PDA

View Full Version : wd-40 rusts?or prevents.

rookiex
01-09-2006, 10:36 PM
I spray my quad down frame an everything accept the seat an what not. with wd-40 someone told me it will make it rust out? true or not?

pastfast125
01-09-2006, 11:57 PM
what?!:huh If I'm not mistaken, doesn't wd-40 PREVENT rust? People even suggest putting it on bare metal parts to keep them from rusting.

Honda
01-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Use Pam cooking spray instead! ;)

Trust me! WD 40 is way to thin, evaporates to quickly and i heard it was water based?

Not sure on the last part.........

PAM!

Protects All Materials....lol

prepracing
01-10-2006, 01:36 AM
water displacement test - 40 :aka WD-40, yes if applied to bare metal and left alone overtime it will cause rust. It will rust chains,axles are the main to things I have seen. I knew someone that coated theirs down with WD-40 and stored it about 6months and got it out and the axle and chain were completely covered with rust. Then after this same person cleaned his muzzleloader and coated the inside of the barrel with WD-40, next season got it back out and inside of barrell was completley covered with rust and had actually started to cause pits ! Some people never learn. But if its just something you do before every ride and then it gets washed I don't think it would cause a problem.

ak_stick
01-10-2006, 03:46 AM
if you spray it, and leave it for a long time it will rust. Everything will, PAM, Hydrualic Fluid, Gun oil, ect, it will all rust over time. But if you spray it down every now and then, it will be fine.

rookiex
01-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Like I ride ALLOT and everytime I finish I dont care how late it is.My bike gets a full power wash down. then wd-40 so it doesnt sit for more than a few days at most. So is that fine?I dont want it rusting up my housers an axis coats ya know.I paid allot for that stuff.

jwick07
01-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Heck I was told powerwashing is not good to do either. Bad for seals

jwick07
01-10-2006, 10:38 AM
oh try a teflon(sp?) spray maybe like Tri-Flow

Flynbryan19
01-10-2006, 11:02 AM
WD-40 is fine. Its a water displacement. I use it all the time. Your not hurting a thing.

ak_stick
01-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah, you can get totaly anal about it, power washing is bad, you can force water past seals if you do it too close, or at too high a pressure, blowing water up a tail pipe can force it down into the cylinder if you do it too much, take paint off. Cleaning chemicals can eat O-rings, and gaskets, ect.....

In reality, as long as you use most stuff in a smart manner, dont pressure washe .3 inches from the seals, or bearings, dont leave WD-40 or anything else on for long periods of time, ect, you wont have any problems.

RRP
01-10-2006, 03:36 PM
I use 100% silicone.But if you ride on a regular basis and wash regularly,respray you should have any problems.If you are going for long term storage use grease on everything that might rust it'll last longer than spray on oils.

rookiex
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
^^^^

Thats what im thinkin too. I dont sit there an hold the power washer right up aginst the shocks full blast in a lazer beam type of spray.lol.

I keep the power washer moving in a thick covering but yet powerful spray.

tinner
01-12-2006, 01:46 PM
WD-40 is actually good to use on aluminum. I have seen it used on Snowmobile engines when stored. Keeps them from from getting the pitting or white flake that the bare cast aluminum cylinders get. Keeps that looking new.

FoxRacing81
01-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Powerwashing is fine. Like said before, just don't hold it straight at seals or bearings.

I powerwash mine with water and Simple Green. Next, I coat engine, frame, bumpers, nerfs, pegs, pipe, chain, swingarm, a arms, etc with WD-40. I then coat my plastics with Armor All.

Never ever had any problem doing it this way, so I plan to continue.

-Justin

TheFontMaster
01-14-2006, 12:20 PM
I always used WD-40 to grease the chain on my quad, and never had a problem with using it.

luvmyex
01-14-2006, 06:53 PM
first i heard of it causing rust. And if ya think its water based put a flame up to it when you spray it out:devil:

yokeracer
01-16-2006, 07:18 AM
On my automobiles, I use the oil that I have taken out the engine after an oil change. Learned this from an old autoshop teacher. Use the used burnt oil, all the acids are burned out of it. Put it in a spayer, spray down the entire car, inside out (not interior). Water just doesn't even bother:D . So there is an alternative to WD-40( which I love too:D ), if you so wish to use it. I just changed my bike's oil, and it's sittin in a lil bucket waiting to get sprayed on the bike, since it's there and all:cool: