PDA

View Full Version : Bladwin

rookiex
01-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Im thinking about sending my motor to baldwin before spring comes.

High compression piston, port polish...What else you guys think would be good.

Im going to be racing production C this year.

CdaleXtreme
01-09-2006, 10:51 PM
You can bet it will be done right. But you will pay dearly for every pony you gain

johnexrider
01-10-2006, 04:59 AM
you had better send it in soon if you want it back before spring. mine was up there before christmas, the time frame i was given was around the first of february for getting it back. if you have questions regarding what to have done mark is the best one to talk too.

Hondacrf15
01-10-2006, 06:26 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Same here. Spoke to Mark this past week. Mid February ETA for a motor dropped off in Dec. I counted 20-25 motors in boxs/crates/tubs in the shop last time there.

You will get one hell of a motor tho. :)

Lonestar_R
01-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Are they in North Kingsville or in Astabula......

Hondacrf15
01-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Noth Kingsville, Ohio. Right off rt 193N.

Airik79mx
01-10-2006, 09:17 AM
If you don't mind the money and the wait the quality and power is top notch...I never had one problem with mine.

TWISTED
01-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Mark is the man!!!

rookiex
01-10-2006, 10:26 AM
what would 3800 dollars do for me?

rookiex
01-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Id also like to get a crank in it too.

Id think 3800 in the motor alone will get me a pretty quick set up.

walker054
01-10-2006, 10:38 AM
If you want to get just as good of a motor with less waiting, try Hetrick Racing, I should be getting mine back this week, dropped it off the end of Dec. Either place you will be happy with.

eastside 400
01-10-2006, 01:34 PM
i dropped mine off at baldwin the tuesday after x-mas and he told me 4 weeks. so im not sure about the really huge wait time, hopefully its not mid feb.

xx3003xrdrxx
01-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Porting is 400 dollars , the price of the piston off of him , Im not sure but i think shop labor fee is 45 dollars an hour. You might as well get his mx cam while your there. Go with the 14 to 1 piston.

dober250R
01-10-2006, 03:27 PM
i'm not a fan of baldwin's high compression piston due to the fact that it only has 2 piston rings!!! Last time I checked, 4-strokes need an oil control ring on the bottom.............:ermm:

xx3003xrdrxx
01-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Theres obviously some thinking behind that , hes the probably the best engnine builder of our time and YOU are correcting his work ?? :rolleyes:

rookiex
01-10-2006, 03:44 PM
So 1500 will get me a good build engine ready for the nationals. 1500-2000 dollars.

I really want to get stronger bearing in the crank I heard the 05 crank bearings are soft and cheap. You all think mark could fix that for a small fee?

Lonestar_R
01-10-2006, 03:46 PM
the CRF450 dirt Bike motor is a 2 ring piston....and last I checked it is still a 4 stroke......they just don't have the reliablity of the 3 ring piston......meaning they need rebuilt more often.....

rookiex
01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
I called mark a second ago.

1100 for the piston rings port polish bladwin cam ect ect.
500 for the new crank tear down work ect
685 for the FCR carb set up for the pipe an motor

2285.00 I will be spending.

I asked him for a national ready motor an he gave me the no b.s deal he said it will run with the best.

But its got to be done.

My motor comes out this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!To mark it will go.

Dave400ex
01-10-2006, 04:42 PM
You will be amazed with that setup I'm sure. Baldwin is awesome with the 450's.

TWISTED
01-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by rookiex
I called mark a second ago.

1100 for the piston rings port polish bladwin cam ect ect.
500 for the new crank tear down work ect
685 for the FCR carb set up for the pipe an motor

2285.00 I will be spending.

I asked him for a national ready motor an he gave me the no b.s deal he said it will run with the best.

But its got to be done.

My motor comes out this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!To mark it will go.

I think it will be money well spent!!!

JRP
01-10-2006, 05:34 PM
like if i wanted to do the same... would there be a big reliability issue.. like i know the motor will be full blown but like will it be breaking down and making me rebuild it..? thanks

Airik79mx
01-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by JRP
like if i wanted to do the same... would there be a big reliability issue.. like i know the motor will be full blown but like will it be breaking down and making me rebuild it..? thanks

I keep my air filter clean, oil changed, valve's in spec and I never had a problem with my motor..

xx3003xrdrxx
01-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Airick do you work at Baldwins ?

ThumPIN_450R
01-10-2006, 07:17 PM
why are you spending all this money on a motor when you're a "C" level rider? No offense or anything but at that level there is allot of riding you can do before you need that extra horse power.

Airik79mx
01-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by xx3003xrdrxx
Airick do you work at Baldwins ?

No, I'd like to...Why?

TRXDresh
01-10-2006, 09:12 PM
If you have already done this, don't listen to me, but otherwise, sink that money into suspension before the motor. A good rider with a suspension setup and a stock motor could beat most anyone with a tricked out motor and stock suspension.

TRXDresh
01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh ya, and at the MX nationals there are alot of sandbaggers in the C class. Some C-class guys have full on Walsh or Holz bikes with Badd arse engines, and they can ride too. I don't understand that!

ThumPIN_450R
01-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by TRXDresh
Oh ya, and at the MX nationals there are alot of sandbaggers in the C class. Some C-class guys have full on Walsh or Holz bikes with Badd arse engines, and they can ride too. I don't understand that!

I was at glen helen last year and what I saw in the C classes was people with more money than riding ability for the most part. I think I could have beat most of them on a 100% stock bike. I am a beleiver that you should get the most out of what you have before you start spending money on it. If you think about it if you're not using every thing you got buying more is just something you'll never use isn't it?

TRXDresh
01-10-2006, 09:40 PM
My idea if the C class is beginning riders that can not jump everything out there on the track. I am not a MXer, but I would like to be able to go to a National and be able to ride in a class that I could compete in. If a guy rides nothing but MX locally, and is in the top of his class, he should not be in the C class. True, there are many C-class riders that should be there, but there are a few that need to move up.

rookiex
01-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Hold on dont get me wrong fellas im no chump.but I can hold my own an im getting better I put all my heart into this. AND ive seen dudes in the C class that are insane now.National guys I mean im getting into C class to test the waters,moving my way up ya know.Ive raced aginst allot of C class national riders an beat them.I think I went to pass one this weekend an he races an rides all the time.Infact I was told he was moving up to B this year.Ive only had this 450 for a lil bit and Im just getting back into it.But im keeping pace.Im not winning but the guys showing up at these races are production B and Open A riders.An im not that far behind at all.

I hear what your saying however.But ive got the money my suspension is ready.I need time to be able to get use to that power before I hit the nationals.I want to learn on it while its got that power and now have it be a total shock to me when I just hop it up an hit the nationals.

Im I just stupid or do I have a point?

Im glad you guys are telling me this and not being modist I like the truth.It helps me think it all out.

Diedrich
01-10-2006, 10:58 PM
yea man if u got the suspension go ahead and get the motor work done...i know you've been riding for awhile and ur right, u will need to get used to the new motor and power before u start nationals..if i was u i would go ahead and get the motor built

ThumPIN_450R
01-11-2006, 07:55 AM
yes you do have a point but from my experiance in a long season things are gonna break ( I happen to be on motor # 4). If you're racing C class and can compete in the c class on what you have I would go cam and piston leave the rest of the motor stock and keep that money for emergancy situations like blown motors or any other type of breakdown that may happen throughout the national season.

dober250R
01-11-2006, 09:04 AM
xx3003xrdrxx
Theres obviously some thinking behind that , hes the probably the best engnine builder of our time and YOU are correcting his work ??

all I'm saying is everyone thinks that baldwin, or sparks are the only people that build fast motors..........It is not rocket science to build a fast motor, nor are there any secrets. That everyone claims there are. Run a high comp. piston, good cam, good porting, bam, there's your baseline........ And if you want more compression, mill the head.... If you know what you're doing, anybody an build their own fast motor. Like anything else in life, there are limits.

rookiex
01-11-2006, 03:53 PM
humm. I think ill just have him cam/high comp piston/port polish and work up the carb a bit an dial it in.

hsr
01-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by dober250R
xx3003xrdrxx
Theres obviously some thinking behind that , hes the probably the best engnine builder of our time and YOU are correcting his work ??

all I'm saying is everyone thinks that baldwin, or sparks are the only people that build fast motors..........It is not rocket science to build a fast motor, nor are there any secrets. That everyone claims there are. Run a high comp. piston, good cam, good porting, bam, there's your baseline........ And if you want more compression, mill the head.... If you know what you're doing, anybody an build their own fast motor. Like anything else in life, there are limits.

AMEN, the only thing that baldwin , sparks etc have is a lot of experience

Hondacrf15
01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My point exactly. And is this not what we pay for? Anybody can do the work and the parts cost is the same across the board. However, I want to know the motor builder has tons of experience and knowledge behind them. Leave the corner garage operations to someone else. I've seen alot of people get burned on a "really good deal" motor.

rookiex
01-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Thats what im saying too.Im sure me an my dad could do it.But I want to be able to trust my motor. I know they can blow at the drop of a dime.But atleast I can say ''my baldwin motor blew, but it ran like a raped ape before it happend'' lol.

I just want to get what I pay for.An I KNOW mark takes care of his people.I have a half dozen friends running his motors in yfz's an trx's an they just eat me on hole shot.

kgd57
01-11-2006, 11:40 PM
stay away from the FCR carb

i know what kind of motor u are wanting ... the fastest one out there but sometimes u are paying for the name... im not taking ne thing away from mark his work is awesome but paying that much for a motor is a little high
i didnt run a honda last year but my teammate did (ryan sowers, look himup) he pulled countless holeshots and had a few moto wins in 265 abd prob. B on a 900 dollar motor built by mike owens
if u want a good name and a really good motor go with mark.. but before spending that kind of money do some more asking around... maybe money is no object but the wait time with mark is very unpredictable but well worth the wait

if u wanna know more about a owens motor just ask me

slosh13
01-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey Korey how you been man? I havent seen you guys in forever. We are definately gonna have to get together this year and practice. Look me up at the Gatorback national.:D

kgd57
01-12-2006, 01:46 PM
pretty good.... hows the bike comming along?

slosh13
01-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Bikes all done. I have been practicing at NEMX, the indoor track up here in Andover. Hows yours coming?

kgd57
01-12-2006, 02:27 PM
getting there.... just got the new JB swingarm and gtthunder link in like monday or tuesday and baldwin sent out my rear shock today...(i dunno if i was suppose to tell ne one or not cuz owens told me there are only going to be a few of the new set ups avalible before cali.) the bike is up at gtthunder right now getting the cam redegreed becuase we put a oversized piston in but it wasnt a mx style so we milled down the head to get more compression...

u wouldnt happen to know ne one who what to buy a brand new jb swing arm baldwin link and pep rear shock (last years model)... i ordered it and got it in the same week i found out that Laz mark and jody had just came out with a new set up so now i have two different rear ends that are both new

ne ways... so are u going race at gatorback this year

i just got home from FL about a week ago... we rode down there for about 2 weeks... maybe i will see u up at summit if u go

slosh13
01-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Ya im planning on racing in Florida. Production A and 265 A. I will more than likely be at Summit saturday afternoon-night. Hope to see you there. Tell your mom and dad I said hello too:)

rookiex
01-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Yeah Korey Deason You know me man. I was talking to you ryan an your dad at roberts arena #20 Im workin my way up.Like your dad said..Lots of seat time practice an hitting the nationals an ill be flying in no time.

But thanks...what kind of a deal can owens hook me up with?

PM me