PDA

View Full Version : Possible Youth 250cc Race Quad Build.

Pvt. Maggot
01-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Well, I haven't had a quad in about two years, Which sucks beyond anything. Riding was my love, And I have decided it is time to get back into riding, So I decided i'd like to come back with a bang, Custom style :D I've had this ATV planned out for quite awhile, still have little things to tweak in my plans, but i've got a basic plan to work on, This quad is going to consist of a 400ex frame, modded to accept a 450r subframe. I'm hoping to lighten it up a little this way, plus have some extra aluminum to polish hah, I already have a pep rear shock for it, I'll be running a stock 400ex swingarm untill I determine if I need an extended swinger or not, +2 a-arms and a +4 axle for stance, Depending on cash i'll either run reworked stock 450r front shocks, or some peps. I already have Cr high bend bars for it, I'll be running a stock steering stem, It will be powered by a Yz250f motor, Which may or may not be modded at start, but will be after the quad is ridden and tested, cooling will be done by a 250r rad, in bike form the oil is stored in the frame insted of an oil tank, I believe a stock 400ex oil tank will work fine, I'll be using a stock 250f headpipe or other headpipe if needed, with a TC shorty silencer, Other things will be worked out when the time comes, The one thing i'm pondering most is what gearing i'm going to need to run, I'll be running 18" tires, any ideas? Looking for all opnions and suggestions, Would you guys really be intrested in seeing this quad built? All feedback welcome. Thanks guys! :macho

Pvt. Maggot (Jack)

Ripitupfilms
01-10-2006, 08:09 AM
it would be sick but dont plan on getting to race because alot of people arnt goin to have that at their tracks

dirtmomma
01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I"m VERY interested to see if you do this how it turns out!!!!!!! We would LOVE to find a 250F motor for a frame we have, we were just talking about it this weekend, thought about the blasty frame but then I said heck lets just use my 300 frame :D:D:D I think it'll be a sweet bike once you get it done!! GOOD LUCK

Pvt. Maggot
01-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Why would I not be able to race it? Its the same as the 450 hybrids racing. Thanks for showing intrest dirtmomma. I'm in the process of selling two of my trucks, i'm going to be ordering parts soon :) :macho

Pvt. Maggot
01-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Just had a quick thought, Do these bikes have accel pumps like the 400ex carb? If not, would using a 400ex carb provide more low end power or anything close? Just a idea I had. :)

bwamos
01-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Why not use the 450r frame? It is already setup to accept a radiator.

Just currious on why you want the 400ex frame over a 450r one?

Pvt. Maggot
01-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Basically because of the price issue, and its simple to mount a rad on the 400ex frame. :) + 400ex parts are cheaper and easier to find.

theTman
01-10-2006, 01:50 PM
hey jake check your PMs

zeppelin
01-10-2006, 02:03 PM
hey maggot i dont really think the 250f motor is really a good idea, my main ride is a yz250f and after riding some yfz450's to me they feel just like a 250f with 4 wheels, its kinda hard to explain. it feels like the other 200cc just made up for the power loss of the extra rear wheel and added weight so you would probably be disapointed with it afterwards. i think it would be pretty sweet though to put a ktm300exc motor in a quad frame

drifterx
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Sounds sweet! I don't see why you couldn't race youth production, and such, but you couldn't do GNCC (don't think you'd want to with those 18" rear tires). I'd go for it! Never seen one like that, i'm interested to see how it turns out! Let us know how the build goes!

fastex91
01-10-2006, 09:22 PM
He can't race it in the production class, because it isn't a production made bike. He'll have to race it against the big bikes, ie. 450's.

kyleschonert
01-11-2006, 08:39 AM
he could race in the sport class at the nationals couldnt he? if not, hed be fine at local races. im in an arenacross series right now and there is a kid that has one of those motors in a 400ex frame. the motor is all stock except for a modded yfz 450 Flow exhaust on it. i beat him, a powroll352 stroker 300, and a couple of other fast bikes off the line in the main with my 330. his motor is all mid to top, he has no low end at all. but once he gets in the open on the straights you have no luck in catchin him at all. The bike motors are so quick its unbeleivable. What you should do is, is get a 450R frame, and a CR250F dirt bike motor. I read on a post on here somewhere, and thats what all the kids in europe are doing. they look sweet. but sorry i got off topic there, you should be able to race at local races and just be protested, but they will still let you race.

Pvt. Maggot
01-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Keep the info coming :) Still wondering if I should use the stock 37mm fcr carb or the 400ex's 38mm carb with the accelerator pump? Thanks guys.

fastex91
01-11-2006, 10:11 PM
That kid you race is from Albion IL. and he's only had it for less than a year. He mostly only races indoors and fair races.

zeppelin
01-12-2006, 05:35 AM
my yz250f uses a 40mm fcr :ermm:

MX174
01-12-2006, 06:03 AM
If im not mistaken the kid that kyleschonert is talking about isnt from Albion, think theres another one running around now.

bracey
01-12-2006, 11:00 AM
if you want to see one completed just look on the site kidsonquads.com they have one onthat site bad as????????? looking quad

Ripitupfilms
01-12-2006, 12:36 PM
heres one but still not production

kyleschonert
01-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by fastex91
That kid you race is from Albion IL. and he's only had it for less than a year. He mostly only races indoors and fair races.
i know. tyler longbons. he raced at Duqoin one time this winter in the Mid America ArenaXross series and won it. and he does only race indoors and fair races and kills everyone.

kyleschonert
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by MX174
If im not mistaken the kid that kyleschonert is talking about isnt from Albion, think theres another one running around now.
your right, there is another one. lol. Keith Westall or Ken Westall, something like that. his is bad ***! Lonestar frame, TCS longtravel's and Roll Design Front End. Axis rear and i think roll design swinger. And that motor. He did switch it out with a 426 motor also, but now he has a seperate frame for that, and a 250R to race the 2-stroke class. he is really good.

300ex_#387
01-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Yep lol...there is 3 of them with 250f's. Corey steber, Tyler Longbons, and Justin Westall. We kinda get screwed around here lol...All of them are good riders though. Corey Steber is the one that Kyle is talking about that he raced. I think that is why corey was always last in the holeshot. I wonder if they are gonna change there gearing a little bit.

kyleschonert
01-12-2006, 04:16 PM
i forgot all about steber. lol. i think i can beat him if i get some stamina and get out in front of him. But yea, there all good riders. Westall and Longbons are orange and blue, and steber is the loner with silver.

300ex_#387
01-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Well lol Corey is the one that you have been racing the most. I think around the last 2 rounds he is really gonna start being better if he even races them. He only had the 4 wheeler together 2 weeks before that last race.

SidewaysSam
01-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Sorry to intrude in yalls discussion, but what about that kid on the red, black, and white quad that ran second. He has an all stock motor and killed those other bad boys!! :)

300ex_#387
01-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by SidewaysSam
Sorry to intrude in yalls discussion, but what about that kid on the red, black, and white quad that ran second. He has an all stock motor and killed those other bad boys!! :)

Ohh yeah him...yeah I guess he is ....alright lol...well hopefully I cna do as good as you did on my stock motor sam. Yeah I was very suprised on how well you did on those holeshots with that stock motor. It all comes down to the rider mainly.

kyleschonert
01-12-2006, 08:52 PM
haha. Did you get a good look at my *** there sam? lol. I had you on that holeshot bud! This 330 pulls hard! I woulda had ya if i wouldnt have ran that other class. lol. But i still had fun. You were flyin with that stock motor.lol. Hope to see ya out there again.

bracey
01-13-2006, 05:05 AM
the site is kidsonquads.com and it is under racing products but it has a RMZ 250 on it but it is bad looking

Pvt. Maggot
01-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by atvracer9m
heres one but still not production

Where did you get that pic, Do you happen to know the person who built it? If you could get me some contact info that would be awsome. Just thinking the only problems I will run into would be gearing.

Pvt. Maggot
01-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Bump, anyone else intrested?

humblesquirel21
01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
im interested in the build

ZeroLogic
01-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by humblesquirel21
im interested in the build

Same here.:macho

miniquaddad
04-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Add me to the list. I'd like to learn more about these 250 hybrids. Who built the ones in Illinois and how do I locate them?

kyleschonert
04-10-2006, 04:10 PM
416exmx on here built one of the baddest hybrids around here. then all the other guys built them by themselves. All you really need is a 400ex or 450R frame, (pref. 400 for cost reasons) and a 250 dirtbike motor. have someone make custom mounts and your good to go. I will prob. get crap for this, but to get the holeshot on one of these things you will need to mess with the gearing a bunch and have motorwork. One of the kids i race against had a stock motor with a pipe and i could pull him off the line with my motor that i have. BUt after that, they are blazing fast. But contact 416exmx to learn more about it, im sure he could hook you up.

SidewaysSam
04-11-2006, 10:26 PM
In addition to Kyles reply above, the motors have a lot of trouble at tight tracks and cornering. After a little motor work and some getting used to, they are pretty much unstopable. When one of us on the "old school quads" beats one of the hybrids its just as good as winning.

Jay87
04-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by kyleschonert
I read on a post on here somewhere, and thats what all the kids in europe are doing. they look sweet. but sorry i got off topic there, you should be able to race at local races and just be protested, but they will still let you race.

yes thats right over here its 200cc air/liquid cooled 2 stroke to 250cc air/liquid cooled 4 stroke. that is the youth class.

there is about 7-8 250's with 450 frames in one of the main clubs and they usually win with a blaster tossed in between them lol. theres no 300ex's cause there not allowed :ermm: nobodys done it yet but id like to see what a ktm 200 sx engine would be like. gas gas 200's are very fast aswell and they come race ready. i think the cc rule could be changing in america soon aswell.