PDA

View Full Version : woods racing set up help please

atvdude
01-10-2006, 01:38 AM
I finally got the cash and will be purchasing a 06 450ER. Yahoo!!!! Now i what to race the WNYOA curcuit harescrambles this year. any tips on what i should do to the R before racing. i know the basics because i raced a 250r a couple of years. any tips on the 06 R that would be helpfull. of coarse like most i am on a limited budget with a wife and 2 kids. What might work best for everyone in the woods that will get them in front through out the year? I am over 200lbs is there a differant tire size for the heavier rider that would be to my benefit? is twist throttle a better option on the 450r? Are there fairly inexpensive a-arms that accept stock shocks to get me started instead of buying expensive shocks? do i go plus 1 wide or no?? how can i lower the center of gravity being that it is a little tippy. i wish the honda had the yammys stance. well any help would be much appreciated as i need to start saving to get some goodies before race day starts.

ajr400ex
01-10-2006, 09:11 AM
I am running an '04 450r in the SOCCS and GNCC's. You can be competitive with the bike in stock trim, adjusting the rebound, compression, and lowering the ride height.

I would recommend:

GTT link and revalve rear shock
Skid Plates -PRM, modify swingarm skid for link
+1 1/4 Swingarm on '04/'05 - not necessary on the '06
Nerf Bars - I use X-Factor
Stock A-arms - hold up to XC pretty good
4:1 offset front rims
Steering Stabilizer - I use Denton to keep the cost down
Front Shocks - revalve or aftermarket. I use Elkas, revalved and resprung by GTT
I am running the HRC kit with the stock exhaust/HRC endcap, Rekluse clutch, Hinson Clutch Basket, and different sprockets
6 ply tires - I used the stock tires until I destroyed one - lasted about 4 races.

Prey
01-10-2006, 10:37 AM
only thing i would say is this.....

if you leave stock a-arms and go to a 4/1 rim, it will reduce the front width to a little over 43.5" thus making the bike more tippy

Z-135
01-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Have your shocks rebuild if you don't have the cash for some new ones. You need to work on your shock before you do anything. Don't put any money into a pipe until that is done. You can take the baffle out, open up the air box and re-jet. That will not cost you much. As far as tire, I would go with the 6ply tire like ITP Hole Shots(21-7-10 FT and 20-11-9 rear). A +1 a-arm works great for hare scrambles. The stock Honda front rims are very close to a 4 to 1 offset (I no Honda say they are 3 to 2). But if you buy front rims go with the 4 to 1 offset with a plus 1 a-arm.

450robot
01-10-2006, 11:24 AM
if your gonna do woods racing, keep your stock arms, unless your going long travel... there is no need to waste 600 on aftermarket arms that are only an inch longer. just put that money towards a good set of shocks that work with you stock arms, it will work much, much better than if you had stock shocks and aftermarket arms

300exHILLER
01-10-2006, 12:09 PM
1.Skids
2.Tires 6-ply
3.steering damper
4.shocks (EKLAs or modify stock ones)
5.modify stock exhaust, air box, rejet
6.Flexx Bars
7.anti-vibe stem
8.better tie rods
9.beadlocks
10.Cam and Pipe
That should take care of your $$$$$ for a while after that come back here and we will spend more of your money for you:D
J/K

Prey
01-10-2006, 12:22 PM
oem rims are approximately 3.25" x 1.75", going to a true 4/1 rim such as a shamrock or hiper will reduce your width by 1.5"

and before you revalve your shocks or buy new ones, you should make a decision about what you are going to do with the chassis, whether it stays stock or you are going with aftermarket components these are things that need to be taken into account while valving the shocks. if you have your shocks valved for stock and switch a-arms and or extend them, the shocks will need to be valved again to be right for the setup

Prey
01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
call one of th sponsors on here that does the shocks, they can give you a list of the things they will want to know about your bike so they can properly set up shocks for it.

chad cavagnaro
01-10-2006, 01:32 PM
i don't know how the other 06 er owners are doing with dead engine starts with they're 06's but i'm having all kinds of trouble.
i even talked a friend into buying an 05 over the new 06 because two other poeple in our series is having the same prob.
there is a lot of forums in the site that talk about the problem, but no definite fix yet. i would consider an 05 if i could do it all over again. you can do suspension, rims all kinds xc mods, but if ur still on the line tryin to start it makes it a hole lot harder to catch up. if i was a heavy guy, i would consider the new rapter because it is set up for more weight and has the extra c.c's for the extra l.b.'s. just my 2 cents. :confused:

chad cavagnaro
01-10-2006, 02:19 PM
prey, are you having prob.s with trying to dead engine start off the line?

Prey
01-10-2006, 02:26 PM
absolutely........... not only us............everyone, i have been talking to one of the gncc pros, and one of the gnc mech's and it appears no one has a solution, i am supposed to call that mech back this week to see what he has found out.

a lot of ppl who know a whole lot more about it than i do think its carburation..........

im just one dumb guy who thinks its electrical/electronic, ill keep you guys posted on if someone i know figures out how to start under throttle

300exHILLER
01-10-2006, 02:36 PM
I have a solution!!!! An 06 kick-R. All the benefits of the motor and chassis no E-start problems. I might pick up a 06 kick-R???????

Prey
01-10-2006, 02:41 PM
thats not gonna solve under throttle starting issues unless its the lack of a hot start circuit creating the issues with the 450ERs

chad cavagnaro
01-10-2006, 03:21 PM
my thoughts exactly, hell, as far as i know, noone has a kicker yet.and the thing is if it takes 3 revolutions for the er to start...how do you think it's gonna go for a kicker. as far as we know maybe that has something to do with the late release, maybe they are ironing out the bugs!! i don't see how there is a problem with e. start and not with the kicker. its a totaly different set up than 04, 05 so maybe the kick is not going to be the answer to the er start probs. only time will tell!!:confused:

ajr400ex
01-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I struggled with the '04 on the starts too the first season until it had 30+ hours on it or so. As it broke in, it became mush easier to start. This year, I have had some good starts (holeshot @ the Ironman).

I didn't realize the electric start was having that many issues starting - good to know.

As far as width, yes the 4:1 rims make it slightly more narrow, but lowering the ride height to 7.5-8" offsets this. It steers much better with the 4:1 rims and new tie rod ends in my opinion.

After having the kicker, I would go for the '06 with the kicker.

Have fun spending that money :devil:

Prey
01-10-2006, 03:38 PM
hey bro, wanted to let you know, if my bike is warm and i DONT touch the throttle, it will fire in less than 1/2 a second......its pretty close to immediate unless its in gear.

if your bike is stock and for your info...........the jetting is jacked from the factory.........way too lean to get the green sticker, changing the jetting will make all the difference in the world starting (without using the throttle)

the other thing is....................if the 06 450R doesnt see the issues the 450ER is seeing, we will know for just about sure its the lack of a hot start circuit in the carb. easily corrected with some $$$

Prey
01-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by ajr400ex
As far as width, yes the 4:1 rims make it slightly more narrow, but lowering the ride height to 7.5-8" offsets this. It steers much better with the 4:1 rims and new tie rod ends in my opinion.

i dont disagree with this at all, but generally when you go to a 4/1, you are either going +3 mx to give you 50" or +1 to put you around 46"

chad cavagnaro
01-10-2006, 03:51 PM
yea, mine is the same, but were my problem lies...beside the excitement at the start and i hasily accidently prematurely hit that t-throt....is...accidently stalling on the trail and hastily starting and t-throttle at same time, then going woops..gotta get off the throttle then it takes about 15 seconds to clear itself out and finaly start. oooohhh it pisses me off!!! my yfz had some falts but would start at a snap!!:mad: :grr:
i have an hrc kit; thought it would help...nope 45pilot, 185 main
2&3/4 turn f/a mix screw. does that sound about write at no more than 2000 ft elev.?

Dave400ex
01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
I asked Mark Baldwin about the slow starting issue and about not being able to give it throttle, and he said he was working on it. I plan to call him in a few months when I pick up mine.

Here's my list of stuff I plan on doing when I get it.

Houser +.25 LT A-Arms
Houser +1 Stem
Elka Quadrate Comp./Reb. Adjust Front Shocks
Elka Dual Rate Dual Adjust Rear Shock
Elka Rear Linkage
RAD Locknut
Precision Racing Steering Stabilizer
AC Front Bumper
AC Grab Bar
Pro Armor Kick-Ups for Pegs
PRM .190 Full Chassis Skid
PRM .250 Z-Plate Swingarm Skid
HMF Full Pipe
UNI Filters
HMF Adjustable Needle
EHS Racing Lid
Boyesen Quickshot
Spider Grips
Pro Design Kill Switch
Streamline Brake Lines
Baldwin Case Saver
Baldwin Parking Brake Block Off
Maier Front Hood
RTC Clutch Lever
Flexx Bars

XCRACER26
01-10-2006, 05:14 PM
I my opinon now I'm glad I didnt get the 06 because I have rolled my 05 two time into a crick during a race and the water was two feet deep. fired on the second kick. she was still runing great when I took it to get reworked, after this race season.

atvdude
01-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Geeze i didnt need to hear that. One of the reasons i wanted an 06 so bad was due to the fact it would be better on starts than a kicker. at the harescrambles they allow you to warm up your engine before the dead engine start. will this help? I thought it would be like a 400ex and be flawless????? Will having my shocks redone lower my center of gravity? does the 06 need that extra linkage arm on the rear shock like the 04/05s? I am having an HRC kit installed before i pick it up. Probably all the more reason to get my shocks redone with 50 HP at the rear wheel? Any more Woods set up tips for the 06 450er? what kind of hand gaurds do most use? does anyone use the boyesen quickshot carb pump cover? beneficial for woods? whats the best steering damper for the money? Any help or more tips would be appreciated as i am making a list of things to buy for my 06 for woods racing.

Z-135
01-11-2006, 05:11 AM
I would go with the Hotcam stage 1 for hare scrambles. Denton damper (not the one you can rebuild).

XCRACER26
01-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Not saying the electric is bad but you cant beat anykickstart quad on the line, but in the woods electric would make all the difference. That would be the reason I would buy a electric.

h-bomb450R
01-11-2006, 07:06 PM
the 06 spindles are more for motocross...and make the bike extremely tippy and hard to control in the woods at high speeds. If you get the 06 i would say just put 05 spindels on it.. and get a triple rate spring kit for your shocks and possibly revalved....

Austin

mike nash
01-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Get a dampner tires and a kill switch and skids. Go out and have fun! winning is good too. If your rolling in cash buy the 1000.00 LT a-arms, 2500.00 shocks, 600-800.00 swingarm, 300.00 stem etc. etc. etc.

Dave400ex
01-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by XCRACER26
Not saying the electric is bad but you cant beat anykickstart quad on the line, but in the woods electric would make all the difference. That would be the reason I would buy a electric.

Tell Ballance that! How many did he holeshot this year on his E-start? He does have a bigger battery though I believe...

XCRACER26
01-11-2006, 09:10 PM
yeah that doesnt count Im talking the average joe not a full factory backed quad. he runs a different battery and stuff like that anywaz to get it to start that fast. but notice in allmost all races borich is within 3 feet of him.

Dave400ex
01-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah it goes both ways. I say both are pretty much equal, but if the kicker doesn't start the first kick, then the electric guys will be gone.

I think most are thinking that the electric is just all around problems, but really, there are no complaints of it not starting, just starting slow, and not being able to give it gas. It really only effects us XC racers...

atvdude
01-12-2006, 10:54 PM
I thought it would be like a 400ex? but no? is the yammy the same way or is that a hit the button and go bike?

h-bomb450R
01-15-2006, 01:28 AM
the yammy is a hit the button and go bike....until it screws up...