PDA

View Full Version : 416ex bore size

EXSailor
01-10-2006, 05:27 AM
Quick question, I am taking my 99 400ex to 416 and i'm doing the work myself for the most part. My dilema comes into play that i'm having a machinist I know bore my sleeve for me for free. Problem is, he's an aviation machinist, not an engine machinist. He is very experienced, but he needs exact measurements to do the job. I'm putting a JE piston in it, so, if the piston is an 87mm bore, what diameter do I tell the Machinist to bore the sleeve to? I know I have to hone the sleeve, but what should the end diameter be? Are there any tricks I should know before starting, Is there anything i'm missing? Any help would be great, as I am mechanically sound, but far from perfect, not to mention, I have never done anything like this before. Thanks for any help given, I hope the end result ends well........ we'll see.

sickmojave
01-10-2006, 05:49 AM
get the piston first so you have something to take the measurements from ;)

bradley300
01-10-2006, 07:40 AM
its 80 thousandths of an inch bigger than the stock bore;)

aviator4
01-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Clearance specs for the JE 416 piston is 20 thousands, but like was posted earler, you need to have the piston in hand before you bore the cylinder. It must be precise!!

Also, make sure you're ring gaps are set to spec as well.

EXSailor
01-10-2006, 10:52 AM
OK, so far so good, order the piston, end sleeve diameter is 0.0080 of an inch over stock, piston to sleeve wall clearance is 0.0020 of an inch.... what about ring gap? will there be info that comes with the piston, or will I have to contact JE for this info? at the bottom of the sleeve on the inside, the wall tapers out, do I need to compensate the new bore and put that in again? Thanks to everyone so far for your help. Anyone else got some tips or tricks i'd appreciate it. Thanks again

Colby@C&DRacing
01-10-2006, 11:11 AM
everything you need to know will come in the piston box

EXSailor
01-10-2006, 04:59 PM
thanks again for everyone's help, I just ordered my piston and gasket kit from C&D, can't wait to put it in rip my buddies z-400 to shreds, not to mention finally wake up my ex. anyone else who reads this, if you got a tip for me, throw it in, I need all the help I can get.

DaleJrFan
01-10-2006, 05:52 PM
do you have any other mods like a air filter,pipe, and cam? those combinations plus your piston will for sure do the trick, and throw in a cdi box, you will have a nice motor then.

where are you stationed at? i am currently at tinker in okc, i was just curious.

steve

EXSailor
01-10-2006, 06:32 PM
DaleJRfan, as far as the motor goes, currently I have a white brothers E-series slip on silencer (no head pipe yet), stage 2 hot cam, ported and polished head, k&n air filter with no airbox lid, and a k&n jet kit with a 143 main jet. ought to do well if the new piston work comes out OK. right now i'm stationed at Naval Air Station Atlanta, we share the runway with Dobbins Air Reserve base. How do you like it out at Tinker, any good riding spots out there in Ok. city? Sure as heck are'nt many here, but I make due with what I got. Just gettin anxious about the newest mod...... real anxious.

EXSailor
01-10-2006, 06:39 PM
hey dalejrfan, would you recommend the cdi box? Noticeable diference? Anyone else recommend it? I am definately considering it, since it's a cheap mod and real easy to do.

DaleJrFan
01-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah, a cdi would help out the higher rpms. Get a GT thunder, I hear they are the best around.

I love it here at Tinker. There are tons of riding here on all types of terrain. I had never rode the dunes untill I got stationed here and now I am hooked, we go all the time. Go to atvpathfinder.com and they have alot of places listed to ride there.

EXSailor
01-11-2006, 04:55 AM
thanks for the info dalejrfan, i'll look into the cdi box, and that website pretty good, I had no idea there were so many riding spots in GA. can't wait to get out and rip it up