PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Rev CDI Boxes?

4LEAFCLOVER
01-10-2006, 07:29 AM
1. I'm trying to figure out which aftermarket rev box to get. I know everyone is saying either a Vortex or DynaTek but both of those are at least $300 brand new. And I'm wondering what's the big deal between those two costing so much when others like a Big Gun, ESR, Punisher, or Janssen Racing CDI's are in the $100-$200 range. Are the Vortex and DynaTek that much better or is it just the name. Will I get the same performance out of one of the other ones as I will get out of the Vortex or Dyna? I just want a aftermarket CDI that's not going to mess something up but will extend out my RPM's. I'm not a die hard MX racer or anything like that. I just ride occasionally on the weekends and drag race friends for fun.

2. And upon me getting which ever aftermarket Rev CDI Box I choose to get, where is the actual CDI switch located on the 450R so I can switch it out myself? Thanks for the help.

desratt
01-11-2006, 06:03 PM
dyna and vortex are ignitions. they have changed everything the spark advance in about 10 different rpms and at different throttle positions. they have multiple curves to choose from on the fly. also have extra out puts for say a rpm gauge nos hook up a launch(drag) rev limiter. kill switch hook up. and are programable to change different settings. above just raising the rev limit.

a rev box just raises the rev limit.

now from all that you might not see a big hp gain but how fast it can gain the rpm's

I have both the dyna and vortex and prefer the dyna

Vader
01-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Programmable Dyna's are around $350. Or go with the new, non-programmable Dyna in the $200 range. I would not buy one of those cheap $100 rev boxes.

MAD450r
01-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Does the non programmable do all the same things but not allow to program new limits or stuff, or is the cheaper on not have the 10 presets ?

desratt
01-12-2006, 05:51 PM
the dyna's have 4 curves to choose from( which is plenty I rarely use any curve other then 4 )
if you are not a very serious tuner then I wouldn't bother much with getting a programable tunner.