me a new RPM millinium carrier for christmas..:D

400exRacerX
07-09-2002, 03:14 PM
I have noticed that you havent been treatin the 416 to new parts lately like you used too. Maybe your beer funds have taken over the 416's funds???:eek:

07-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Well believe me norm she's gettin neglected alright..:( After buyin a house,,i got a truck getting the motor rebuilt along with everything else under the hood,,and my girlfiend just took a new job with a pay cut,,my finances have been cut to nothing,,but good things to come this winter though,,I'm slowly puttin money in the piggy bank for lots O new stuff later in the year..she's gonna be perty come spring time..:D Oh and my beer drinkin has been neglected too..:( :(

400exRacerX
07-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Darn rico, you got it harsh. I'll have to send a case of beer down to kentucky long with a shiny new axle carrier.;)

phatswinn
07-10-2002, 10:32 AM
ohhh the pain mine been neglected too send me a new axle carrier tooo ( and send the beer wen im 21:D