PDA

View Full Version : Chain question continued

kane47
01-10-2006, 07:17 AM
I know this is a retarded question, but how do you check the play in the chain?
I have heard someone say that you should be able to squeeze three fingers between the chain and swingarm just behind the slider? Is this correct, or is it two fingers?

ckasper18
01-10-2006, 07:33 AM
I sit on the quad and with the suspension compressed i make sure to have 1/4 to 1/2 inch play in the chain.I just wiggle the chain up and down it wil be much looser when you are not sitting on the quad but thats my method and it works awesome never tossed a chain yet...........

kane47
01-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a good method.
I will put it to use.

Anyone ever heard of the three finger test?

speedfreaksguy
01-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by ckasper18
it wil be much looser when you are not sitting on the quad

Thats not true with the TRX 450R. The chain gets loose when the suspension is compressed and it gets tighter when the spring is relaxed. Try it and see for yourself. I have found with my TRX the chain needs to be adjusted tighter than with most MX bikes and quads. The service manual says 1 1/4 to 1 9/16 of slack midway between the sprockets.

Shawn H
01-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Proper chain adjustment (http://www.gtthunder.com/TRX450R/450RChainAdj.htm)

Gt Thunder web site has the proper way to adjust the chain. :cool:

MAD450r
01-10-2006, 11:02 AM
If you run your chain too tight you'll shorten the life of both the chain and sprokets
I use the sit on your r method myself and have since I had my first 3 wheeler. Never had a bad chain or sproket due to me over tightening it. As many of my friends have since they didnt beleive me on my method till it was too late.

speedfreaksguy
01-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Leaving it too loose will also shorten the life of you components, and maybe shorten the life of your left case half. ;)

MAD450r
01-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Is from keeping it too tight.

Maybe you've have different expiences than I have but I know I fixed a friends predator and polaris scramber cause he use to over tighten it all the time.

he didn't believe me that he needed mroe slack in the chain since he jumps alot.

Shawn H
01-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Did you read the link?

Compress the suspension to 17"(just about the same as you sitting on it) and then adjust for 10lbs of pressure(not that much) for a 1/2" deflection.

BTW:I do the sit on your bike method 2 but his method is very easy to do by yourself and I think he knows what he is doing!

Whens the Last time Johnny G broke or derailed a chain(NEVER) and this is the way Laz Preps his Quad.

If your chain is too loose it can come off if you jump alot too