PDA

View Full Version : ATV genaral info req !!!

Blackbird
01-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi after having a ride on a ATV for the first time last weekend and loved it what a toy!!!!! I have a few questions for you guys what are they like to run as in $$$$ i have owned a few dirt bikes DRZ"S & KTM"S do they roughly req the same maintanance? the ATV i rode was a Suzuki LT 400 and one thing that noticed that the axles look very exposed how easy are they to damage? and do they require a lot of abuse to get bent/damaged? any info at all would be great.

01-10-2006, 09:28 AM
i had a 1997 300ex and just put the first axle on it in november.

it all depends on what you plan on doing with it...if you leave it mostly stock and only trial ride, then normal maintenance is all.

by normal maintenance, i mean oil change, chain lube(if you get a chain drive), clean the air filter, brake replacement, etc...

if you race and bore and stroke the motor, then you will be into occasional rebuilds to keep the optimum power of that motor, along with the normal maintenance.

things break, i am sure you know this form having bike. if you go out and ride balls to the wall and just don't care, then chances are you are gonna break something...

if you are a little careful, things will last for a long time...

it can get expensive if you want to upgrade for better performance and durability...aftermarket parts are abundant and of course stronger than stock.

troutman561
01-10-2006, 10:09 AM
as far as price range if u stay 400cc and up and u buy new ur gona spend anywhere from low 5's to 7000 depending if u get the 450's, and raptor 700, anything new, its gona be about thsoe prices

Rip_Tear
01-10-2006, 10:31 AM
They are fairly cheap to run though, good on fuel, oil doesn't cost that much, oil filters are pretty cheap, all the lubes are cheap for that matter. The only thing that you replace often is the oil filter. You can run them stock for a long time with out replacing anything, may need to buy bigger/more skid plates and tires depending on how you ride. My stock tires lasted pretty much 4 years, which is almost crazy.